lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
maybe this should be in the members section
because it is not strictly onepocket....:sorry
but i thought this was interesting
pepi on on his poolhead page made the distinction that in the phillipines
"pool" is a completely different game from "billiards" (what we call pool)
and povided a link to
"pool in the philopines"
check put his link and some of the respoces and why they seem to excel at spheres round or flat
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=457148

El Chapo

Verified Member
When I used to watch more baseball, per capital it was crazy (maybe still is?) how many great players the Dominican Republic could pump out. That's actually a very interesting example, because despite the fact that they had such a small country, they produced relatively large amounts of talent. The important difference being, baseball players in the USA actually can be, and want to be, professional baseball players because you can make a very good living at it. So, it's actually a very legit statistic in my opinion.

If players could make six figures for winning a pool tournament, I still think the Philippines would be at the top of the pile per capita. I just believe the top 50 players in the world would be much more spread out though. There would be way more Americans than are currently active in that top 50. I'll go further than that though... and maybe this is elitism, and I'd be fine to be called out on it, but I believe if pool tournaments were played for crazy amounts, like millions of dollars, I believe Americans would be the dominant force for a number of reasons... mostly having to do with the numbers when you look at other sports. You can golf anywhere in the world for example, but look at the numbers of who wins by country.

So, I think the reason they play so good is their motivation is better, but I also think they are more in tune with pool as an entire country. The entire country just loves pool. I bet if you got the data, more people get serious about pool in the pi than in the USA. I'm not holding it against the pi or anything, but I think that's why. I don't even know if that was the question at hand, but whatever.

Last edited:

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
is it true that rotation is the game of choice there? because if it is, just think if you played nothing but full rack rotation for years..... if you had some talent, you would get amazingly good--9 ball would seem like pure boredom after running 15 balls in order all the time--additionally, you would become phenomenal at kicking balls, and combination shots......

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I used to wonder why the Italians were so good in the 40's to 60's. Mosconi, Onofrio Lauri, Ponzi, Procita, Butera, and then to Liscotti, Incardona, Diliberto, etc.
I just admired them.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
They play so well because they are so hungry. The relatively rough conditions in which they live and play are conducive to breeding fighters. Couple that with the fact that pool is a national sport whose champions are celebrated as heroes.

Wouldn't it be nice to see this happen here?

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
They play so well because they are so hungry. The relatively rough conditions in which they live and play are conducive to breeding fighters. Couple that with the fact that pool is a national sport whose champions are celebrated as heroes.

Wouldn't it be nice to see this happen here?

Bingo. Boxing is a good co-example of the "hunger" effect. In the U.S., it was dominated by the Irish through the 1800's to early 1900's, then by blacks & Hispanics, then by Russians & Eastern Europeans, now a broad range of ethnicities. Recent immigrants to the U.S. always seem to do well. Ever notice how many fighters are virtually unbeatable until they get rich?

cuesmith

Verified Member
Hey buddy, good to see you, let's play some one hole soon! :)

Sounds good Chris! Give me a shout around noonish. I've been wanting to talk to you anyway about that website you've been wanting to build me. I don't want anything too elaborate since I'm semi-retired. I just want some place to post pictures of cues I have available and ready to go.

Sherm