2018 One Pocket Hall of Fame nominations

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It is official, we will be back for our Hall of Fame dinner Wednesday the 24th of January at the 20th annual Derby City Classic. Please note that is a change from the Tuesday nights we used to hold the dinner, but Wednesday should be an improvement because on Tuesday night we always conflicted with the Banks finals. Thank you for including this in your Derby City itinerary, and we will see you there!!

So who should be inducted this year? Who among the players out there have been at or near the very top of One Pocket or Banks competition for the last 20 years or so? This can be in tournament or action -- of course we respect both!! Also please consider what they have given back to the game in terms of promotion and education -- that is another of our criteria.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
In the last 20 years, here is my take of players over 40 that have dominated one pocket:

1. Efren Reyes-HOF
2. Scott Frost
3. Cliff Joyner-HOF
4. Shannon Daulton-HOF
5. Nick Varner-HOF
6. Jose Parica-HOF
7. Buddy Hall-HOF
8. James Walden
9. Jeremy Jones
10. Jack Cooney-HOF

So the three guys that are most deserving are Frost, Jones and Walden. My two cents.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
From the three names above there's one no brainer pick.....Scott Frost
He's been a top 1P player for 20 years. Tournaments, action, DVD's.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
From the three names above there's one no brainer pick.....Scott Frost
He's been a top 1P player for 20 years. Tournaments, action, DVD's.

I think he's the easy pick. He and Cliff were the top American Players in One Pocket for many years.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
In the last 20 years, here is my take of players over 40 that have dominated one pocket:

1. Efren Reyes-HOF
2. Scott Frost
3. Cliff Joyner-HOF
4. Shannon Daulton-HOF
5. Nick Varner-HOF
6. Jose Parica-HOF
7. Buddy Hall-HOF
8. James Walden
9. Jeremy Jones
10. Jack Cooney-HOF

So the three guys that are most deserving are Frost, Jones and Walden. My two cents.

One Pocket:

1. Scott Frost
2. Jeremy Jones
3. Gabe Owen

Bank Pool:

1. Francisco Bustamante

Pool In Action:

1. Bob Ogburn

This is my early list, I'll add more later

:)

Last edited:

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
The Freezer and Double J are without a doubt deserving of the HOF. Whether in tournament or action they produced results year after year.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's an interesting choice between Frost and Jones-- and to a lesser extent Owen.

JJ is the senior player, having been a protege of Jersey Red's, and also having played in events since the early '90s. He's won the U.S. Open, and a slew of lesser events.

Frost has dazzled us for years. Although not known for frequent major tourney wins, he did win the DCC (plus a 2nd place), the U.S. Open, and a Carolinas Open (it used to be considered a major), along with many lesser events.

Owen's record is more similar to JJ's. He won a DCC and a Carolinas Open, along with a bunch of lesser events. He also placed 2nd in a U.S. Open.

My inclination is to go with JJ, since he's the elder. And no one knows the game better than does Jeremy.

There's no question that Scott will get in. If JJ goes in this year, Scott would be the logical next choice. And Gabe might qualify down the line-- perhaps when he's a little older.

~Doc

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Johnny Irish Lineen was supposed to be a top one pocket player according to numerous knowledgable players. Good enough for me.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Will there only be one HOF induction from the three criteria sections? It is my feeling that each criteria should allow for an induction. Three criterias, three possible selections.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
:eek:Frost has been a superlative player for many years. In the past ten years his name has been among the top when mentioning top players. He played everyone, Efrin, Alex. His accomplishments are well known.
:DJJ- The initials alone tell you who he is. Although not as well known as the very top players, his knowledge of the game is exceptional and he is acknowledged as one of the better announcers, being sought after for his excellence. Longevity, I remember him winning a tournament in Santa Rosa over 20 years ago.
;)JR Hendy-Although not known as a top player, he finished high in the US Open when he was over 60. He won the OP.Org Super Seniors. Again this week he finished second in one of the toughest monthly tournaments you will find anywhere. He finishes first on a regular basis. But it isn’t his superior play that is the basis for his nomination. It is his OVERALL CONTRIBUTION to the game of One Pocket. For forty years JOHN HENDERSON has contributed to One Pocket and pool with his dedication by playing daily anyone and everyone all over the West Coast from Southern California to Northern California. He produced a monthly newsletter that was distributed all over the West Coast and for awhile it was distributed over the www. I believe that the third cartegory of our standards for entry should be Renamed The Gentleman’s JOHN award for his demeanor, gamesmanship, fairness, honesty, sincerity, and more than just principles. The Honor that Gentleman JOHN brings to the game is rarely matched and is seen by very few players. His attitude towards opposing players is of poise and honor. He deports himself in ways we all could aspire. If anyone deserves entrance to the HOF based on integrity, dedication, and longevity of contributions to the game of One Pocket for over forty years, JR Henry is one deserving. And he has played all comers during the same period, including beating World Champion Larry Lisciotti.

