No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. John 24 wwyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you're kicking and coming off the bottom of the 12 and back to the 6-15?

Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
    My shot is to wedge the cb into the 15 and 6. Kicking side rail, end rail and trying to catch top side of the 6 ball and wedging the cb in between the 15,6.

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
      So you're kicking and coming off the bottom of the 12 and back to the 6-15?
      I am kicking at my pockets side rail and then the end rail to wedge the cb. Cb will travel about 2 feet. Simple to execute as long as the speed is good. Buys me some time until I can move to get something more aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakie View Post
        Trick shot time here WTF

Elevate your cue to shoot down on the cue ball at 45 degree angle straight into the long rail above your pocket. Cue ball will come off of the rail airborne and over the cluster of balls striking the long rail on your opponents side and back into the cluster. Shot requires a short punch type hit. The risk here is hitting it too hard and flying off the table but it can be managed.
        i didnt see that, but good thinking--hope youre feeling better these days-pib

Comment

This WWYD doesn't have a "right" answer IMO. You are in a terrible situation and there isn't a quick fix for it.

I went to the table yesterday and played with this for a while. The 3 rail kick into those balls is obviously the strongest shot here, however without practicing it first and getting a feel for the shot with your table, it isn't that simple. I had to shoot it 3-4 times before I could repeat it, and Steve had the same results when he tried it as well. You would most likely (75%+) hit it poorly the very first time you tried it on any given random table.

The very first (and only) time I tried the soft kick on the 12 I hit it perfectly. I then tried multiple kicks from there to see how often I could 100% lock the position down such that they were worse than before. It's not as easy as you think it is. If you leave the bank on the 4, it's a high % to make or hang and you can easily win the game if you make it. If you leave me any space on that bottom ball, I softly tap it out and freeze you under those balls. From there the ball on your side is dangerous and allows them a bank you have to guard against.

Comment

Also, Ghost is 100% correct about banking the 4 from here. If you try and drive through the frozen ball and bank it anyway, it goes horribly wrong.

Comment

Well, unsurprisingly, since I have been playing 3cushion for 51 years now and know a bit about diamond systems (and since I know this table) - the shot I liked best here by far (as did a few of youse guys) was the 3-rail kick into my cluster...fortunately, getting only one shot at it (since as usual, it was in an actual game) I hit it correctly and went into the cluster accurately - and made a legal hit...

...and so from that very weak position, because I hit it well, but even more so because of how the cueball just by chance ended up frozen under the 5/and at a perfect angle for me (resulting in John having no path available to him to get me back behind the cluster)..not only did I escape the trap, but I actually now have John in a bit of a trap.....here's how it turned out >>>

PS, The angle for John off of being frozen to the 5, is such that if he grazed the 5 as thin as possible, he would hit his long rail 3/4 of a diamond below his side pocket.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 07-03-2017, 02:41 PM.
              jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Great shot!

I'd love to know what he chose to shoot from here.

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                Well, unsurprisingly, since I have been playing 3cushion for 51 years now and know a bit about diamond systems (and since I know this table) - the shot I liked best here (as did a few of youse guys) was the 3-rail kick into my cluster...fortunately, getting only one shot at it (since as usual, it was in an actual game) I hit it correctly and went into the cluster accurately - and made a legal hit...

...and so from that very weak position, because I hit it well, but even more so because of how the cueball just by chance ended up frozen under the 5, and at a perfect angle for me (resulting in John having no path available to him to get me back behind the cluster)..not only did I escape the trap, but I actually now have John in a bit of a trap.....here's how it turned out >>>

Comment

Originally posted by 1pwannabe View Post
                  Great shot!

I'd love to know what he chose to shoot from here.
                  Skim the 5, now that 3 ball combo is gone. Put cue ball on table head by pocket.
                  Bill Meacham
                  WBT
                  www.worldbilliardtour.com
                  no link....

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
                    Skim the 5, now that 3 ball combo is gone. Put cue ball on table head by pocket.
                    The 4 ball cut is free from there, might lose the game if he makes it.

Comment

If the CB is frozen to the 5, elevate and smack right into the 5-15. All three OBs go bye-bye...

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
                        I hit the CB with center high, so no spot-on-the-wall technique was used. I play on that table often enough, so I have a good feel for how it banks. I hit the CB the way I did to stay clear of the side pocket on the opponent's side and still manage to reach the target on the bottom rail. Had I used running English, I would have had to hit the side rail a full diamond higher (just below my side pocket). But by doing so I'd be flirting with the opponent's side pocket and possibly scratching. By the way, even though I hit it perfect on my first try, I did hit it bad on other tries as I was experimenting with cushion reaction and how to alter the angle with and without English

I agree with you that the three-rail kick is the way to go. Kudos to the guy that suggested it.
                        Well, unsurprisingly, since I have been playing 3cushion for 51 years now and know a bit about diamond systems (and since I know this table) - the shot I liked best here by far (as did a few of youse guys) was the 3-rail kick into my cluster...fortunately, getting only one shot at it (since as usual, it was in an actual game) I hit it correctly and went into the cluster accurately - and made a legal hit...

...and so from that very weak position, because I hit it well, but even more so because of how the cueball just by chance ended up frozen under the 5/and at a perfect angle for me (resulting in John having no path available to him to get me back behind the cluster)..not only did I escape the trap, but I actually now have John in a bit of a trap.....here's how it turned out >>>

PS, The angle for John off of being frozen to the 5, is such that if he grazed the 5 as thin as possible, he would hit his long rail 3/4 of a diamond below his side pocket.
                        great shot ghost ...
                        onerock mentioned he hit with no spin
                        where did you aim and what spin did you use ??

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                          great shot ghost ...
                          onerock mentioned he hit with no spin
                          where did you aim and what spin did you use ??
                          Thanks Larry - and Tom.

This was from a few weeks ago, and I don't remember how short/long the table was playing that day - so I can't tell you exactly where I hit the long rail...but I shot it with approx. 1 tip of running english, which is what I will always use for this type of billiard.

- Ghost
                          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

I'm still not convinced this was the best option. Maybe my inexperience is playing tricks on me! Lol

Comment

Thanks Larry - and Tom.

This was from a few weeks ago, and I don't remember how short/long the table was playing that day - so I can't tell you exactly where I hit the long rail...but I shot it with approx. 1 tip of running english, which is what I will always use for this type of billiard.

- Ghost
                              thanks ghost

Comment

Working...
                              X