first time you ever played one pocket

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
mine was at starchers in akron-1980s--mike vero gave me 20 to 1--i had to put up 4 bucks-- i had no chance...at the time, i thought he was very lucky--now i know better....let's hear your story......

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Houseman Walt Krebbs from the cue and cushion on Cottman St. in Phila mid 60's. I learned the word TRAP. I learned what it's like to be on the receiving end every frkn time.
I had no idea what I was doing...he had every idea of what to do. I considered flattening his tires but he had no car. He was my favorite player. I liked the guy a lot.
There was another guy in the room that played very good competitive 1P. I got in trouble immediately. However no money involved. I was as cheap then as I am now:lol

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
first time you ever played one pocket

Fixed that for you, Frank.

However no money involved. I was as SMART then as I am now:lol

For me, it was 7 years ago at Takony Billiards. The guy was old so I knew he couldn't beat me. Meanwhile... you know the rest. He murdered me while his buddy berated me mercilessly. Heh. .... and I've been hooked ever since.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
student union at tulane university against jim "the harvard kid" (real name earl morgan...btw if anyone knows of him or has stories pm me please )

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I first played one-pocket with a little guy named Earl Rapier at Greenway Billiards in Baton Rouge - Earl is long dead now. I remember him as a guy who was convinced that his luck was the worst in the world. He offered to bet that he could call a coin flip wrong sixty times out of a hundred. Of course he failed to post up.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Fixed that for you, Frank.

For me, it was 7 years ago at Takony Billiards. The guy was old so I knew he couldn't beat me. Meanwhile... you know the rest. He murdered me while his buddy berated me mercilessly. Heh. .... and I've been hooked ever since.

And you are the first 1P diehard I met as I played next to you one day at Tacony.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
The first one-pocket game that I can remember playing was in the late 60's for money at Chicago's legendary Bensinger's Pool Room on Broadway and Diversey. I was introduced to Bensinger's by Butch DENNIS who was a gifted left-handed nine ball player who played out of another pool room we both frequented. Butch DENNIS said to me at the time, "If you want to learn the pool game you've got to go around to other rooms and play better players." So off I went.

The first three pool players (I "really, really" mean pool hustlers) I met at Bensinger's were "Reno," "Freddy the Banker" (Freddy BENTIVENGA later known as "Freddy the Beard), and "Artie" (Artie BODENDORFER). "Reno" was an average player who hustled the bars and supposedly sent his siblings to college with his winnings whereas "Freddy" and "Artie" are now legendary in the pool world. "Reno" set me up with an old man who was playing straight pool on a 5 by 10 table. After our $20 straight pool game, I knew I had no chance and quit. Afterward, I told "Reno" that he was much better than me. "Reno" replied, "Kid, I guess I overestimated your game but I can find you something easier." I later found out that old man's name was Al Smith who never won a major straight pool championship but came in second in quite a few of them. Fat chance of winning that bet!

A few months later I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Reno," "Freddy the Banker," and "Artie" in the tournament room watching "Jerry the Clown" practicing straight pool on a Brunswick Gold Crown. "Jerry the Clown" was at least 400 pounds. "Reno" asked if I was looking for a straight pool game and rolled his eyes over to the fat man playing on the Gold Crown. The trio of hustlers assured and reassured that I had the advantage and should win any bet including the stipulation should he die at the table before the game was finished. The bet was made and the bet was lost. All that I remember is I broke the balls and "Jerry the Clown" ran 66 balls on a tough, gaffed up pool table before I made my first ball.

Another few months passed before I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Artie" practicing on the tournament table. I suppose he was licking his chops when he saw me walk in. I knew he was the best player in Chicago and I had no chance in any game yet he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was then that I played my first one-pocket game for money. No, actually my first ten games of one-pocket for money. "Artie" offered me the break and go to 2 while he goes to 9. But the catch was if I win I get $10 but if he wins he gets $100. I was foolishly giving 10 to 1 on the money. I was in a trap with a shark and didn't even know it. Yet, I can't remember if I even knew how to properly break the balls but somehow I won ten games in a row and quit. The last thing I can recall is someone saying as I walked out, "Hey, that young kid just hustled Artie out of a hundred bucks." Ah, I love pool.

