Went over to Buffalo's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
    I would rather watch others play on 4 or 4 1/8 than play on them myself. Makes those guys look almost human.
    Yeah, that's better. Or even better, I take the 4.5" pocket and the inhuman shooter gets 4.125!
    "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

I agree with Renegade, Doc & Cory 1,000% - 4" pockets are macho idiocy - they are not at all conducive to the beauty of pocket billiards - can you imagine the World 14.1 Tournament being played on 4" pockets? - wouldn't be much hope of seeing a stellar 150-and-out run anymore...imo all tables for serious play should be 4-3/8'' at the smallest, or 4-1/2" at the largest.

- Ghost
      Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 05-30-2017, 01:20 AM.
      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

I had a long running disagreement with the pro who covers the tables at HOB.
        During the time we were having 14.1 tournaments I told him he was making the pockets too tight. He said it wasnt tight but it was because of the expertise of the shooter and his inability to shoot straight.
        Mike Massey came in and tried to spot a guy 50 no count. He gave up. He said he couldnt do it on the tables with such a tight pocket.
        Yeah great for the pro expert player but most of us are normal human beings and we enjoy a good game.
        These tiny pockets are ridiculous and cause you anxiety instead of levity.

Comment

Thanks for the report Doc. I agree that 4.125" pockets are too tight for below average players like myself. Imo the tighter the pocket the more it favors guys like Dennis because of his ball striking ability.

Comment

One area of seating which provided viewing of several matches at a time was behind a pool table which was covered by a plastic tarp... Out of curiosity I lifted the tarp off a corner pocket to examine the pocket size on that table...

I took a credit card, stood it on edge length wise, and slid it from the pocket opening towards the back of the pocket... The card just barely fit in the opening, it got stuck and stood up by itself less than a half inch into the pocket... If I bent the card to resemble a somewhat flat "C" it would fit in the back of that pocket...

I measured that credit card just now... It is 3 3/8 inches exactly... Which means that corner pocket opening was no wider than 3 1/2 inches and the back of the pocket facing was about 3 1/4 inches wide...

Granted, they had that table covered, and not in use during the tournament, but they must have had a reason to cut the openings that small... And brother, they were small!

Maybe one of the locals could comment on that table and if it's ever used and how it plays...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
              One area of seating which provided viewing of several matches at a time was behind a pool table which was covered by a plastic tarp... Out of curiosity I lifted the tarp off a corner pocket to examine the pocket size on that table...

I took a credit card, stood it on edge length wise, and slid it from the pocket opening towards the back of the pocket... The card just barely fit in the opening, it got stuck and stood up by itself less than a half inch into the pocket... If I bent the card to resemble a somewhat flat "C" it would fit in the back of that pocket...

I measured that credit card just now... It is 3 3/8 inches exactly... Which means that corner pocket opening was no wider than 3 1/2 inches and the back of the pocket facing was about 3 1/4 inches wide...

Granted, they had that table covered, and not in use during the tournament, but they must have had a reason to cut the openings that small... And brother, they were small!

Maybe one of the locals could comment on that table and if it's ever used and how it plays...
              Buff does have one red label table that is probably 3 1/2 inches. I have practiced on that table but it's to brutal for me to even practice on. I think Buff is going change the top on it

Comment

Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
                I would rather watch others play on 4 or 4 1/8 than play on them myself. Makes those guys look almost human.
                We are for sure playing on a 4 1/8 table

Comment

Pocket Sizes

Having watched several of the matches at Buffalo’s tournament on line, I am really blown away by the skill level of these players. The ultra-tight 4 1/8 pockets seemed to be less of a problem than one might expect for most of these guys. Also, the fact that they carried out their uncanny cue ball control while dealing with the aforementioned pocket sizes made the level of play truly amazing.

Being a mediocre player and diehard fan, I really enjoyed and appreciated the level of play by these pros.

I guess it was a way to understand why we like to watch the major leagues.

After reading some of the other posts regarding the pocket sizes, I tend to agree with Doc Tripp. Anything less than 4 1/2 inches screws up the game.

Comment

Doc, thanks for the update. I can't wait for the West Coast Swing especially the One Pocket in Fremont.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory in dc View Post
                      I couldn't agree more! And 4.5" makes all the more sense if you're trying to finish a tournament in a reasonable amount of time.
                      You know, I really don't think the outcome would be different. Dennis was at the top of his game and plays me win in that situation. I can see where some of the other guys that played and lost on that table COULD make an argument that the tight pockets cost them, but I think all the guys were too classy to say so, at least publicly, and good on them.
                      Renegade

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade_56 View Post
                        You know, I really don't think the outcome would be different. Dennis was at the top of his game and plays me win in that situation. I can see where some of the other guys that played and lost on that table COULD make an argument that the tight pockets cost them, but I think all the guys were too classy to say so, at least publicly, and good on them.
                        For sure -- I wouldn't want to hear players complaining about pocket size when they're the same for everyone. Fans and tournament directors can do the complaining.
                        "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

I didn't see the pocket size causing any issues. They fired them in when they had to, and slow rolled them when they needed to. The missed shots I saw were not all balls rattled and hung in the jaws, they were just missed shots. Sure, I saw some balls hung but that even happens on Valley bar tables with 5 inch (or bigger) pockets. Personally, I like the 4.125-4.25 inch pockets. It gives the players more rail to play with and allows for some spectacular banks!

It was a great weekend! It always is at Buffalo's in either location. There was not a bad seat in the house!

Oh, one more thing, I was also told the 'broke-in' cloth was at the request of the players. As far as the cleanliness of the TV table, it was in constant action! If the players wanted it cleaned, they only needed to ask and it would be done. I just don't think it matters that much to them.
                          "You can have the bragging rights, I'll take the cash!"-me

Comment

Working...
                          X