skid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
    I believe now that skids are caused by the cb rolling up and that causes everything.
    I think those skids (where the CB "climbs" the OB and hops a little) are just the most obvious ones, because they make a different sound. Skids can and do happen without the follow that causes that.

pj
    chgo

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
      I think those skids (where the CB "climbs" the OB and hops a little) are just the most obvious ones, because they make a different sound. Skids can and do happen without the follow that causes that.

pj
      chgo
      Agreed. There seem to be at least main categories of skids - those caused by excess friction between "gearing" balls and those caused by either an excess or insufficient amount of texture on the cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
        Agreed. There seem to be at least main categories of skids - those caused by excess friction between "gearing" balls and those caused by either an excess or insufficient amount of texture on the cloth.
        If by "gearing" balls you mean balls rubbing against each other, I agree - and of course that can happen with or without sidespin on a cut shot, just by the CB rubbing the OB as it passes by.

But I'm doubting the condition of the cloth makes a difference in the direction the OB goes.

pj
        chgo

Comment

If by "gearing" balls you mean balls rubbing against each other, I agree - and of course that can happen with or without sidespin on a cut shot, just by the CB rubbing the OB as it passes by.

But I'm doubting the condition of the cloth makes a difference in the direction the OB goes.

pj
          chgo
          You've never seen excess skidding on brand new cloth??

Comment

Originally posted by straightback View Post
            You've never seen excess skidding on brand new cloth??
            Can't say I've noticed more skids, but I do see object balls sliding more on slick cloth before they roll, which can look like skidding.

pj
            chgo

Comment

Can't say I've noticed more skids, but I do see object balls sliding more on slick cloth before they roll, which can look like skidding.

pj
              chgo
              thats why they have the banks at derby city first--the pockets play bigger on new cloth.....otherwise, might take a week to finish the banks alone......

Comment

Originally posted by poolisboring View Post
                ...pockets play bigger on new cloth...
                Hmmm... I sense a new "why?" thread in my future.

pj
                chgo

Comment

pj
                  chgo
                  I honestly can't even remember a time in 25 years of playing pool that I got a result as deviant as a slow high ball skin on a shot that had say draw on it. Is it possible I just didn't notice? I guess.

There's another thing to consider. Perhaps many the skids we see don't affect the outcome as much as we think. Frank mentioned earlier about still making balls on skids. I've experienced this as well. On the predominant slow, rolling skids, the cb does drastically alter.

Someone posted about efren explaining his thoughts on skids. I'm not trying to jump on an efren bandwagon or anything, but I really do agree with him... if skidding is anything of a concern, draw the ball. Another way to say that would be a good default position to go to for a conscientious pool player may be a draw stroke... and we do in fact see this in practice which is interesting. Count how many top players shoot the next 100 (semi difficult or above) nine balls in with draw vs follow and I bet it will be 10 to 1 at least.
                  Last edited by El Chapo; 09-23-2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X