first time you ever played one pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grady

Colorado Springs, 1973 or 4. He gave me 10-6 and I somehow won, (the backer was his wifes titty bar den mother money) and got the heat from her, never from him. Never played it again till these past few years, and still don't understand how I won knowing NOTHING at all about the game and He knowing the game.
    Bill Meacham
    WBT
    www.worldbilliardtour.com
    no link....

Comment

Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
      I couldn't play nine ball and I couldn't play snooker at least with any chance of playing decent players and an old man named Tommy the Greek told me to start playing One Pocket. This was 1967 in Los Angeles at an old pool room downtown called the Brunswick Billiard Academy. I immediately took to the game and played day and night and within a year I was a decent player. I began playing in the Hollywood area and with all the action there I was able to step my game up a bit. You have to have competition to get better and there sure was competition in Hollywood. I have read posts that Gulfport Doc and the Ghost played in the area but I can't remember them and I wish I had met them back then. That advice from my old buddy Tommy the Greek, helped fuel my passion for the game and it still exists to this day.
      I'm sure I must have seen you at Mr. Pockets on 6th St., because you used to go in there. I was there mostly in '69-'70. Then I found Chopsticks Billiards and Tiff Payne's in N. Hollywood, and they became my steady rooms. I was only at Ye Billiard Den a few times. Didn't like it. But Ghost and all those thieves hung out there in the late '60s and early '70s I believe. And there was this snappy Hawiian kid named Keone who was a real up & comer...

I never knew the Billiard Academy, although I knew about Romy's. I also liked Celebrity Billiards on Vine.

~Doc

Comment

Not totally on topic but I did mention in my earlier post that I might finally get a game, well it did happen and it felt great. Was a little rusty but still enjoyed it.

Comment

Doc, Romys was 4th and main and I also played out of Chopsticks where the best thieves in the county played. You must remember Cokes, Hollywood Jack, Fat Bob, Jeff Mervis and a host of others. I didn't go to Tiff Paynes as it was a 3C room mainly but I did hang out at Mr. Pockets on 6th street and ventured into Hollywood on a daily basis. Pool was very big back in the late 60's and you couldn't go five minutes without hitting a pool hall somewhere. Hawaiian Brian and I were roommates back then and we went on the road quite a bit. One time we left Mr. Pockets heading up to the Bay Area only to stop into Big Mamas in North Hollywood and didn't leave for two days after we busted everyone there twice. My nickname in North Hollywood was Dr. Death given me by Cokes who I made some big scores off of. I lost too just like everyone else but I just loved to rumble with those guys because they got so mad when they lost thinking they had the nuts.

Comment

Doc, Romys was 4th and main and I also played out of Chopsticks where the best thieves in the county played. You must remember Cokes, Hollywood Jack, Fat Bob, Jeff Mervis and a host of others. I didn't go to Tiff Paynes as it was a 3C room mainly but I did hang out at Mr. Pockets on 6th street and ventured into Hollywood on a daily basis. Pool was very big back in the late 60's and you couldn't go five minutes without hitting a pool hall somewhere. Hawaiian Brian and I were roommates back then and we went on the road quite a bit. One time we left Mr. Pockets heading up to the Bay Area only to stop into Big Mamas in North Hollywood and didn't leave for two days after we busted everyone there twice. My nickname in North Hollywood was Dr. Death given me by Cokes who I made some big scores off of. I lost too just like everyone else but I just loved to rumble with those guys because they got so mad when they lost thinking they had the nuts.
            Wonder why you never came into Ye Billiard Den. Brooklyn Pancho, Butch, Cuban Joe, Danny D, Lenny Moore, Ronnie Caan (Jimmy's brother), Black Rudy, Iceman, Hollywood Jack, and a bunch of degenerates were regulars there. Hawaiian Brian was in regular attendance as a fellow Hawaiian eventually bought out the place.
            Also remember Tournament Billiards in Culver City. Preacher Red, Cecil, Rags, Banking Mike, I remember played there as well.

Comment

Sure I remember those guys; plus Howard, Gene the Machine, Fitz, Louie "The Magic Man" St. Pierre, Harry "The Hook" Cohen, and many others.

In '70-'71 I used to frequent Big Mamas quite often because when Coke had it, he'd blacken the windows, lock the doors and stay open all night-- including the bar. I'm sure he paid off the cops. I think even RA had a piece of it for awhile, but with those guys, and all the drugs/booze in those days, they weren't going to hold onto it very long.

"Coke" had a nose and nostrils that befitted his nickname.. His real name escapes me at the moment, but a couple of years back I did a web search for him in L.A., and was shocked to find out that he was not only still alive, but that he was a very successful real estate salesman! He was never a top player, probably under Hyd Jack, maybe like Tony Ola; but he loved the action in pool and cards.

~Doc

Comment

Jerry, Doc, & Keone....I posted up this pic once before, years ago...I think you'll enjoy seeing it...

It's my Ye Billiard Den t-shirt that I got there at the poolroom in about 1968, and I still have it - it's quite a nostalgic souvenir for me to have >>>
                Attached Files
                jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                  Jerry, Doc, & Keone....I posted up this pic once before, years ago...I think you'll enjoy seeing it...

It's my Ye Billiard Den t-shirt that I got there at the poolroom in about 1968, and I still have it - it's quite a nostalgic souvenir for me to have >>>
                  Brings back some good memories. It was such a stylized concept-- typical of the day, but like other kitschy styles, destined for old hathood.. I've forgotten when it closed, or under what circumstances. Keone probably knows. Maybe the rent got too high, or it just simply went out of favor.

