No announcement yet.

You vs. opponent 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the 14 can be dug out of there, that's the shot. But if not, I would have to roll the CB into the 14 just hard enough for it to fall into the pocket. The best leave would be CB frozen to the foot rail by his pocket.

It would, however, leave a free and makeable bank on the 11.

Here's my thinking on chosing the 11 or 1: if a guy has a 90% success rate on shots exactly like the 11, shooting off the pocket iron, then that's his shot. If he has only a 40% success rate on that exact shot (like mine is), then he's got to pass. If he does shoot it, I agree with John that he should use medium to firm speed so as not to leave a return cross-corner.

The 1 ball is the same thing, only it must be rolled in to leave hung if missed. If it bounces up the side rail a few inches, the opponent is going to make the 14, bank the 1, get on the 11-- and now it's hill/hill..

Now for funsies, especially while drinking, a guy could 2-rail "Z" the 1, and stun whitey into the 14. Raphael would, wouldn't he???

~Doc

Comment

an example of a vulcan mind meld at exactly the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
        If the 14 can be dug out of there, that's the shot. But if not, I would have to roll the CB into the 14 just hard enough for it to fall into the pocket. The best leave would be CB frozen to the foot rail by his pocket.

It would, however, leave a free and makeable bank on the 11.

Here's my thinking on chosing the 11 or 1: if a guy has a 90% success rate on shots exactly like the 11, shooting off the pocket iron, then that's his shot. If he has only a 40% success rate on that exact shot (like mine is), then he's got to pass. If he does shoot it, I agree with John that he should use medium to firm speed so as not to leave a return cross-corner.

The 1 ball is the same thing, only it must be rolled in to leave hung if missed. If it bounces up the side rail a few inches, the opponent is going to make the 14, bank the 1, get on the 11-- and now it's hill/hill..

Now for funsies, especially while drinking, a guy could 2-rail "Z" the 1, and stun whitey into the 14. Raphael would, wouldn't he???

~Doc
        Why firm/hard? There is a lot of value in hanging it in your pocket. As long as you don't bring the ball up more than 4-6" on the side rail he has no return other than getting rid of the ball. Firm just gives him another ball to possibly get shape on after potting the hanger.
        Regards,

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos

Comment

There is a double kiss shot there that moves the 14 to my side. I don't think it goes in my hole but may be close enough to leave him a straight back. I think I'll just slow roll it in for him and leave him stacked up to the far corner from his hole.
          Renegade

Comment

Someone mentioned the key missing piece of information. How strong is my opponent? If I shoot the 11, can he possibly make three balls from there? If so, I pocket his ball and wait it out. Against a weaker player, I am firing away at the 11.
            (A recovering 9 ball player)

Comment

just the opposite. against a weak player you may not want to shoot as he will not come with a strong return on the 11 ball and you will be a favorite on the balls one on one of perhaps ten to one favorite or more to win the game.

playing a strong player even though he can make more balls you are much less of a favorite to win on the remaining balls after his return move. and as you gave up your chances of winning right there for a later possible win.

Comment

hi guys
                i just got home
                i havent read any replies
                just looked at the layout
                me ahead i make his 14
                now its 7-5
                GAME ON ....
                not knowing how confident an upper level ball striker feels about the shots to his hole
                you upper level players let me know
                do you feel better on the straight in or the cut shot??
                again for me i make his 14 ball
                Last edited by lll; 08-06-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
                  just the opposite. against a weak player you may not want to shoot as he will not come with a strong return on the 11 ball and you will be a favorite on the balls one on one of perhaps ten to one favorite or more to win the game.

playing a strong player even though he can make more balls you are much less of a favorite to win on the remaining balls after his return move. and as you gave up your chances of winning right there for a later possible win.
                  i was posting as you were posting
                  so
                  if you were the weaker player playing a strong player and you are advocating shooting
                  which shot do you recomend for the weaker player??
                  the cut or the straight in??

Comment

I've heard that a shot with the OB halfway to the pocket requires the most precision - and opposite corner shots like this are the most demanding version of that.

But don't be nervous.

pj
                    chgo

Comment

I like leaving the one exactly where it is and rolling the 11 real softly all times against all type players..
                      "Born Into This"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                        I like leaving the one exactly where it is and rolling the 11 real softly all times against all type players..
                        you know jimmy
                        i cant argue with your logic
                        you have a chance to win
                        might as well shoot the one that you feel the best at pocketing

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
                          I've heard that a shot with the OB halfway to the pocket requires the most precision - and opposite corner shots like this are the most demanding version of that.

But don't be nervous.

pj
                          chgo
                          God hates cowards. Like Steph Curry. Step up and swooooosh.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos

Comment

This is a tough call about the ball in the opponents pocket. It appears it can be taken out.....maybe. I have to think needing one ball that I am going to have to give the ball. He'll still need three to win and the balls are set up in my favor. Don't put him back in the game by trying to make a ball here.

Comment

larry against anyone i would shoot the shot that had the best combination of making it and if missed hanging it up. i think the straight in, would be that .

or if shooting harder, then simply the shot that had the best chance of going in combined with leave. that would be the cut shot.

and the weaker the opponent the less chance he will make more balls than just the hanger on the 14.

the more open the balls are, the more you should lean towards shooting the 14.

the decision is not a simple one depending on extraneous factors.

Comment

The reason I am shooting the 11 over the 1 is in the fact that if it goes to an end game then the 1 remains to block the two rail bank on the 10.
                                If your leaning towards making the opponents 14 then it is not whether he is a strong shooter but if they are a strong banker. Whitey
                                Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-07-2017, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X