Johnny "Irish" Lineen
Marcel Camp
Earl Heisler
Joey Spaeth
Jafar "Patch-Eye"Basheer
"Connecticut Johnny" Vives

"Black Nate" Colbert (still alive)
Pete Fusco (still alive)

I imagine most, if not all, of these guys could have held their own against the two 40-somethings being so frequently mentioned on this thread, Scott and Jeremy.

Some of them didn't play in tournaments, but neither did Jack Cooney (in the HOF), and he wasn't the favorite necessarily against most on this list.

Ran your list by Buddy today. His top 2 picks out if your list as the best players out of these are Johnny Irish and Joey Spaeth

Attachments

• IMG_20171017_164634809.jpg
    IMG_20171017_164634809.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My opinion as a relative new poster here is we should for sure elect one of our own elder statesman as well as a past Pro if we are doing two as suggested. Joey Spaeth in the pro category. Mr Henderson certainly fits the bill as one of our own and is very deserving. Heck, that guy is everywhere you look, still plays great and is quick to contribute his time to promote the game. Excellent in the booth and a nice guy too! I'll overlook you calling me bad luck John...lol I don't think there is one person on here who wouldn't vote for him... Well maybe one....lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
My opinion as a relative new poster here is we should for sure elect one of our own elder statesman as well as a past Pro if we are doing two as suggested. Joey Spaeth in the pro category. Mr Henderson certainly fits the bill as one of our own and is very deserving. Heck, that guy is everywhere you look, still plays great and is quick to contribute his time to promote the game. Excellent in the booth and a nice guy too! I'll overlook you calling me bad luck John...lol I don't think there is one person on here who wouldn't vote for him... Well maybe one....lol

Im looking forward to coming down there soon to take you up on your offer. I just cashed out my Bitcoin. In da meantime, it has always been my position that as far as old timers, they should be inducted by fiat. There has never been a chance for induction and for O.P.Org to be a recognized organized HOF, it is our obligation to include those deserving. BTW I am all for JT Hendy induction, category three, teacher, organizer, promoter. :cool:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I been partial to Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes since I saw him at the Stardust tournament that the Jansco's put on. He was tremendous for one pocket.

calibration

Verified Member
From
Clarkston, Michigan
i'd give eddie robin my vote..... is cornbread red in? probably, but from what i saw,one hell of a one pocket player and a good banker too...... what about vernon elliot--i played him a few times at genes pool room in banks, he could really play, and that was after he hadnt been playing much......rafael martinez should get in just from his creative shotmaking skills...... lots of qualified players here, all deserving of a vote.....and of course my old buddy beanie, but he's probably already in......

I actually have Cornbread's one pocket plaque.

cuesmith

Verified Member
Joey Spaeth would definitely be my choice for the One Pocket. He's been overlooked for too long! Bustemante would be my choice for Banks.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
My two cents

My two cents

One pocket

JJ meets the criteria, should be this years winner
Scott frost for next

Banks

Got to be Francisco

Action, longevity

I am going to add Keith mcready, monster in his day.
Steve booth
John Henderson.

This shouldn't be a popularity contest but about more about quality play and what they have given to the game. Just my two cents.

B

beatle

Verified Member
never heard of don but bananas is a legit choice at some point.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
One Pocket:

1. Scott Frost
2. Jeremy Jones
3. Gabe Owen

Bank Pool:

1. Francisco Bustamante

Pool In Action:

1. Johnny Ervolino
2. Bob Ogburn

This is my early list, I'll add more later

:)

Update:

I'd like to add someone who domitated one pocket for more than 30 years, in the 60's through the 80's my dates could be a little off but he was well known around that time, his name is Johnny Ervolino, I believe that he lived in New York city most of his life. I would put him ahead of Bob Ogburn in the "Pool In Action" category.

John

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Johnny Ervolino and Marcel Camp are very serious considerations. Despite the fact that Ervolino was one of the most fearsome 14.1 players, especially for big dough, he was also a top 1P player. He won two Stardust 1P tournaments, and some lesser events as well.

Freddy said in his "Gospool" book that when Cardone and Ervolino were both at the top of their games, that Bill gave Ervolino 9-8, and beat him. The Beard said that if Cardone gave Johnny 9-8, that meant he could give him 8-7. Freddy was known to occasionally exaggerate a story..;) Maybe Bill could tell us if there was any truth to that; and to assess Ervolino's 1P speed.

Marcel Camp was a feared 1P player, and very tough to beat. I never saw him play, but Freddy put Camp and Gene Skinner as equals of Fats, and that either guy usually beat Fats in 1P. He opined that it wasn't likely that Camp or Skinner would ever make the HOF because they weren't as widely known. Also, since there were few tournaments in those days, they wouldn't be known that way.

Of those two guys, I'd vote for Ervolino over Camp. But of course there's no reason that more that one historical player couldn't be inducted. It seems to me that Johnny Vives (first JC 1P winner) and/or Johnny "Irish" Lineen have been overlooked as well.

Of the current players, I'd still go with JJ. Frost could go next time. BTW, in future, JJ might be worth a thought for a good MC choice. He's articulate and has a sense of humor, and knows all the players from Jersey Red onward.

~Doc

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Johnny Ervolino and Marcel Camp are very serious considerations. Despite the fact that Ervolino was one of the most fearsome 14.1 players, especially for big dough, he was also a top 1P player. He won two Stardust 1P tournaments, and some lesser events as well.

Freddy said in his "Gospool" book that when Cardone and Ervolino were both at the top of their games, that Bill gave Ervolino 9-8, and beat him. The Beard said that if Cardone gave Johnny 9-8, that meant he could give him 8-7. Freddy was know to occasionally exaggerate a story..;) Maybe Bill could tell us if there was any truth to that; and to assess Ervolino's 1P speed.

Marcel Camp was a feared 1P player, and very tough to beat. I never saw him play, but Freddy put Camp and Gene Skinner as equals of Fats, and that either guy usually beat Fats in 1P. He opined that it wasn't likely that Camp or Skinner would ever make the HOF because they weren't as widely known. Also, since there were few tournaments in those days, they wouldn't be known that way.

Of those two guys, I'd vote for Ervolino over Camp. But of course there's no reason that more that one historical player couldn't be inducted. It seems to me that Johnny Vives (first JC 1P winner) and/or Johnny "Irish" Lineen have been overlooked as well.

Of the current players, I'd still go with JJ. Frost could go next time. BTW, in future, JJ might be worth a thought for a good MC choice. He's articulate and has a sense of humor, and knows all the players from Jersey Red onward.

~Doc

I agree with all of this.. I think Hacker is a big Ervolino fan too... Was he treacherous?? I heard things... So I'll vote for him twice...

beatle

Verified Member
johhny also was the biggest dumper on the east coast. he used all his admirers and friends and any acquaintances and stakes horses to dump them in games. or to borrow and stiff them. he had to leave the east coast as people there were about to do what he feared. so some of the scary ones sent him to vegas to work at caesars palace to pay them back. to put him in any hall of fame to me is disgusting.
his only claim to pool fame is he played really good.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Never met him, was a famous name when I started playing, about 60 years ago.

My vote for the old timers is still Marcel Camp.

i want to say again
i think its important to induct the old timers before their legacy is forgotten
i would vote for marcel camp also