No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Arturo 19 wwyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Bill, This could be argued back and forth, up and down and sideways, for awhile but like I said in my last post I can see value in both shots. What you say about the potential bank on the five from its current position is debatable. The same can be said for any loose ball on the table given the cue ball be in position. I could easily say the five is in ideal position to break open the stack should I get a decent angle on it. That's not to say the five can't be relocated to a better position. I'm only saying that for the moment it's fine where it is. Sorry to disagree with you about the five that it would be better located lower to the stack, but I do. The five as it lays now is ideally located to send the cue ball to my opponent's side of the stack which will yield far better results should I have any angle which cuts the ball to the left. Had it been lower my cue ball ends up on the wrong side of the table and balls sent toward my opponent's pocket. In other words, I can't shoot it!

Aside from that what you say about the one ball shot may be true, then again it is hard to tell without being at the table. Still, I like the potential immediate threat this shot presents should the cue ball react as I suspect it will.

I don't doubt one of these two shots will have been chosen. Like in most instances it comes down to the quality of the execution that tells the tale.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Wirth; 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM.

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Ghost vs. Arturo 19 wwyd

Originally posted by ChicagoFats View Post
      I thought about this shot immediately, but seems to me ... when I am in a game situation I always hit the ball too full and end up leaving the 2 ball in front of my opponents pocket.

I think I would me more inclined to hit the topside of the ONE and throw it upstairs and cross the TWO back to my side. Easier to execute and I can stuff the cue ball to the back of the stack.. This will definitely clear opponents pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Regards,

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos

Comment

I like the 5 into the 3 with speed and stunning the cb forward towards the rail. Not mentioned yet but the 3 ball has a very good chance of going 2 rails and laying by my hole.

Comment

Dr. Bill, you know my style very well. In my old age I've lost some of my aggressive tendencies and early on when I'm not in a trap, I tend to tickle the rack a little more and see what develops. My shot off the seven ball will most likely leave a straight back on the nine ball but if I get the cueball close to the one ball he'll have to come up with something that pushes balls away from his side. Tom likes the carom with the 5/3 and it's a good shot. I just prefer to wait a little longer. Just remember like in poker, "It's not about the chips you win, it's about the chips you don't lose".

Comment

One thing I immediately noticed about the 5-3 is the possibility of the 3 coming off the left side of the 9 to double kiss the CB. For that alone, I opt to go for the 2-rail kick on the 1. My mind is programmed to eliminate the direct threat posed by the 1.

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
              One thing I immediately noticed about the 5-3 is the possibility of the 3 coming off the left side of the 9 to double kiss the CB. For that alone, I opt to go for the 2-rail kick on the 1. My mind is programmed to eliminate the direct threat posed by the 1.
              Pete, if the 5ball is struck anywhere close to being executed well you're cutting the 3ball to the right and the 3ball will either hitt the top of the 9ball or possibly miss it entirely. That's the beauty of the shot, it's laying so a 'll balls go away without incident. Now if you butcher the shot then you deserve to end up in trouble the same if you butchered any other shot.

DR. Bill

Comment

i see both as viable shots. personally since i always play with the best of it selling out is back on my take a chance list.

i go for the two rail on the one as i find that type of shot very easy to make or put in front of my hole and hide the cueball. that keeps my 5 ball in play and him hurting for a shot that wont cost him balls.

against top players many of our shots we choose can be very wrong. as they can get out of most traps by shooting.

Comment

I do like it, and those were the only two viable options that I saw immediately. I still prefer the 2-railer on the 1 for me personally, though I could easily change my mind once I'm at the table. I do agree that the 5-3 is lying perfectly. The shooter must possess very good CB control to stun the CB forward and have it come to rest by the side rail. I've practiced this quite a bit in the past by hitting the CB just above center with a stop-shot attitude.

I'm not surprised I picked the same option as Tom Wirth, having sparred with him for all these years.

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                  Pete, if the 5ball is struck anywhere close to being executed well you're cutting the 3ball to the right and the 3ball will either hitt the top of the 9ball or possibly miss it entirely. That's the beauty of the shot, it's laying so a 'll balls go away without incident. Now if you butcher the shot then you deserve to end up in trouble the same if you butchered any other shot.

DR. Bill

Comment

Well, as I've said before, although Arturo shoots very straight (how could he not, since after all, he's Filipino ) and will drill a ball in when necessary, he doesn't like to take chances and leans towards playing a conservative game ...that said, he shot the conservative shot that Jerry and a coupla other guys chose - thinning a ball and going under the 1...Arturo executed it well - here's how it turned out >>>
                    Attached Files
                    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                      Well, as I've said before, although Arturo shoots very straight (how could he not, since after all, he's Filipino ) and will drill a ball in when necessary, he doesn't like to take chances and leans towards playing a conservative game ...that said, he shot the conservative shot that Jerry and a coupla other guys chose - thinning a ball and going under the 1...Arturo executed it well - here's how it turned out >>>
                      GREAT EXECUTION ARTURO...
                      what would you have shot if it was your shot not arturo's?? << question to ghost
                      and
                      ghost what did you from there??
                      Last edited by lll; 08-02-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Well, Arturo hit it perfectly. That was Nick's suggestion. In post #8, I favored thinning off the 7 rather than the 8 because kissing off the 8 puts that ball into play, which it did here. On the other hand, Arturo probably liked the CB angle available off the 8, as opposed to the 7.

But now Ghost is going to put him up table near Arturo's head pocket with nothing by Arturo's hole-- if I know that nasty specter...

~Doc

Comment

And that's precisely why it was a relatively weak shot even though it was executed perfectly. In response to Arturo's move, he could do what you just suggested, or maybe he might want to consider, if available, the Scott Frost-style option of banking the 9 three rails and follow the CB up and down the table. Alternatively, he could bank the 9 one rail and move the CB over to Arturo's side above the side pocket.

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                          Well, Arturo hit it perfectly. That was Nick's suggestion. In post #8, I favored thinning off the 7 rather than the 8 because kissing off the 8 puts that ball into play, which it did here. On the other hand, Arturo probably liked the CB angle available off the 8, as opposed to the 7.

But now Ghost is going to put him up table near Arturo's head pocket with nothing by Arturo's hole-- if I know that nasty specter...

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
                            And that's precisely why it was a relatively weak shot even though it was executed perfectly. In response to Arturo's move, he could do what you just suggested, or maybe he might want to consider, if available, the Scott Frost-style option of banking the 9 three rails and follow the CB up and down the table. Alternatively, he could bank the 9 one rail and move the CB over to Arturo's side above the side pocket.
                            Playing it off the 7 would have been better. It would might have opened up balls for the shooter not opponent

Comment

Arturo did hit it very good from there, however I still like the 2 rail kick on the one and bringing the CB into the stack. As it is now, he has no threats on his side and as Doc pointed out, Ghost is either going to 1 rail the 9 or go off the right side of the 9 if he can see it and put Arturo up on the head rail on his side where he has no shot and is in trouble again.

Comment

Also

Leaving the 3 ball bank is not for me. Good one pocket players torture ya when you do.
                                Bill Meacham
                                WBT
                                www.worldbilliardtour.com
                                no link....

Comment

Working...
                                X