2. Jeremy Jones
3. Gabe Owen

Bank Pool:

1. Francisco Bustamante

Pool In Action:

1. Bob Ogburn

This is my early list, I'll add more later

:)

My nomination of Bustamante was for bank pool and not for onepocket.

Thanks,

John:)

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There's no debate over whether or not we should have a HOF ceremony this year. The date, time and reservations have been set. So we'll have to fill in the blanks.

It was easy when we could still choose Ronnie, Grady, Squirrel, etc. But there are no obvious standouts who have been both historic 1P players, and have also been top players.

The true historic guys ought to be considered: Johnny Vevis, Johnny "Irish" Lineen, Joey Spaeth, Johnny Ervolino, and the like.

Of the active competitors, the only guys that might possibly be considered are Jeremy Jones, Scott Frost, and Francisco Bustamante.

In my view, Bustamante was always a rotation game player. He took up one pocket later in his career, possibly to be able to compete in the DCC all-around. He plays the game well, especially in recent years; but one pocket was never his "bag".

Frost was the most entertaining and fearsome 1P player to come along since Ronnie Allen. There's no question that he'll go into the HOF, but it may be a little early. And who knows if Scott will continue to compete? He hates the tournament format, and he's probably putting in a lot of effort into his new poolroom.

Of the three, JJ would be my pick. He's never had the record of a Shannon Daulton, or the excitement of a Scott Frost or Alex Pagulayan. But he's been a top one pocket expert for years-- since the days he was mentored by the great Jersey Red. He is a strategist unequaled outside of the Chicago school. He's won his share of tournaments, is always near the top, and he promotes the game solidly. He is an incisive commentator, and never hesitates to offer a tip to those with questions. He's probably playing 1P as well today as he was 25 years ago.

And lastly, sooner or later Steve Booth must go in under the Teachers and Promoters category. It's inconceivable that the popularity of one pocket would be where it is today without Steve's marvelous website, onepocket.org. Started in 2004, it immediately drew the attention of 1P devotees everywhere. It continues to be the unofficial authority in the game of one-pocket, and is known throughout the international pool community as the "go-to" reference for our game.

In my view Steve's website, and his tireless promotion of our game, ranks just behind the Janscos, Grady Matthews, and Greg Sullivan as forces which have cemented this great game into the high position that it enjoys today. And he has effusively promoted the HOF to honor great players who would otherwise never be heard of.

Steve is a New Hampshire WASP-- a guy whose nature would never allow him to even consider promoting himself personally, nor bask in the glow of limelight, nor even be comfortable accepting compliments..;) So whenever we're ready, it's going to have to be a consensus from the membership majority that insists that he be recognized.

~Doc

Doc, how can one argue with your assessment of the candidates, I agree with everything you have mentioned and my vote mimicks your suggestions. Now if we were talking about wwyd's, that would be a horse of a different color.:p

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
There's no debate over whether or not we should have a HOF ceremony this year. The date, time and reservations have been set. So we'll have to fill in the blanks.

It was easy when we could still choose Ronnie, Grady, Squirrel, etc. But there are no obvious standouts who have been both historic 1P players, and have also been top players.

The true historic guys ought to be considered: Johnny Vevis, Johnny "Irish" Lineen, Joey Spaeth, Johnny Ervolino, and the like.

Of the active competitors, the only guys that might possibly be considered are Jeremy Jones, Scott Frost, and Francisco Bustamante.

In my view, Bustamante was always a rotation game player. He took up one pocket later in his career, possibly to be able to compete in the DCC all-around. He plays the game well, especially in recent years; but one pocket was never his "bag".

Frost was the most entertaining and fearsome 1P player to come along since Ronnie Allen. There's no question that he'll go into the HOF, but it may be a little early. And who knows if Scott will continue to compete? He hates the tournament format, and he's probably putting in a lot of effort into his new poolroom.

Of the three, JJ would be my pick. He's never had the record of a Shannon Daulton, or the excitement of a Scott Frost or Alex Pagulayan. But he's been a top one pocket expert for years-- since the days he was mentored by the great Jersey Red. He is a strategist unequaled outside of the Chicago school. He's won his share of tournaments, is always near the top, and he promotes the game solidly. He is an incisive commentator, and never hesitates to offer a tip to those with questions. He's probably playing 1P as well today as he was 25 years ago.

And lastly, sooner or later Steve Booth must go in under the Teachers and Promoters category. It's inconceivable that the popularity of one pocket would be where it is today without Steve's marvelous website, onepocket.org. Started in 2004, it immediately drew the attention of 1P devotees everywhere. It continues to be the unofficial authority in the game of one-pocket, and is known throughout the international pool community as the "go-to" reference for our game.

In my view Steve's website, and his tireless promotion of our game, ranks just behind the Janscos, Grady Matthews, and Greg Sullivan as forces which have cemented this great game into the high position that it enjoys today. And he has effusively promoted the HOF to honor great players who would otherwise never be heard of.

Steve is a New Hampshire WASP-- a guy whose nature would never allow him to even consider promoting himself personally, nor bask in the glow of limelight, nor even be comfortable accepting compliments..;) So whenever we're ready, it's going to have to be a consensus from the membership majority that insists that he be recognized.

~Doc

Don't know how I missed this earlier, but just saw it with Dr. Bill's response.

Good thinking and very well said.

I'm with you 100%.

