Day 2 review

BRLongArm

Verified Member
We saw good Tony for most of the match, then we saw bad, impatient, reckless Tony show up for the last two hours. Dennis clawed back to actually win the day and get the lead down to six. The format is not conducive for a comeback, but Dennis got enough momentum in day 2 to promise a match tomorrow.

Dennis started playing better and capitalizing on Tony's crazy shot selection. We'll see if Tony settles back down or continues to give away games. There is little doubt that the S.S. T-Rex was taking on water at the end of the day today. He'll be fresh and ready tomorrow, though, so Dennis needs to play his best early to fade the barrage that Tony will no doubt start with.

At the end of day two, the score is Tony Chohan 20, Dennis Orcollo 14.

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
Tony weighs about twice as much, but orcollo thinks about ten times as hard. I'm not sure if those things come close to equaling out, but yeah the endurance seems to go to orcollo.

unoperro

Verified Member
Not sure about statistics,but I would rather be down 7 with my opponent needing 30,then down 6 with my opponent needing 20:sorry

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
We saw good Tony for most of the match, then we saw bad, impatient, reckless Tony show up for the last two hours. Dennis clawed back to actually win the day and get the lead down to six. The format is not conducive for a comeback, but Dennis got enough momentum in day 2 to promise a match tomorrow.

Dennis started playing better and capitalizing on Tony's crazy shot selection. We'll see if Tony settles back down or continues to give away games. There is little doubt that the S.S. T-Rex was taking on water at the end of the day today. He'll be fresh and ready tomorrow, though, so Dennis needs to play his best early to fade the barrage that Tony will no doubt start with.

And that, along with not playing the score, is exactly why Tony lost that 15K match to Bustamante a year ago...I thought that maybe, just maybe, for this much $$$, Tony would make himself use a little more discipline re. the ill advised circus shots - but I guess not.

- Ghost

beatle

Verified Member
you change your play according to the score in the game. but not according to the score in the set. that would be a mistake.

El Chapo

Verified Member
The reason tony has Dennis so off balance though is those "ill advised" shots.

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Hope Tony pulls it back some
He got sloppier and less lucky on day 2

Dennis did a little better but still not what people are used to seeing Dennis play like

I'm enjoying it, loved the smooth double bank Dennis made, also the updown the table double bank that Tony made day 1 dennis made as well

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
From here, the only way Tony loses is by a frank collapse. If Dennis were to come back to win from this point, it would send everyone running to their diaries with fresh #2 pencils in hand, anxious to record one of the greatest moments in the history of cue sports...:)

~Doc

#Cruncher

Verified Member
The coffin was shutting at 19-10 but then Tony said, let's keep this match alive! If Dennis can win 13 or 14 to 10 today, which he is very capable of, it will be a hell of a final day tomorrow!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
From here, the only way Tony loses is by a frank collapse. If Dennis were to come back to win from this point, it would send everyone running to their diaries with fresh #2 pencils in hand, anxious to record one of the greatest moments in the history of cue sports...:)

~Doc

I disagree, Doc, but it demands a quick start. If Dennis starts out hot and wins the first 7 of 10 or 8 out of 12, we have a match. We all saw Tony fade the later the day got yesterday. If Dennis can get out to a fast start, he can make it another long day. Remember that Dennis was beating his opponents an average of 5-1 in these stacked tournaments so we know he has the gear to shut his opponent down. When Tony's circus shots don't
fall, he sells out the game. We saw a little of that yesterday. Will Tony play smarter, or will he succumb to his aggression?

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I disagree, Doc, but it demands a quick start. If Dennis starts out hot and wins the first 7 of 10 or 8 out of 12, we have a match. We all saw Tony fade the later the day got yesterday. If Dennis can get out to a fast start, he can make it another long day. Remember that Dennis was beating his opponents and average of 5-1 in these stacked tournaments so we know he has the gear to shut his opponent down. When Tony's circus shots don't
fall, he sells out the game. We saw a little of that yesterday. Will Tony play smarter, or will he succumb to his aggression?

i think that is the question to be answered
also playing dennis would drive me crazy unless we had a shot clock

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Anyone here know how the table conditions differ from the Frost/DO match?

4 1/8 vs. 4 1/4. Tony played two long sessions against SVB just before the match started so he had about 16 hours of play on it vs. 1.5 hours for Dennis.

baby huey

Verified Member
Tony got a little mentally tired yesterday. He tried to end games more quickly than normal and lost a few he shouldn't have. Watching the match it's clear he's the better player defensively at least. He takes balls out of Dennis' pocket better and gets the first shot more often than not. If there's an opportunity for Dennis it has to be today as he has to make up ground if he is going to be in it on day four. He can't be behind by no more than four games to have a chance on the last day.

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Wasn't Dennis asking to check how level the table was?
I heard them say that he wanted it checked

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

Tony got a little mentally tired yesterday. He tried to end games more quickly than normal and lost a few he shouldn't have. Watching the match it's clear he's the better player defensively at least. He takes balls out of Dennis' pocket better and gets the first shot more often than not. If there's an opportunity for Dennis it has to be today as he has to make up ground if he is going to be in it on day four. He can't be behind by no more than four games to have a chance on the last day.

the first day of this format is so very critical. i think that its to be expected that there will be several swings in a race to 40, but i can't help but to think that tony might have squandered a golden opportunity yesterday. he had a legitimate opportunity to make the math insurmountable but inexplicably seemed to mentally check out/fade at a critical moment (about the time he hit 18 games). he could realistically be up 8 games now but is not -- against the most dangerous player in the world - you just can't give him games. like tall jeff says, you gotta beat em til they're graveyard dead. pulling for tony, but i'm nervous.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

~Doc

Dennis needs to win 26-19 or better from here. That's much less demanding than his winning ratio over top players in the last 6 mos. I like Tony to win from here, but I think Dennis winning from here would not be shocking.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Did Dennis not play the tournament last week?

The tournament was played on Gold Crowns. This Diamond was brought in the weekend before just for this match and Tony and Shane played on it in their two gambling matches all weekend.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Tony is playing far more aggressive than Scott did. He almost always looks for creative moves to both defend and attack at the same time. When it fails, he loses the game outright as Dennis can easily get out every time. But when it works, and it does often, he ends up winning that game by keeping extreme pressure on Dennis until he cracks and sells something out. It's very exciting stuff.