A Missed Opportunity to Gain the Upper Hand

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Some random match popped up on youtube earlier today, so I decided to watch a little while sipping my morning coffee. The shooter's pocket is the lower left, and he's behind in the ball count. His opponent managed to hang a ball in his hole on his last inning.

WWYD if you were the shooter? Would you give your opponent that hanging ball and live to fight another day? Would you shoot the stripe and try to get on the other side of the pack? Another move that came to mind, albeit ill-advised, was to two-rail that nearby solid and send the CB towards the opponent's hanging ball. Since this isn't a do-or-die situation, there's got to be some other non-passive option.

So, WWYD?

unoperro

Verified Member
Are you thinking 2 rail the solid and billard the hanging ball?

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I would have a look at kicking in the hanging ball and stacking the guy. Alternatively, depending on the score, I might kick it in and power up the stack.

2-railing the 5 and then billiarding in the hanging ball looks a bit risky to me.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
I believe cutting the 1 may move the 15 and the 9 both towards your hole.
To do that and billiard the hanger is as sketchy as my first option.
Shooting the ball in along the rail and sliding down for a
"Wish sandwich" looks as promising as either and all choices so far. IMHO

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
As Dr. Bill indicated, I'd play the hanging ball rail first with right English. No need to power it; the English will cause the CB to take off like a rocket. Carom off the pack and watch how the balls are begging to kiss off towards your hole. The CB should head back up table.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
As Dr. Bill indicated, I'd play the hanging ball rail first with right English. No need to power it; the English will cause the CB to take off like a rocket. Carom off the pack and watch how the balls are begging to kiss off towards your hole the CB should head back up the table.

I didn't choose the shot you're referring to, wish I had because it looks to be the right shot. I was describing Androd's shot and added the carom into the hanging ball as a possibility.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I might hit the lottery. I will shoot the stripe on the long rail, with good lh english, and hit it hard enough to make the stripe hanging in my opponent's hole if I hit it just right, and I will be on the good side of the stack, also. What's the worst that can happen? A rare opportunity here - the stuff of highlight videos.

beatle

Verified Member
i might hide him on the solid next to the cue ball trying to get the cueball over on his side more , this way the 9 combo i easier. if i leak it out his shot isnt easy to get more than one ball anyway.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
A Missed Opportunity to Gain the Upper Hand

That two railer on the solid with low right is tempting depending on the stakes.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
rail first with a lot of RHE medium speed, make his ball and CB goes over and probably caroms the ball above the 2 into your hole and CB goes up table as others had mentioned. I just like shooting it rail first to make sure I can get over to those balls.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Got it. I like shooting the hanging ball first and caroming off the pack because I'd be eliminating the problem immediately and then asking for good things to potentially happen.

I didn't choose the shot you're referring to, wish I had because it looks to be the right shot. I was describing Androd's shot and added the carom into the hanging ball as a possibility.

Dr. Bill