No announcement yet.

2018 One Pocket Hall of Fame nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would say steve booth under category 3, and another well deserving name under that category would be joe thomas, 87 year old op legend--he made a op video that freddy used to sell on his site,maybe he still does.....him and fred were good buddies......joe has played one pocket with everyone from cornbread red to bunny rogoff, to eddie taylor, and he's beaten most of them at one time or another..... i know there are some good op players here, but i would guess most of us would have our hands full playing him, and he's 87 years old--and he ONLY plays one pocket and thats all he's played for at least the last 20-30 years.......if not for him, i doubt there would be so many good op players in toledo/detroit area like there are now.......

Comment

Eugene "Clem" Metz
      Johnny "Irish" Lineen
      Marcel Camp
      Earl Heisler
      Joey Spaeth
      Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer
      "Connecticut Johnny" Vives

"Black Nate" Colbert (still alive)
      Pete Fusco (still alive)

I imagine most, if not all, of these guys could have held their own against the two 40-somethings being so frequently mentioned on this thread, Scott and Jeremy.

Some of them didn't play in tournaments, but neither did Jack Cooney (in the HOF), and he wasn't the favorite necessarily against most on this list.

Comment

Originally posted by BackPocket9Ball View Post
        Eugene "Clem" Metz
        Johnny "Irish" Lineen
        Marcel Camp
        Earl Heisler
        Joey Spaeth
        Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

I imagine most, if not all, of these guys could have held their own against the two 40-somethings being so frequently mentioned on this thread, Scott and Jeremy.

Some of them didn't play in tournaments, but neither did Jack Cooney (in the HOF), and he wasn't the favorite necessarily against most on this list.
        Hey good to hear from you -- maybe see you at DCC in Januray?
        "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
        -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Eugene "Clem" Metz
          Johnny "Irish" Lineen
          Marcel Camp
          Earl Heisler
          Joey Spaeth
          Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

That’s a great list
          I do think we need to get the past players in to preserve their legacy before they become forgotten
          Before there is no one around who remembers them
          JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Scrzbill View Post
            I agree that at some time Steve Booth should go in under category 3 recognition but in the meantime can we talk about another category 3, John Henderson’s contribution as a teacher/promoter/player for over fifty years? His newsletters were way ahead of the time, promotion of the Super Seniors One Pocket, his play has always been superbly competitive, his demeanor has earned him the name “Gentleman John”, he won the Super Seniors he promoted, he is actively sought as a One Pocket commentator, and he still wins one of the toughest local monthly tournaments run. I know I always pitch him, but I do it because I recognized his significance to the game of One Pocket. Am I the only one?
            nope......

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
              nope......
              I second that too, Dustin.

Comment

Eugene "Clem" Metz
                Johnny "Irish" Lineen
                Marcel Camp
                Earl Heisler
                Joey Spaeth
                Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

Good list indeed! Some I do not know of but Clem, Joey would have my vote for sure...

Comment

clem should get in for sure......

Comment

Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                    Hey good to hear from you -- maybe see you at DCC in Januray?
                    I do sometimes miss 1P, Steve, but unfortunately for pool, i now have 4 kids under the age of 6, and a wife who has no knowledge of or interest in pool. It's been almost 10 years since I gave it up. Maybe one day I'll get back into it, but not for a while at least

Comment

Eugene "Clem" Metz
                      Johnny "Irish" Lineen
                      Marcel Camp
                      Earl Heisler
                      Joey Spaeth
                      Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                      Good list indeed! Some I do not know of but Clem, Joey would have my vote for sure...
                      Originally posted by poolisboring View Post
                      clem should get in for sure......

here's some enjoyable reading:

https://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5271

https://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6464

Comment

bill stroud on clem metz'
                        Clem was a great player
                        Bill Stroud
                        Last edited by lll; 10-17-2017, 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

rafael martinez was thrown out there a few years ago....

mark tadd must have been an absolute monster about 25 yrs ago....

hendy has been mentioned (imho, i concur)....da barber and tom-tom should warrant consideration as well....

NHSteve should be a write in on all ballots. (i could give two shits about this arbitrary '20 year' rule in extenuating circumstances....)

jmho....
                          Last edited by Miller; 10-17-2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Well I have no problem with any of the nominations thus far. One could build a case for any of them. I would like to nominate Eddie Robbins actually. He has written the definitive book on One Pocket and those that own one would never sell their copy. We have never stepped out of the box so to speak and nominated someone for their contributions to the game in a non playing capacity. Eddie brought the game via his writings to all of us to scrutinize and embellish. Only Tom Wirth has come up with a manuscript that has dealt with the game from a written strategic point of view. Our own Steve Booth also fits into the Outside the Box catagory with his passion and Website we all cherish. I vote for Eddie Robbins.

Comment

i'd give eddie robin my vote..... is cornbread red in? probably, but from what i saw,one hell of a one pocket player and a good banker too...... what about vernon elliot--i played him a few times at genes pool room in banks, he could really play, and that was after he hadnt been playing much......rafael martinez should get in just from his creative shotmaking skills...... lots of qualified players here, all deserving of a vote.....and of course my old buddy beanie, but he's probably already in......

Comment

Originally posted by poolisboring View Post
                                i'd give eddie robin my vote..... is cornbread red in? probably, but from what i saw,one hell of a one pocket player and a good banker too...... what about vernon elliot--i played him a few times at genes pool room in banks, he could really play, and that was after he hadnt been playing much......rafael martinez should get in just from his creative shotmaking skills...... lots of qualified players here, all deserving of a vote.....and of course my old buddy beanie, but he's probably already in......
                                http://www.onepocket.org/hall-of-fame/

yes cornbread is in:
                                http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inducte...t/billy-burge/

vernon too:
                                http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inducte...ernon-elliott/

this beenie?
                                http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inducte...t/bill-staton/

Comment

Working...
                                X