Day 3 Review

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Thanks for the update.

Tony banked a ball and left it in his hole. He had a ball for a long rail bank. Dennis conceded the ball, but did not move the cue ball to make the bank tough. Tony long railed the ball and ran six. He ended up winning when Dennis flubbed a take out. Tony absolutely stole the game with Dennis leading 6-0.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Perhaps its my age.

Perhaps its my age.

I think Dennis had a opportunity to conclude the session in a strong manner.
He had the final game leading 6 to 0 when Tony showed what he is made of and made a strong bank and got to the hill first. With 2 balls left and Dennis needing both of them went for a 2 rail bank which he could not win with but only lose.
I say that because the other ball was generally out of play. He missed and left Tony with an easy cross corner and sold out the game.

I dont mean to second guess a pro especially one like Dennis. If he felt comfortable with the shot and liked it then I see the reason to shoot it. But I really would have liked to see him grind it out for those last two balls since that is the strategy that was successful for him last nite.
Make Tony make the mistake.

Having Tony come back from a minus 6 deficit only pumps him up for the following day and gives him momentum.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Having Tony come back from a minus 6 deficit only pumps him up for the following day and gives him momentum.

I know that when I am down or getting even I get pumped up too. Thats when I go off for another $1000.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Here's my two cents on last night's session...

opponent as 'circus shots.' With that in mind, I fully admit there have been a few questionable shots that Tony took,

When I think of the Circus, I think of unimaginable feats of ability, great showmanship, and a high degree of performance. A Circus shot is a compliment in one pocket because you dont see it everyday. Dennis fired a couple himself yesterday. Tony does it as a routine.:D

El Chapo

Verified Member
I feel like it doesn't get discussed much, but one of the things I don't like about the flyer shots is, it's sort of assumed "if I make it I'll win the game, and if I miss it I'll lose". The number of times guys make flyers and don't get a shot after is insanely high. I think it's a high percentage because it is supposed to be high... you don't just scramble the balls and then "deserve" a shot if you make it, in fact I'd say the odds are well against you to not get a shot the more the balls are moving around. This all works the other way too though, where if you miss the other guy may have nothing.

I also get amazed at how bad the best players in the world can play. If you watch the match close, half the time they have an open table they are missing very pocketable balls... the ones they normally shoot in every single time.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Also, I personally thought the key game, perhaps in this entire set, was when tony had 7 and he was shooting a ball and got a skid. I'm not one that necessarily thinks all the blame goes to the skid though. He hit that ball tentatively. Dennis made one of the best run outs of the set so far after that too. That was the swing game as far as I'm concerned. It could be 30 to 25 or 26 if tony would have just made that ball (I'm actually not sure what the score was for that game).

BRLongArm

Verified Member
He had the final game leading 6 to 0 when Tony showed what he is made of and made a strong bank and got to the hill first. With 2 balls left and Dennis needing both of them went for a 2 rail bank which he could not win with but only lose.
I say that because the other ball was generally out of play. He missed and left Tony with an easy cross corner and sold out the game.

I dont mean to second guess a pro especially one like Dennis. If he felt comfortable with the shot and liked it then I see the reason to shoot it. But I really would have liked to see him grind it out for those last two balls since that is the strategy that was successful for him last nite.
Make Tony make the mistake.

The last ball actually would go three rails and he was laying perfect for it had the two railer found a home. His speed was a little off, that's all.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Also, I personally thought the key game, perhaps in this entire set, was when tony had 7 and he was shooting a ball and got a skid. I'm not one that necessarily thinks all the blame goes to the skid though. He hit that ball tentatively. Dennis made one of the best run outs of the set so far after that too. That was the swing game as far as I'm concerned. It could be 30 to 25 or 26 if tony would have just made that ball (I'm actually not sure what the score was for that game).

That was big, wasn't it, Chapo.. What a joy to watch him.. Advanced one pocket.. D takes so long, it gets me. I have to cut commentary and watch other things in between T-Rex shooting.. It got to where that's all I wanted to see.. Just every shot by Tony and nothing else... Appreciate the stream, very much..

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The last ball actually would go three rails and he was laying perfect for it had the two railer found a home. His speed was a little off, that's all.

The two railer is a bad shot for just about anyone, however, I can understand that an upper echelon player shooting it when their comfortable with the hit but as you see it's still a risky shot.

DR. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I am recalling game 49, I think it was, Dennis overcame a big deficit with a run of seven balls, and seemed to be in position to slip away with the win. Then he got a shot at two frozen balls on the foot spot, ball in hand. I believe conventional wisdom, if you decide to shoot it, is to place the cue ball about four inches from the center of the head string, and try to draw the cue ball back into the pocket. That's exactly what he did - all the way into the pocket, and he lost the game in a helter-skelter finish. Fatal unforced error, two game swing.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In big money tough action, the players get between 30-40% of the money after expenses, depending on the agreement. Paying anything more is a failing gambling model. The days of 50-50 are over when big money is involved. A player can expect 30% on huge action and 40% on smaller bets, depending on previous action.

Some stake horses have their players on "make up", which means that they play for even a more reduced piece until past losses are recovered. In the end, it depends on the relationship between backer and player. The longer the relationship, the better the deal for the player.
That's what I was looking for. Cheers, Joe. Then it turns out I had it figured about right.

~Doc