Legal or Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
    Sizzr, I can't vote on this one. It's a tough call. It certainly is creative as I've never seen a shot like this before and I'm pretty old. There are rules about bridges and I think another poster said that you can stack two bridges and that is a rule for 14.1 for sure but I don't know about one pocket. I mean there are so many new tools available to us nowadays like:

- jump cues
    - cue extensions
    - extra large bridge heads
    - and this one

What seems to me is that we might consider adopting a platform for really standardizing the rules for One Pocket such that the rules would incorporate these devices and perhaps conduct as well. I think the BCA (governing body) would have to approve but I think we should consider doing so. I think Tom Wirth, Dr. Bill and many others in our group could convene a mini convention on the subject.
    When that Bridge Convention is gaveled to order they should also consider whether or not to allow the new Amazon Bridge (ships free overnight with Prime). It has multiple articulated brass bridge heads and drone rotors at either end. It can bring you a drink after the servers are done with you.

Some folks have been successful using the prototype Amazon bridge for massé shots from mid table, others don't like the noise from the motors. The one I tested tried to follow a waitress into the restroom after completing an especially stressful high altitude shot and was banned from the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by youngstownkid View Post
      Legal or not...

Giordano's deep dish!
      Highly legal as long as you're not counting calories.
      Live long and play strong,
      -Chicagomike

Comment

Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
        The bridge is being used to assist the shooter in a hard to reach shot. The technique may be novel, but the bridge is being used for its intended purpose.
        That's my vote.

I've stacked two bridges on top of each other once in a while and never had complaints. Like this one, people mostly say "that's clever, I'll have to use that sometime!"
        "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
          To those of you who suggest the bridge is not being used in the manner for which it was intended I must ask how you come to that conclusion. He is obviously using it to bridge over a cluster of ball which is exactly what the bridge is for. He is simply using it in a unique way.

I first saw this in the 2002 US Open in Portland Maine. Santos Sambijon (sp?) used it on me and I asked the same question of the TD. He had to think about it for a moment and saw no reason to disqualify the method so Santos was free to shoot his shot. I thought it was a great and inventive way to play his position and over the years I've even used it on rare occasions. I've shown it to many players since then and I see it is becoming more frequently used.

What's to argue about?

Tom
          I think it should be legal. I've used it a couple of times with no complains but never with the chalk. Did Santos use the chalk?

Comment

Originally posted by RedCard View Post
            When that Bridge Convention is gaveled to order they should also consider whether or not to allow the new Amazon Bridge (ships free overnight with Prime). It has multiple articulated brass bridge heads and drone rotors at either end. It can bring you a drink after the servers are done with you.

Some folks have been successful using the prototype Amazon bridge for massé shots from mid table, others don't like the noise from the motors. The one I tested tried to follow a waitress into the restroom after completing an especially stressful high altitude shot and was banned from the joint.
            Ha! That's a riot!...

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
              I think it should be legal. I've used it a couple of times with no complains but never with the chalk. Did Santos use the chalk?
              No Frank, he probably would have if he needed to raise the bridge handle higher but instead he needed to raise the bridge head, so he turned it on its end.
              Highly inventive!

Just my opinion but when something as novel as that is employed it would be a shame for some governing body to step in the way of progress and outlaw it. Shouldn't we all be looking for new ways to enhance the quality of our favorite game?

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
                No Frank, he probably would have if he needed to raise the bridge handle higher but instead he needed to raise the bridge head, so he turned it on its end.
                Highly inventive!

Just my opinion but when something as novel as that is employed it would be a shame for some governing body to step in the way of progress and outlaw it. Shouldn't we all be looking for new ways to enhance the quality of our favorite game? :)

Tom
                tom i dont think it should be legal
                new ways to enhance our game means jump cues are ok,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                  tom i dont think it should be legal
                  new ways to enhance our game means jump cues are ok,,,,,
                  I see your point Larry. Personally, I am opposed to jump cues in any game, including rotation games. I believe it is arguable as to whether they enhance the game of pool. On one hand they help create very interesting shots and can be exciting to see. Jumping balls is legal in One Pocket but must be used with the same cue as used in the normal course of a game. A bridge is a bridge and is used with a single intention. Bottom line, I would not be one to stand in the way of legalizing jump cues in One Pocket but like you, I hope it doesn't happen.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                    Ha! That's a riot!...

~Doc
                    I think we see where Red Card got his handle.

Drone bridge

Comment

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                      I think we see where Red Card got his handle.

Drone bridge
                      He's always been in a very elite league of his own.. You have to watch those Monte Men. You could get an earful of cider...
                      "Born Into This"

Comment

to me
                        the intended use of the bridge is to put the cue thru a groove in the head of the bridge and shoot
                        when you stack 2 or more bridges which is perfectly legal to me BECAUSE you still end up using the head of the bridge to shoot your shot
                        jmho
                        icbw
                        if the player in the pic took a buch of chalks and laid a house cue on them and did the same thing you would not say it was lrgal ...would you??
                        if that is not legal
                        than why does the fact that he has the bridge head on one rail make it legal??

Comment

Perfectly legal. (except for the chalk)

Using the bridge this way has been used many times in 14-1 to shoot over the rack.

Usually it is limited to using just two bridges.
                          Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

Comment

From WPA's rules it looks pretty clearly illegal to me.
                            It defines the bridge's use as to support the cue stick. Not a hand.

Comment

SCRZBILL. is that what you had in mind? LOL

Maybe we are in for another version/thread?

Comment

Originally posted by sneakynito View Post
                                From WPA's rules it looks pretty clearly illegal to me.
                                It defines the bridge's use as to support the cue stick. Not a hand.

thanks for finding that
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	kudos.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	395291

Comment

Working...
                                X