Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 2 review

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Wasn't Dennis asking to check how level the table was?
    I heard them say that he wanted it checked
    3 cushion has killed carom

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
      We saw good Tony for most of the match, then we saw bad, impatient, reckless Tony show up for the last two hours. Dennis clawed back to actually win the day and get the lead down to six. The format is not conducive for a comeback, but Dennis got enough momentum in day 2 to promise a match tomorrow.

      Dennis started playing better and capitalizing on Tony's crazy shot selection. We'll see if Tony settles back down or continues to give away games. There is little doubt that the S.S. T-Rex was taking on water at the end of the day today. He'll be fresh and ready tomorrow, though, so Dennis needs to play his best early to fade the barrage that Tony will no doubt start with.

      At the end of day two, the score is Tony Chohan 20, Dennis Orcollo 14.
      Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
      Tony got a little mentally tired yesterday. He tried to end games more quickly than normal and lost a few he shouldn't have. Watching the match it's clear he's the better player defensively at least. He takes balls out of Dennis' pocket better and gets the first shot more often than not. If there's an opportunity for Dennis it has to be today as he has to make up ground if he is going to be in it on day four. He can't be behind by no more than four games to have a chance on the last day.
      the first day of this format is so very critical. i think that its to be expected that there will be several swings in a race to 40, but i can't help but to think that tony might have squandered a golden opportunity yesterday. he had a legitimate opportunity to make the math insurmountable but inexplicably seemed to mentally check out/fade at a critical moment (about the time he hit 18 games). he could realistically be up 8 games now but is not -- against the most dangerous player in the world - you just can't give him games. like tall jeff says, you gotta beat em til they're graveyard dead. pulling for tony, but i'm nervous.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
        From here, the only way Tony loses is by a frank collapse. If Dennis were to come back to win from this point, it would send everyone running to their diaries with fresh #2 pencils in hand, anxious to record one of the greatest moments in the history of cue sports...

        ~Doc
        Dennis needs to win 26-19 or better from here. That's much less demanding than his winning ratio over top players in the last 6 mos. I like Tony to win from here, but I think Dennis winning from here would not be shocking.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by OneRock View Post
          Did Dennis not play the tournament last week?
          The tournament was played on Gold Crowns. This Diamond was brought in the weekend before just for this match and Tony and Shane played on it in their two gambling matches all weekend.

          Comment


          • #20
            Tony is playing far more aggressive than Scott did. He almost always looks for creative moves to both defend and attack at the same time. When it fails, he loses the game outright as Dennis can easily get out every time. But when it works, and it does often, he ends up winning that game by keeping extreme pressure on Dennis until he cracks and sells something out. It's very exciting stuff.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
              Dennis needs to win 26-19 or better from here. That's much less demanding than his winning ratio over top players in the last 6 mos. I like Tony to win from here, but I think Dennis winning from here would not be shocking.
              exactly. i still like tony from here but just not as much as i'd like to....lol....

              (dennis hasn't played well yet - even when he strung three-four games together, he was rattling balls in and a consistently a few inches off on his angles - at some point, you gotta think he's gonna catch a gear.....)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                The tournament was played on Gold Crowns. This Diamond was brought in the weekend before just for this match and Tony and Shane played on it in their two gambling matches all weekend.
                They replaced the Diamond that was there with another table?
                Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm in agreement with those who felt that Tony was mentally tired the last two hours of play, also I believe that the slow play that Dennis is exhibiting has bothered Tony. Tony has shown us that his style of play can beat anyone when he's playing his game, his ability and know how to move multiple balls has proven to be very effective and he must play the game that got him to where he is. Jerry hit the nail on the head when he said that Tony tried to win games too quickly the last several hours of the match and was lucky to end the day leading by six games-20 to 14.

                  Tony is a very confident player and his play reflects that, he shoots shots that only a hand full of players would attempt and hits them like a confident player would and some may mistake that as ..he's not playing the score. Players of Tony's caliber (upper echelon) plays more ball position then the score. (where the balls are positioned) There are times when the ball position is fairly easy to read the forecast, and in spite of certain leads playing a more aggressive shot would be the correct shot for upper echelon players playing his equal.

                  However, I do agree the last several hours of the match Tony didn't play the score and wanted to win fast by choosing the wrong shot and he paid for it. I expect Tony to play the same way he's been playing and the six game lead he has should put him into day four leading by the score of 30-26 or 30-27. The final day will be priceless for those who enjoy one pocket played the way champions play it, and i'm one of them.


                  Dr. Bill

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                    The tournament was played on Gold Crowns. This Diamond was brought in the weekend before just for this match and Tony and Shane played on it in their two gambling matches all weekend.
                    Unless there were more races
                    the race to 10, the first match, was on the GC (was streamed)
                    the second race to 8 was on the Diamond (was streamed from 6-6)
                    Tony won both
                    "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
                    I'm playing like it's next year"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                      I'm in agreement with those who felt that Tony was mentally tired the last two hours of play, also I believe that the slow play that Dennis is exhibiting has bothered Tony. Tony has shown us that his style of play can beat anyone when he's playing his game, his ability and know how to move multiple balls has proven to be very effective and he must play the game that got him to where he is. Jerry hit the nail on the head when he said that Tony tried to win games too quickly the last several hours of the match and was lucky to end the day leading by six games-20 to 14.

                      Tony is a very confident player and his play reflects that, he shoots shots that only a hand full of players would attempt and hits them like a confident player would and some may mistake that as ..he's not playing the score. Players of Tony's caliber (upper echelon) plays more ball position then the score. (where the balls are positioned) There are times when the ball position is fairly easy to read the forecast, and in spite of certain leads playing a more aggressive shot would be the correct shot for upper echelon players playing his equal.

                      However, I do agree the last several hours of the match Tony didn't play the score and wanted to win fast by choosing the wrong shot and he paid for it. I expect Tony to play the same way he's been playing and the six game lead he has should put him into day four leading by the score of 30-26 or 30-27. The final day will be priceless for those who enjoy one pocket played the way champions play it, and i'm one of them.


                      Dr. Bill
                      Nice post Dr. Bill ~

                      the bolded part above is something I have never really thought of but I agree with...good point!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X