Last edited:

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
The first one-pocket game that I can remember playing was in the late 60's for money at Chicago's legendary Bensinger's Pool Room on Broadway and Diversey. I was introduced to Bensinger's by Butch DENNIS who was a gifted left-handed nine ball player who played out of another pool room we both frequented. Butch DENNIS said to me at the time, "If you want to learn the pool game you've got to go around to other rooms and play better players." So off I went.

The first three pool players (I "really, really" mean pool hustlers) I met at Bensinger's were "Reno," "Freddy the Banker" (Freddy BENTIVENGA later known as "Freddy the Beard), and "Artie" (Artie BODENDORFER). "Reno" was an average player who hustled the bars and supposedly sent his siblings to college with his winnings whereas "Freddy" and "Artie" are now legendary in the pool world. "Reno" set me up with an old man who was playing straight pool on a 5 by 10 table. After our $20 straight pool game, I knew I had no chance and quit. Afterward, I told "Reno" that he was much better than me. "Reno" replied, "Kid, I guess I overestimated your game but I can find you something easier." I later found out that old man's name was Al Smith who never won a major straight pool championship but came in second in quite a few of them. Fat chance of winning that bet!

A few months later I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Reno," "Freddy the Banker," and "Artie" in the tournament room watching "Jerry the Clown" practicing straight pool on a Brunswick Gold Crown. "Jerry the Clown" was at least 400 pounds. "Reno" asked if I was looking for a straight pool game and rolled his eyes over to the fat man playing on the Gold Crown. The trio of hustlers assured and reassured that I had the advantage and should win any bet including the stipulation should he die at the table before the game was finished. The bet was made and the bet was lost. All that I remember is I broke the balls and "Jerry the Clown" ran 66 balls on a tough, gaffed up pool table before I made my first ball.

Another few months passed before I returned to Bensinger's only to find "Artie" practicing on the tournament table. I suppose he was licking his chops when he saw me walk in. I knew he was the best player in Chicago and I had no chance in any game yet he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was then that I played my first one-pocket game for money. No, actually my first ten games of one-pocket for money. "Artie" offered me the break and go to 2 while he goes to 9. But the catch was if I win I get $10 but if he wins he gets $100. 10 to 1 on the money. I was in a trap with a shark and didn't even know it. Yet, I can't remember if I even knew how to properly break the balls but somehow I won ten games in a row and quit. The last thing I can recall is someone saying as I walked out, "Hey, that young kid just hustled Artie out of a hundred bucks." Ah, I love pool.
great stories John, i like how your boys kept steering you to that "easy action" haha---reminds me of when i was hanging around with jr gay at derby city one year and i asked him to get me some easy op action...... it probably seemed easy to a great player like him, but the guy shot straighter than orcullo..... of course i lost......:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've told this before I am sure. I was definitely late to the party because up here in NH One Pocket was simply not to be found. But I would hear about the game now and then, and how it was "the chess of pool" and it intrigued me from the beginning because I always liked the moving and strategy part of any game.

Finally when I was about 40, there was a guy from NJ who moved up here, and as I remember it I had a slight edge on him at 9-ball and straight pool, so one day he asked me to play One Pocket instead, I said I would give it a try. About three weeks and a few hundred dollars and a whole lot of lucky shots by him later, that was my introduction to the game. Then, just as I was starting to have a half a chance to win a game now and then, he moved away. But I was hooked. I wish I could remember his name. BTW we were playing on big pocket tables -- probably about 5" and he was therefor playing pretty aggressively which was paying off for him.

After that I began to drive to rooms that were a little farther away that I heard had One Pocket players.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I wish I could recall the first time I played a game of one pocket but for the life of me I can't remember when it was or who it was with. It would have been approximately 25 years ago (I was maybe around 20 at the time). It would have been at Beechmont Billiards on the east side of Cincinnati but it could have been a number of people. I was very fortunate to have some real good mentors and people to play with along the way that shared a lot of knowledge with me. I played them all to try to get cheap lessons and improve my game. I played a lot with the Carrelli brothers, Gary Spaeth, Steve Cook and as other top players would come through, I would always try to get cheap action with them for the same reasons. It was evident, when I was playing someone that was about the same speed as me in 9-ball, that I was the better one hole player because they did not have the advantage of all the hours I had played with these real good players.