~Doc

Comment

Ghost, that T-Shirt brings back memories. Do you still have the first dollar you won gambling? What a place, and, right in the middle of Hollywood with all the personalities and girls. What an action room. Do you remember Celebrity Billiards?

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                      Brings back some good memories. It was such a stylized concept-- typical of the day, but like other kitschy styles, destined for old hathood.. I've forgotten when it closed, or under what circumstances. Keone probably knows. Maybe the rent got too high, or it just simply went out of favor.

~Doc
                      People just stopped coming in and every one got wise to the propositions. It petered out and everyone went to 6th Street. By then the guys who were keeping the action going just looked for better spots.
                      I was a great time though. Every one had some kind of thing going or other. I had a great deal with some local guys and there was money to be made.

Comment

First Time One Pocket

Cornbreads on Westheimer in the mid 90s with a guy who called himself Super Mike.

Comment

John Ling and I stopped in at Beautiful Billiards, Long Beach, ca. '69, 18 yrs old. I was pretty much a newbie, probably under a year under my belt. Ran into Artesia Kenny and he explained One Pocket to me and gave me 8-5. We battled for a while then a partner of his came in, I guess he got a call from Kenny, It was Butch. I later found out he owned the Palace in Bellflower. Butch is the one that gave me my name of "Whitey". Well, after a couple of hours it was a draw. So we put all the money on the next game and played for it all. I got a shot up table and worked in 3 up table shots, and laid on my out ball which was up table with a back cut down the long rail to the hole. He had a ball by his pocket, 1st diamond side rail. So I back cut the ball with reverse so the cue ball would come off the opposite side rail and spin down so he would not have a shot if I missed. The cue ball pushed a little because of that reverse English and I over cut it, and missed. But the cue ball went safe on his ball but he made a good cross corner bank on the ball I missed, made his ball and a ball up table for the cash! Nice out, but what a nightmare!
                          I learned just pocket the ball when it is out ball. After that when that shot would come up, my side kick John Ling, would say; "the shot" !

My first experience playing 9-ball, never played, had only played 8-ball, was against a guy called Hollywood Joe, he wore huge glasses, tall slender. I was really a newbie, robbed my piggy bank and was going out to make some money. Well, I thought I was watching god himself for I did not know about moving the cue ball all around the table, it was truly amazing watching him pocket long shots and going three rails for position, I had never seen anything like that before, sure different than 8-ball, Wow! I mention this for maybe someone here maybe knew him. He would be about 30 in '69. Whitey

Comment

The first time I played one pocket I was 18 years old, I had been playing pool for a couple of years but only played nine ball. At the time I was living in Lancaster county, PA and played at a pool room called Diamond Billiards Room, which has long since closed. It was a nice place and a fairly good size, they used to have a Joss tour stop there, it was run by Coby Atkins, a strong regional player. There was a gentleman I used to play named Spanky, can't remember his actual first name. We played nine ball together a lot, just friendly games. One day we were playing races to seven and I beat him like 7-3, 7-4, and he said "kid I can't beat you at this game, lets play some one pocket." I had heard of the game but had never seen it played. So he gave me a short primer and we got to it. The first game I double banked a ball near the foot end of the table into my hole. I only knew of this shot from seeing how the ball reacted when I banked short playing nine ball. He said, "that was a great shot but you shouldn't have played it, look at all the balls you left me if you missed." I hadn't considered missing it . Anyhow he beat me every game. Shortly after that I started college and really kind of quit playing pool for about 12 years.

When I started playing again about two years ago, I started watching one pocket matches on youtube for some reason and got hooked on the game. Now its my favorite game to play.
                            Erik in Lancaster, PA

Comment

lancaster pa--isnt that amish country over there?

Comment

Man, some of y'all have really good memories. My first game of 1 pocket was probably around 3 years ago but i couldn't tell you the date or Important part is that it drove me absolutely insane, and I love it.
                                I retired from the Army in Jan 2013 and became a full time student which allowed me some free time during the day. I wasnt even what I would consider a half ass pool player at the time and truth be told not much better now. I'm just aware of a lot more things within the game that I'm not good at.lol The old man at the pool hall that cleaned the parking lot and cleaned the tables would always be in there finishing up his duties when i arrived around lunch. Man's name was Larry ?. Rumor has it that Larry owned a hell of a room back in the day called Shooters here in Augusta, Ga. I wasn't around during that time period but a lot of locals seem to have fond memories of the place. One day Larry got my ear when no one else was in the place and talked me into playing 1 Pocket for lunch. I didn't mind buying his lunch which I was well aware I was about to do. And.. so it began, everyday after that when I would come in, we would play a race to 5 in 9 ball for the first break in 1 pocket race to 3. I cant count how many times Larry left me straight-in to my hole from the head rail nor can I tell you how many months I shot at it and couldnt figure out why he was laughing even when i made it. lol This went on for about a year before I was invited into the old guy's doubles game that starts at 3 on the dot almost everyday. The old guys play a very tight game. They arent shooting at anything thats not a half table shot with a less than a half ball hit angle and they never shoot at 1 ball runs even if the one ball is in their pocket. They'd move so many balls to their hole before shooting that they couldnt get a clean shot sometimes. Larry disappeared about 18 months ago to God only knows where and I dont make it to play in the old guy's doubles game much although it taught me a lot. The bottom line is that Im hooked, just like everyone else here!

Comment

Working...
                                X