5. Danny Smith 30
6. Justin Hall 30
7. Shane Van Boening 34
8. Francisco Bustamante 53
9. Gabe Owen 40
10. Jeremy Jones 46

beatle

Verified Member
really, none of them have been around long enough to be in a hall of fame.

if you want to make a hall of current great one pocket players that is something else.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i tried to find a list of our inductees
found a group of pictures but no list by names
help please

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i have to ask since i cant find the list
is hayden lingo /marcel camp in ??
i beleive they were among the pioneer greats of 1p (lingo the inventer?)
i think scott frost deserves consideration both for being the best for a long time and as far as action his matches with spots with dippy should be enough
jeremy i have questions
although i would like to see him in eventually
my impression is he is a ball below the greats
if that is true
i want to put on the ballot earl heisler
who played at the sports palace in new orleans for a long time
took on all comers AND IS in one of eddie robbins books
i also second the idea of getting the older players dead/alive IN
before the voting members are too young to remember

beatle

Verified Member
yea larry you arent alone i looked all over the site for a list and finally accidentally moved my mouse over a pic and figured it out. still a written list would be nice .

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
You know i don't think i have been here long enough to know the process on how you pick who gets in the HOF?

It's on the HOF page:
http://www.onepocket.org/hall-of-fame/

Selection criteria for The Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
yea larry you arent alone i looked all over the site for a list and finally accidentally moved my mouse over a pic and figured it out. still a written list would be nice .

Sorry guys! :sorry

I thought it was a creative way to show the HOF'ers with pics only and when you hover your mouse over it then it shows their name. I can see where having their name show in the beginning is helpful. I will work on changing that so it shows their name without having to hover.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There's no debate over whether or not we should have a HOF ceremony this year. The date, time and reservations have been set. So we'll have to fill in the blanks.

It was easy when we could still choose Ronnie, Grady, Squirrel, etc. But there are no obvious standouts who have been both historic 1P players, and have also been top players.

The true historic guys ought to be considered: Johnny Vevis, Johnny "Irish" Lineen, Joey Spaeth, Johnny Ervolino, and the like.

Of the active competitors, the only guys that might possibly be considered are Jeremy Jones, Scott Frost, and Francisco Bustamante.

In my view, Bustamante was always a rotation game player. He took up one pocket later in his career, possibly to be able to compete in the DCC all-around. He plays the game well, especially in recent years; but one pocket was never his "bag".

Frost was the most entertaining and fearsome 1P player to come along since Ronnie Allen. There's no question that he'll go into the HOF, but it may be a little early. And who knows if Scott will continue to compete? He hates the tournament format, and he's probably putting in a lot of effort into his new poolroom.

Of the three, JJ would be my pick. He's never had the record of a Shannon Daulton, or the excitement of a Scott Frost or Alex Pagulayan. But he's been a top one pocket expert for years-- since the days he was mentored by the great Jersey Red. He is a strategist unequaled outside of the Chicago school. He's won his share of tournaments, is always near the top, and he promotes the game solidly. He is an incisive commentator, and never hesitates to offer a tip to those with questions. He's probably playing 1P as well today as he was 25 years ago.

And lastly, sooner or later Steve Booth must go in under the Teachers and Promoters category. It's inconceivable that the popularity of one pocket would be where it is today without Steve's marvelous website, onepocket.org. Started in 2004, it immediately drew the attention of 1P devotees everywhere. It continues to be the unofficial authority in the game of one-pocket, and is known throughout the international pool community as the "go-to" reference for our game.

In my view Steve's website, and his tireless promotion of our game, ranks just behind the Janscos, Grady Matthews, and Greg Sullivan as forces which have cemented this great game into the high position that it enjoys today. And he has effusively promoted the HOF to honor great players who would otherwise never be heard of.

Steve is a New Hampshire WASP-- a guy whose nature would never allow him to even consider promoting himself personally, nor bask in the glow of limelight, nor even be comfortable accepting compliments..;) So whenever we're ready, it's going to have to be a consensus from the membership majority that insists that he be recognized.

~Doc

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
It's on the HOF page:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Thanks but thats not what i meant. Is there a poll or something or do certain individuals pick them?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
CK, I like your style. You really take care of business!

~Doc

my pleasure Doc ~ :D

I also agree with pretty much everything you said above. I think Frost (and JJ) for sure will make it in the HOF eventually and the only question is when.

