2018 One Pocket Hall of Fame nominations

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
johhny also was the biggest dumper on the east coast. he used all his admirers and friends and any acquaintances and stakes horses to dump them in games. or to borrow and stiff them. he had to leave the east coast as people there were about to do what he feared. so some of the scary ones sent him to vegas to work at caesars palace to pay them back. to put him in any hall of fame to me is disgusting.
his only claim to pool fame is he played really good.

He came through CA in the 60’s and I beat him out of $50 playing golf at Five Points Bowl. You would have thought he lost his house, car and girlfriend with all the whining that went on.

He dumped a Tournament off in Seattle in the 90’s after his partner put some bets down in the finals getting some odds. He won the first two games going to four, playing flawless one pocket. After the $$ went down he lost four in a row. I was watching with Hal Mix and when he started losing he came over and told us his elbow had started locking up. Bill Cress bet his last $400 on Johnny and wanted to shoot him.

He was a real beauty all right and did play all games well, but others deserve the Hall of Fame more IMO.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
johhny also was the biggest dumper on the east coast. he used all his admirers and friends and any acquaintances and stakes horses to dump them in games. or to borrow and stiff them. he had to leave the east coast as people there were about to do what he feared. so some of the scary ones sent him to vegas to work at caesars palace to pay them back. to put him in any hall of fame to me is disgusting.
his only claim to pool fame is he played really good.
Point taken. Ervolino was a treacherous package, although Beard claimed that Ervolino was loyal to his friends.

But if we were to have a good citizen qualifier for the HOF, then a third of the guys already in the HOF would not have qualified. It's a hall of fame, not a hall of morality. It seems to me that the golden age of pool hustling was full of guys who ranged from mildly larcenous to full-on psychopaths-- not a choir boy among them.

It was a rough way to try to make a living. And when the smoke cleared, very few guys were able to. But we still are fascinated from a distance at the characters, and feel compelled to recognize the best players.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Point taken. Ervolino was a treacherous package, although Beard claimed that Ervolino was loyal to his friends.

But if we were to have a good citizen qualifier for the HOF, then a third of the guys already in the HOF would not have qualified. It's a hall of fame, not a hall of morality. It seems to me that the golden age of pool hustling was full of guys who ranged from mildly larcenous to full-on psychopaths-- not a choir boy among them.

It was a rough way to try to make a living. And when the smoke cleared, very few guys were able to. But we still are fascinated from a distance at the characters, and feel compelled to recognize the best players.

~Doc

Doc, I'm tired of you holding out on us. You should have a dozen journal entries by now.

You in witness protection or somethin'?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, I'm tired of you holding out on us. You should have a dozen journal entries by now.

You in witness protection or somethin'?
Heh, heh. Thanks, bro. I might venture over there one day. But I'm not much of a fiction writer. I sure enjoy reading y'alls stuff. Vapros is our very own JL Burke.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Heh, heh. Thanks, bro. I might venture over there one day. But I'm not much of a fiction writer. I sure enjoy reading y'alls stuff. Vapros is our very own JL Burke.

~Doc

Yeah, Burke; that's the right comparison.

As for you, non-fiction would be even better. I know you've got war stories.

And I'll bet you could tell a lot of us stuff about Saw Palmetto, DHEA, CoQ-10, Hyaluronic Acid, etc, etc, etc that we'd like to know.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH

~Doc

Very well said.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Very well said.

He always is.. I looked up what I could.. Seems that Lineen may have been the best player of any of them that's not in there..So little out there about him, but Johnny Ervolino knew Johnny 'Irish' Lineen and talked about him a lot and seemed to revere him.... Contemporaries said Lineen was second only to Greenleaf. He used to play James Evans 75 or no count on a ten footer with tough pockets. Beard couldn't relate things first hand since Lineen passed in 1965, but he was told he was better than Jersey Red or Ervolino but I don't know how much one pocket he played. I think Helfert knew him a little bit..Great player but not a good earner.. He also imbibed and love the track (way too much)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
He always is.. I looked up what I could.. Seems that Lineen may have been the best player of any of them that's not in there..So little out there about him, but Johnny Ervolino knew Johnny 'Irish' Lineen and talked about him a lot and seemed to revere him.... Contemporaries said Lineen was second only to Greenleaf. He used to play James Evans 75 or no count on a ten footer with tough pockets. Beard couldn't relate things first hand since Lineen passed in 1965, but he was told he was better than Jersey Red or Ervolino but I don't know how much one pocket he played. I think Helfert knew him a little bit..Great player but not a good earner.. He also imbibed and love the track (way too much)

Jersey Red thought he was the best !

beatle

Verified Member
no hall of fame's or even honorary things or places give people of real bad character or have done heinous deeds entry or recognition.

to do it lessens the whole procedure.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jersey Red thought he was the best !
Rod, your sentence could be taken two ways. Did Red think that Johnny Irish was the best? He certainly may have been.

I've also read that many of the old timers thought that Rags Fitzpatrick was the best. It's tough to gauge the historical guys who stayed under the radar because there were no tournaments, and the top guys shunned public recognition. In addition some of the best shooters shortened their careers by flaming out on booze or drugs.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, your sentence could be taken two ways. Did Red think that Johnny Irish was the best? He certainly may have been.

I've also read that many of the old timers thought that Rags Fitzpatrick was the best. It's tough to gauge the historical guys who stayed under the radar because there were no tournaments, and the top guys shunned public recognition. In addition some of the best shooters shortened their careers by flaming out on booze or drugs.

~Doc

Oops my bad.
Yes Jersey Red thought Johnny Irish was he beest.