Although I took a long break from ever even hitting a pool ball at all (like almost 15 years off :eek:), the desire will never go away. Now that I am back playing a little bit (3 times per month), I hope to never go too long without playing again. I have the bug like the rest of us do! :)

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
nothing interesting

nothing interesting

first time i tried was last yr at home , loved it and hooked since

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
In the late 80's. I was a 14.1 player with a job hanging around RACK EM UP FAMILY BILLIARDS (Palos Park, Illinois) on my weekend days off. A local guy (also with a job) named Eddie Grau asked me to play ONE POCKET. "Sure" I said. Even though I never played (or heard of) ONE POCKET, just tell me the rules and I will figure the rest out. We (I) decided that we would play "winner breaks" (like 8 or 9 ball). I lost the flip, he breaks (makes a ball on the break) and RUNS OUT his needed 7 additional balls. GAME#2....he breaks (makes a ball on the break) and RUNS OUT his needed 7 additional balls. "I QUIT", lost a total of $20, never shot a ball. I should have gone out and got a 2nd job on the weekends. The universe was trying to tell me something....I was TOO DUMB to listen.

unoperro

Verified Member
I only remember my opponent ( a old guy:p surprise surprise) scratched and I shot a ball near the kitchen. I drew my rock 3 rails to get under the stack. Another "old guy" told my opponent "you got a 9ball player here".;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I wish I could recall the first time I played a game of one pocket but for the life of me I can't remember when it was or who it was with. It would have been approximately 25 years ago (I was maybe around 20 at the time). It would have been at Beechmont Billiards on the east side of Cincinnati but it could have been a number of people. ...
CK, you'll like this: My first 1P experience was in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started attending the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music up on Mt. Auburn in 1962. It was that year or the next that I was scouting for a pool room (before I found Mergards), so I went into a small 4-6 table room downtown on Vine St. near the library.

I thought I was a hot shot from Pittsburgh, and wanted to play an older guy some 9 ball for 50 cents a game. He said, "I'll tell you what. Let's play with all 15, and all you need to do is get 8 in your hole before I get 8 in mine." I couldn't imagine an easier game. After I lost $3.00 at 50 cents per game in a row, I quit, and left totally frustrated. I didn't try one-pocket again until 1969 in Los Angeles...:(

~Doc

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Hmmmmm !

Hmmmmm !

I do not really remember my first time, but I remember the pool room.

My wife, Paula, and me got married in 1972. I was an UPS driver at the time.
We rented a nice 2-bedroom, fully furnished apartment, all bills paid, for $130 a month. The apartment complex was in Ft. Worth. We were both from Weatherford, where we live now.

Anyways, between our apartment and work, was an old time poolroom named Gold Nugget on 7th St. Bar up front, with 2 bar tables, and pool room in back. One snooker table, 5 or 6 8' ftrs, and 3 9 ft gold crowns.

I learned playing the old men(LOL), 40-65 yrs old. At the time in Ft Worth, 1pkt was considered on old man's game. Little did I realize, at that period of time, San Antonio was a hotbed of young 1-pkt talent.

I was already a pretty good shotmaker, so I don't really have any bad beat or huge win stories form that time. I just know that I really liked the game, and picked up a lot of knowledge from the older players.

I will tell one story. After I had been playing 1-1 1/2 yrs, a used car dealer came in and asked for 9-7 for $100 a game. Said OK, won first game. Opponent said play another for $200. Said OK, won 2nd game.

I want to tell you, this man played OK, I wasn't stealing.

After 2nd game, opponent said, play for $400. I said OK and won that game. Well, I am $700 up after 3 games. Opponent says, PLay a game for $1000. Said OK, won that game and he finally quit. $1700 winner in 4 games.