I also agree that without Steve Booth's efforts over the years, this game would not be what it is today. The website, the promotions, the photos, the HOF dinners, (and a lot more I am not mentioning, I am sure!) - He should also have a place among those who have helped grow this game. He may not be able to beat the top players at one hole but he can give 10-7 to anyone else out there based on the contributions he has made to the game. :) - he has my vote too Doc!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks but thats not what i meant. Is there a poll or something or do certain individuals pick them?

From what I have read on the forums in the past, I think it's based on a thread like this. Members will post their picks or name some considerations, everyone who is interested in joining in on the discussion will and eventually I think there may be a poll.

I could be wrong John, I have only been on this site for less than 2 years, so this will be my first experience of it too. :)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I'm only going to throw out two names and they are ones that only one pocket players would know.

Marcel Camp

James Walden

Nobody went looking for either of these two.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There's no debate over whether or not we should have a HOF ceremony this year. The date, time and reservations have been set. So we'll have to fill in the blanks.

It was easy when we could still choose Ronnie, Grady, Squirrel, etc. But there are no obvious standouts who have been both historic 1P players, and have also been top players.

The true historic guys ought to be considered: Johnny Vevis, Johnny "Irish" Lineen, Joey Spaeth, Johnny Ervolino, and the like.

Of the active competitors, the only guys that might possibly be considered are Jeremy Jones, Scott Frost, and Francisco Bustamante.

In my view, Bustamante was always a rotation game player. He took up one pocket later in his career, possibly to be able to compete in the DCC all-around. He plays the game well, especially in recent years; but one pocket was never his "bag".

Frost was the most entertaining and fearsome 1P player to come along since Ronnie Allen. There's no question that he'll go into the HOF, but it may be a little early. And who knows if Scott will continue to compete? He hates the tournament format, and he's probably putting in a lot of effort into his new poolroom.

Of the three, JJ would be my pick. He's never had the record of a Shannon Daulton, or the excitement of a Scott Frost or Alex Pagulayan. But he's been a top one pocket expert for years-- since the days he was mentored by the great Jersey Red. He is a strategist unequaled outside of the Chicago school. He's won his share of tournaments, is always near the top, and he promotes the game solidly. He is an incisive commentator, and never hesitates to offer a tip to those with questions. He's probably playing 1P as well today as he was 25 years ago.

And lastly, sooner or later Steve Booth must go in under the Teachers and Promoters category. It's inconceivable that the popularity of one pocket would be where it is today without Steve's marvelous website, onepocket.org. Started in 2004, it immediately drew the attention of 1P devotees everywhere. It continues to be the unofficial authority in the game of one-pocket, and is known throughout the international pool community as the "go-to" reference for our game.

In my view Steve's website, and his tireless promotion of our game, ranks just behind the Janscos, Grady Matthews, and Greg Sullivan as forces which have cemented this great game into the high position that it enjoys today. And he has effusively promoted the HOF to honor great players who would otherwise never be heard of.

Steve is a New Hampshire WASP-- a guy whose nature would never allow him to even consider promoting himself personally, nor bask in the glow of limelight, nor even be comfortable accepting compliments..;) So whenever we're ready, it's going to have to be a consensus from the membership majority that insists that he be recognized.

~Doc
Thank you very much Doc, but no worries -- As it happens in our guidelines I don't even qualify yet -- you will have to wait at least until 2025 for my "20 years" to kick in, and then still have to debate the merits lol.

:D:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One thing I look for in our HOF when it comes to the great all around players, and their eligibility for our HOF, is to ask the question, "Did they really embrace the game of One Pocket and demonstrate that for a significant period in their career?"

To me, that rules out some pretty good candidates, like James Rempe & Mike Sigel and quite possibly still Bustamante at this point in his career, because although they could play great One Pocket and did win a tournament or two, they never (to my knowledge anyway) seriously embraced the game for any significant stretch of their careers. Buddy Hall on the other hand, did 100% embrace One Pocket later in his career even though he was mainly known for 9-ball of course. Varner no question, he was all over One Pocket, pretty young even, under the tutelage of Daddy Warbucks. Likewise Ed Kelly and Parica, etc., they have long been associated with One Pocket. Busty still has time though.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It's on the HOF page:

thanks cincy
looks much better