(BTW, you're a damned good writer.)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
There's no debate over whether or not we should have a HOF ceremony this year. The date, time and reservations have been set. So we'll have to fill in the blanks

~Doc

I agree that at some time Steve Booth should go in under category 3 recognition but in the meantime can we talk about another category 3, John Henderson’s contribution as a teacher/promoter/player for over fifty years? His newsletters were way ahead of the time, promotion of the Super Seniors One Pocket, his play has always been superbly competitive, his demeanor has earned him the name “Gentleman John”, he won the Super Seniors he promoted, he is actively sought as a One Pocket commentator, and he still wins one of the toughest local monthly tournaments run. I know I always pitch him, but I do it because I recognized his significance to the game of One Pocket. Am I the only one?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm only going to throw out two names and they are ones that only one pocket players would know.

Marcel Camp

James Walden

Nobody went looking for either of these two.

i am not familiar with james walden but marcel camp i think is very deserving

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i would say steve booth under category 3, and another well deserving name under that category would be joe thomas, 87 year old op legend--he made a op video that freddy used to sell on his site,maybe he still does.....him and fred were good buddies......joe has played one pocket with everyone from cornbread red to bunny rogoff, to eddie taylor, and he's beaten most of them at one time or another..... i know there are some good op players here, but i would guess most of us would have our hands full playing him, and he's 87 years old--and he ONLY plays one pocket and thats all he's played for at least the last 20-30 years.......if not for him, i doubt there would be so many good op players in toledo/detroit area like there are now.......

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Eugene "Clem" Metz
Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer
"Connecticut Johnny" Vives

"Black Nate" Colbert (still alive)
Pete Fusco (still alive)

I imagine most, if not all, of these guys could have held their own against the two 40-somethings being so frequently mentioned on this thread, Scott and Jeremy.

Some of them didn't play in tournaments, but neither did Jack Cooney (in the HOF), and he wasn't the favorite necessarily against most on this list.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Eugene "Clem" Metz
Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

I imagine most, if not all, of these guys could have held their own against the two 40-somethings being so frequently mentioned on this thread, Scott and Jeremy.

Some of them didn't play in tournaments, but neither did Jack Cooney (in the HOF), and he wasn't the favorite necessarily against most on this list.

Hey good to hear from you -- maybe see you at DCC in Januray?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Eugene "Clem" Metz
Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

That’s a great list
I do think we need to get the past players in to preserve their legacy before they become forgotten
Before there is no one around who remembers them
JMHO

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I agree that at some time Steve Booth should go in under category 3 recognition but in the meantime can we talk about another category 3, John Henderson’s contribution as a teacher/promoter/player for over fifty years? His newsletters were way ahead of the time, promotion of the Super Seniors One Pocket, his play has always been superbly competitive, his demeanor has earned him the name “Gentleman John”, he won the Super Seniors he promoted, he is actively sought as a One Pocket commentator, and he still wins one of the toughest local monthly tournaments run. I know I always pitch him, but I do it because I recognized his significance to the game of One Pocket. Am I the only one?

nope......
;)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Eugene "Clem" Metz
Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

Good list indeed! Some I do not know of but Clem, Joey would have my vote for sure...

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Hey good to hear from you -- maybe see you at DCC in Januray?

I do sometimes miss 1P, Steve, but unfortunately for pool, i now have 4 kids under the age of 6, and a wife who has no knowledge of or interest in pool. It's been almost 10 years since I gave it up. Maybe one day I'll get back into it, but not for a while at least :)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Eugene "Clem" Metz
Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer

Pete Fusco (still alive)

Good list indeed! Some I do not know of but Clem, Joey would have my vote for sure...

clem should get in for sure......

here's some enjoyable reading:

https://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5271

https://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6464

:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
rafael martinez was thrown out there a few years ago....

mark tadd must have been an absolute monster about 25 yrs ago....

hendy has been mentioned (imho, i concur)....da barber and tom-tom should warrant consideration as well....

NHSteve should be a write in on all ballots. (i could give two shits about this arbitrary '20 year' rule in extenuating circumstances....)

jmho....:D

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Well I have no problem with any of the nominations thus far. One could build a case for any of them. I would like to nominate Eddie Robbins actually. He has written the definitive book on One Pocket and those that own one would never sell their copy. We have never stepped out of the box so to speak and nominated someone for their contributions to the game in a non playing capacity. Eddie brought the game via his writings to all of us to scrutinize and embellish. Only Tom Wirth has come up with a manuscript that has dealt with the game from a written strategic point of view. Our own Steve Booth also fits into the Outside the Box catagory with his passion and Website we all cherish. I vote for Eddie Robbins.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i'd give eddie robin my vote..... is cornbread red in? probably, but from what i saw,one hell of a one pocket player and a good banker too...... what about vernon elliot--i played him a few times at genes pool room in banks, he could really play, and that was after he hadnt been playing much......rafael martinez should get in just from his creative shotmaking skills...... lots of qualified players here, all deserving of a vote.....and of course my old buddy beanie, but he's probably already in......

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
i'd give eddie robin my vote..... is cornbread red in? probably, but from what i saw,one hell of a one pocket player and a good banker too...... what about vernon elliot--i played him a few times at genes pool room in banks, he could really play, and that was after he hadnt been playing much......rafael martinez should get in just from his creative shotmaking skills...... lots of qualified players here, all deserving of a vote.....and of course my old buddy beanie, but he's probably already in......

http://www.onepocket.org/hall-of-fame/ :)

yes cornbread is in:
http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inductees/onepocket/billy-burge/

vernon too:
http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inductees/bankpool/vernon-elliott/

this beenie?
http://www.onepocket.org/hof/inductees/onepocket/bill-staton/