beatle

Verified Member
you have gary spaith inducted but not his dad joey, who was one of the original one pocket players and did take on all comers and play long sessions for decent stakes.
it is just he was before most peoples time here and wasnt a big name on the tournament circuit.

and tommy halliday who could beat most of the other inductees, and got 4th in Johnson city and 2nd in a stardust tourney. and they were one of the few tournaments he ever played in. he also played back east and hustled all comers and hardly ever lost. but he was a lock job player.

hall of fames need to favor the long gone, as thats what a hall of fame is about to remember the greats of the past.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jeremy Jones and Scott Frost for me too. Maybe both this next year because we have missed a couple years.

I agree all the way with this.. The years are flying by and to me it's almost like an insult to have either of these guys wait out any more years..jmo..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
First off, that's great news!!!

We will work on updating the website this week to reflect this!

As far as nominations, I think some great names have already come up in previous posts. I never got the chance to see Joey play but if he played as well as I have heard I would for sure think he should be inducted at some point.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
...hall of fames need to favor the long gone, as thats what a hall of fame is about to remember the greats of the past.

You make a good point, Beatle. We've of necessity skipped over a couple of guys who were fearsome players in their day. Two that come to mind: Johnny Vevis and Johnny Ervolino.

Vevis of course won the very first Johnston City 1P, beating several HOF-ers in the process. And Ervolino won two Stardust 1Ps, along with several lesser events.

Nevertheless there might be a practical consideration in terms of the dinner itself. I don't know who's around to accept an award for either Vevis or Ervolino, although Steve has been quite a sleuth at getting inductee's relatives to accept awards in the past. There's also the matter of having enough interest to entice dinner attendees.

It might be smart to bring a guy in from the past, along with a current seasoned player like Jeremy Jones, at the same HOF ceremony.

Food for thought...

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

You make a good point, Beatle. We've of necessity skipped over a couple of guys who were fearsome players in their day. Two that come to mind: Johnny Vevis and Johnny Ervolino.

Vevis of course won the very first Johnston City 1P, beating several HOF-ers in the process. And Ervolino won two Stardust 1Ps, along with several lesser events.

Nevertheless there might be a practical consideration in terms of the dinner itself. I don't know who's around to accept an award for either Vevis or Ervolino, although Steve has been quite a sleuth at getting inductee's relatives to accept awards in the past. There's also the matter of having enough interest to entice dinner attendees.

It might be smart to bring a guy in from the past, along with a current seasoned player like Jeremy Jones, at the same HOF ceremony.

Food for thought...

~Doc
Good observations, and it is true, sometimes it is tough finding family. One year, I found family, but not the player, because even his family had thought the reclusive Javanly 'Youngblood' Washington had died at some point after he disappeared from pool and his family circle. The funny thing was, in the crowd at the HOF dinner, for a moment Freddy lost track of the fact that Youngblood's family was present to accept, and he started to say, too bad no one there to accept after a really great acknowledgement of Youngblood, including some pretty funny stories. But yes, they were there and did accept the plaque.

The really strange twist to the story though was that a couple of years later I was contacted by a young woman that worked in a coin shop that Javanly had regularly visited -- often enough that she got to know and expect him as a regular. So when he did not show up she began to inquire in his neighborhood, and ultimately he was found dead of natural causes in his room. When his body went unclaimed at the morgue, she became an online sleuth and of course she quickly found onepocket.org and used the Contact Us form to see if we could locate his relatives. Indeed I was able to and in death he was reunited with his family through that persistent and caring young woman and onepocket.org. Amazing story really, and it meant he was indeed alive when he was inducted.

At the very least he had a quirky personality, but he was an amazing banker, perhaps the greatest ever at stringing runs of banks together (along with Eddie Taylor). He was known for proclaiming he was out, if his opponent left a little shot even if he needed a bunch of balls, and indeed banking out from there. He was the first black player to enter a major pool tournament (Johnston City) in 1962 -- three years before the BCA let Cisero Murphy in to their straight pool tournament.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i saw what looked like a pic of vernon elliot.... used to play him at gene's in myrtle beach...... beanie used to come in there too......