Next time any of you see me, ask me about the last game. Opponent had ball by his pocket, I had ball by my pocket up on side rail. Both need 2 balls. My opponent tried a hard cut from up in Texas to his hole and missed. So, I shot my ball in and banked cross corner for win.
THE EXACT same thing he should have done. Instead of being 1700 winner, I feel like I should have lost $300. Oh well.:D:)

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Played for $

Played for $

While self-employed in the early 80"s I was given a table in trade and started my first "come back". Hadn't played seriously since 1968. Eventually got to a high run of 35 @14.1 (vs. 100+ in the 60's) then learned everyone had changed to 9 ball & played Texas Express rules. Didn't much like it but got ok at it, able to string a few racks occasionally. Saw Grady playing one pocket in a side tournament at the Texas 9 Ball Championship in Austin and discovered one pocket. Started practicing what I could learn from Grady's column in The Snap.

About that time I decided I was tired of everyone who worked for me making more than I did and found a real job. S-o-o, not wanting to give up what little I'd fought so hard to get back, I started getting up at 4:00am and going to a 24/7 pool room in Austin (generally called "Moyer's", after the owners) to practice before work. One morning a young full time player left over from the night before started pushing me to play him some 9 ball. Eventually I told him "Chris, I can't beat you at 9 ball and won't try. But I'll try you at one pocket, a race to three for fifty." He said "What's One pocket?" I said put it on the light and I'll show you.

I bought lunch for the office that day. One of these days I may be able to buy lunch again but it's not likely. My third come back is going pretty slow and fish like that are harder to find.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
I do not really remember my first time, but I remember the pool room.

My wife, Paula, and me got married in 1972. I was an UPS driver at the time.
We rented a nice 2-bedroom, fully furnished apartment, all bills paid, for $130 a month. The apartment complex was in Ft. Worth. We were both from Weatherford, where we live now.

Anyways, between our apartment and work, was an old time poolroom named Gold Nugget on 7th St. Bar up front, with 2 bar tables, and pool room in back. One snooker table, 5 or 6 8' ftrs, and 3 9 ft gold crowns.

I learned playing the old men(LOL), 40-65 yrs old. At the time in Ft Worth, 1pkt was considered on old man's game. Little did I realize, at that period of time, San Antonio was a hotbed of young 1-pkt talent.

I was already a pretty good shotmaker, so I don't really have any bad beat or huge win stories form that time. I just know that I really liked the game, and picked up a lot of knowledge from the older players.

I will tell one story. After I had been playing 1-1 1/2 yrs, a used car dealer came in and asked for 9-7 for $100 a game. Said OK, won first game. Opponent said play another for $200. Said OK, won 2nd game.

I want to tell you, this man played OK, I wasn't stealing.

After 2nd game, opponent said, play for $400. I said OK and won that game. Well, I am $700 up after 3 games. Opponent says, PLay a game for $1000. Said OK, won that game and he finally quit. $1700 winner in 4 games.

Next time any of you see me, ask me about the last game. Opponent had ball by his pocket, I had ball by my pocket up on side rail. Both need 2 balls. My opponent tried a hard cut from up in Texas to his hole and missed. So, I shot my ball in and banked cross corner for win.
THE EXACT same thing he should have done. Instead of being 1700 winner, I feel like I should have lost $300. Oh well.:D:)
say, you wouldnt happen to have that guy's phone number , would you?:D:D:D

Mike

Verified Member
And you are the first 1P diehard I met as I played next to you one day at Tacony.

I played Tacony alot since the late 80's and it's where l started to play 1-P on a regular basis. Everyone where l played was into nineball very little 1-P even though l was right across the river from Phil. Really sorry l didn't get into the game earlier.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I first played one-pocket with a little guy named Earl Rapier at Greenway Billiards in Baton Rouge - Earl is long dead now. I remember him as a guy who was convinced that his luck was the worst in the world. He offered to bet that he could call a coin flip wrong sixty times out of a hundred. Of course he failed to post up.

I was in that room in 87, watched Buster Merchant play 10 ahead 9ball till the sun came up, I left at 9 or 10 am when it was still going on. Was a great night in the pool room. I watched a guy there throw a quarter to the spot and 9/10 times it landed like it was a magnet-I mean from 18' away it would stick to the cloth and not bounce, roll, nothing. I was young and he showed me the trick to it-I still can't do it.

Great memories go that night

Never knew who won Buster or the other guy

I played 1P first time at Great American (Hardtimes) in Sac in 85. Tho I never played it seriously until much later (big mistake) has been and always my favorite game to sweat, Monk 1 handed was pretty cool to watch back then.