No announcement yet.

Peter vs. Kris - WWYD 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 14/7 looks to be on. If struck well, there's no risk of hanging the ball in his hole. The combo needs to be hit thin with a low right CB. Looks to me the CB should have no problem moving past the 8 towards the head rail.

This shot looks simple enough to execute, and the thin hit on the 14 should not impart too much speed onto the 7. I like this shot because the 7 will likely move towards my side at pocket speed, more or less.

As many as five different options have been presented in this thread so far.

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
    What I don't like is that the 14-7 has to be hit almost perfectly to work out and it's pretty darned hard to hit an off-angle combo perfectly. Too thick on the 14-7 contact and you could make or hang the 7 for him; too thin and the 7 may not clear his quadrant, and the 14 can leave your quadrant, maybe even hit the 10 and carom to his side.

I think it's a harder shot than most seem to think (but terrific if hit well.) I think I would shoot the 8 straight back. I'll give up some kind of shot on the 10, but it would probably be a risky one. (And I try not to play people who would be odds-on shooting it. )

Comment

Another possibility would be to 2-rail the 8 towards the middle of the bottom rail and leave the CB as close to the head rail as possible.

The best of options are usually the most effortless.

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
      What I don't like is that the 14-7 has to be hit almost perfectly to work out and it's pretty darned hard to hit an off-angle combo perfectly. Too thick on the 14-7 contact and you could make or hang the 7 for him; too thin and the 7 may not clear his quadrant, and the 14 can leave your quadrant, maybe even hit the 10 and carom to his side.

I think it's a harder shot than most seem to think (but terrific if hit well.) I think I would shoot the 8 straight back. I'll give up some kind of shot on the 10, but it would probably be a risky one. (And I try not to play people who would be odds-on shooting it. )

Comment

The kick carom on the 3/15 is laying pretty good. May have to spin into it to get the cb to travel.
        Last edited by Kybanks; 08-21-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
          That's the "Dixie Whistler"? Never heard the term before.
          Well, technically, a "Dixie whistler" can be any straightback that is hit with speed. It needn't be the "Grady" bank. At least that's the meaning here in lil' ol' Western Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
            First thought is to combo bank the 7 back towards my hole and drag the cue to the top right corner. 14 stays in my area and 7 ends up close and hopefully covered by the 10 or 14.
            That's what I saw too Mitch...good shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
              Don't make me out your stroke again 😂
              whatever, but a couple jars of that pickled stuff (peppers) would work. Thanks for idea Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by poolisboring View Post
                i would 3 rail the yellow ball with follow on cb......
                This worked like a charm for me with a little top right.
                The nine went in my hole and the cue ball settled mid-way on the upper right rail. Good one!
                Last edited by oldschool1478; 08-21-2017, 07:31 PM.
                Dan

Comment

Here's my solution to this situation, starting with the two shots that led me to it.

Of course, I did go for the shot that Mitch and Dr. Bill favored, but I probably would have gotten better results with a bit more speed. Yes, it did require a thin hit, but it came down to simply aiming the 14 at the center diamond of the bottom rail. I applied low right English to get the desired action out of the CB.

As you can see, the 7 ran out of juice a bit too early, leaving my opponent an easy return shot. But that wasn't all that bad because it opened the door to the final wwyd (Peter vs. Kris - WWYD 6) that I'll be posting next.

https://youtu.be/acQnGYOVU1I

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
                    Here's my solution to this situation, starting with the two shots that led me to it.

Of course, I did go for the shot that Mitch and Dr. Bill favored, but I probably would have gotten better results with a bit more speed. Yes, it did require a thin hit, but it came down to simply aiming the 14 at the center diamond of the bottom rail. I applied low right English to get the desired action out of the CB.

As you can see, the 7 ran out of juice a bit too early, leaving my opponent an easy return shot. But that wasn't all that bad because it opened the door to the final wwyd (Peter vs. Kris - WWYD 6) that I'll be posting next.

https://youtu.be/acQnGYOVU1I
                    I really like how you show us your solution in a quick video. Thanks.

Comment

I'm trying to audition for an upcoming pool movie, but they keep telling me I'm too skinny.

Originally posted by 12squared View Post
                      I really like how you show us your solution in a quick video. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X