Moderators Not Paying Attention TO THE GAME

sausage

Suspended
i'm really really sick of hearing pool moderators talk about everything but the game at hand and it's not just a few matches, more often than not the moderators are not paying attention... i'm currently watching Romero vs Rich and the moderators are driving me nuts. rarely do they comment on the match. they're talking to people in the chat about the GD RULES and going on and on about it. Rich sinks the game ball and then they finally comment about the game. even when they do comment on the game it's rife with "um's".... "ok, um, now, um and then um... well, um....." another HUGE problem for this sport is that the moderators keep dropping the "f bomb". Daniel at POV pool had Pepsi watching and thinking about sponsoring his streams. ah, but but moderator keep dropping the "F" word and so much for that.... if this game is to achieve popular notoriety, they MUST get moderators who actually are interested in the game and can speak well. Grady was a magnificent moderator but now he's gone. the only other moderator that i've heard that was close is Incardona. you can tell that he really loves the game. watching one pocket with both billy and grady commenting was a joy. it's maddening when the moderators are more of a distraction than an asset which is often the case.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Rich has commentated a few matches where the f bombs and the like are thrown around.

I like Daniel’s streams but professional and POV don’t go together well. I think this is one of the problems Bill has with POV doing the next stream for op.org

sausage

Suspended
yes, rich blew POV's pepsi sponsorship....i wish i were in Cali, i'd ask Daniel to moderate his streams. because of the lack of good moderators what they might be able to do is patch-in moderators from out of state who are watching online. the lag might make this impossible though..... another maddening thing is the moderators are breathing and coughing into the microphones or are talking to people in the chat without notifying the people watching to whom they are speaking.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
i'm really really sick of hearing pool moderators talk about everything but the game at hand and it's not just a few matches, more often than not the moderators are not paying attention... i'm currently watching Romero vs Rich and the moderators are driving me nuts. rarely do they comment on the match. they're talking to people in the chat about the GD RULES and going on and on about it. Rich sinks the game ball and then they finally comment about the game. even when they do comment on the game it's rife with "um's".... "ok, um, now, um and then um... well, um....." another HUGE problem for this sport is that the moderators keep dropping the "f bomb". Daniel at POV pool had Pepsi watching and thinking about sponsoring his streams. ah, but but moderator keep dropping the "F" word and so much for that.... if this game is to achieve popular notoriety, they MUST get moderators who actually are interested in the game and can speak well. Grady was a magnificent moderator but now he's gone. the only other moderator that i've heard that was close is Incardona. you can tell that he really loves the game. watching one pocket with both billy and grady commenting was a joy. it's maddening when the moderators are more of a distraction than an asset which is often the case.

Wait unti you have to listen to that Douche Bag that calls himsel Box. He’s the most rude condescending jerk who thinks he’s a gift to pool.

Maxwell

Verified Member
What issues POV has don't bother me much at all, it is a FREE stream. And they are much better than any other free stream I've heard in the last few years. The matches referenced in these posts are a few years old and POV has improved over time.

Others, even with the top commentators, annoy me more because I'm paying for them. And, when they can't keep score, don't know the game, belittle the game of one pocket because they don't understand it and babble on about unrelated garbage it pisses me f**king off plenty.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Rich was a bit crass but I enjoyed his commentary. He is knowledgeable and cares about the game.
But, If you guys think the commentary was all that deterred Pepsi from sponsoring our sport I'd say that's pretty naive.
Sure it didn't make pool look nice and shiny, but they're one of the most successful companies in the world. If they felt like putting money into then they'd find appropriate commentators. They just didn't see an opportunity, and I don't blame them in the slightest.

I do agree with you guys about the lack of quality commentators, though. It can really make or break the experience at times.
You can watch some of the most boring uptable/slow-shooting games and a good commentator like JJ or Dr. Bill can still hold your interest and teach you something.

That's why I was hoping all the work Cincy did on the discord app would really take off. There are voice chat rooms there. We could mute streams and listen to our own 1p.0 commentators. I wouldn't mind donating a couple bucks to have some pro who doesn't happen to be competing in the event we're watching step in there and commentate for us. Could be even cooler because it could be interactive. Ask questions and what not.
Oh well. It's nice to dream.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wait unti you have to listen to that Douche Bag that calls himsel Box. He’s the most rude condescending jerk who thinks he’s a gift to pool.

I don't know what your issue is with Box, but I don't agree with you at all, and he doesn't deserve being called names even if you don't respect his commentating, to put it mildly. Box has his own style for sure, but who doesn't? He knows the game too, as opposed to some of the commentators who flat out acknowledge they don't really play One Pocket at all. Plus Box loves the game of One Pocket and he also tries to promote it in his own way -- that means he is ON OUR TEAM, so lighten up. PS, you don't "have to listen" to anybody -- except maybe your wife (if you are married), lol, but certainly not anyone commentating on a stream.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
it's gotta be a tough job.

the prerequisites being knowledge and experience. mix in the ability to clearly and concisely communicate, self awareness and discipline to not come across as overbearing or critical, recognition of exponential nuances, concentration and stamina to do it for hours, speaking in a personable tone and cadence, etc. - all while everything is happening in real time.

hard to gripe about anything that is free - it's hit and miss.

as far as paid content, i really enjoy rabon. JJ is fantastic. billy is the standard which i think everyone is compared.

:)

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I don't know what your issue is with Box, but I don't agree with you at all, and he doesn't deserve being called names even if you don't respect his commentating, to put it mildly. Box has his own style for sure, but who doesn't? He knows the game too, as opposed to some of the commentators who flat out acknowledge they don't really play One Pocket at all. Plus Box loves the game of One Pocket and he also tries to promote it in his own way -- that means he is ON OUR TEAM, so lighten up. PS, you don't "have to listen" to anybody -- except maybe your wife (if you are married), lol, but certainly not anyone commentating on a stream.

Are you his father or his son?

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
BrooklandBilly 1P.org is a site for new players, mid levels players, and hall of famers to gather and share ideas. If you take the time to look around you will find a incredible amount of information. That said, what you will not find is disparaging or hateful remarks from any of the active members.

Please stick around and become a regular poster, your game and thinking will better for it.

Hardmix

Ps....NH Steve is neither the father or son of Box but he is the creator of 1P.org

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
yes, rich blew POV's pepsi sponsorship....i wish i were in Cali, i'd ask Daniel to moderate his streams. because of the lack of good moderators what they might be able to do is patch-in moderators from out of state who are watching online. the lag might make this impossible though..... another maddening thing is the moderators are breathing and coughing into the microphones or are talking to people in the chat without notifying the people watching to whom they are speaking.

Commentators are the guys who provide voice narrations. Moderators and those that moderate contents on forums and chats.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have done a fair amount of commentating and have been lucky enough to join Billy I and JJ on the stream. They are pros and make you look good. Sometimes the match itself can be brutally slow and nothing the best commentator can do can make it interesting.

The guys that are great are usually getting paid. Daniel, Geraldine and POV have been giving us free streams for almost six years and are always working to give us a better show. They will be streaming our next members tournament FOR FREE. Our own members will be handling quite a bit of the commentary and some will be good and some not so good. I hope the people that are critical can take a shot at it themselves and may appreciate the ones that do get in the box and give it a try.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Rich is my favorite one pocket commentator. If you censor him he won’t be my favorite commentator anymore. I respect the opinion of other though. Pool just isn’t big time, we really don’t need to be presentable. Things aren’t going to get better. This is just realism. Let’s just enjoy the few things we are allowed to like good, actually real commentary. If you don’t enjoy it like me, I understand and that’s fair, I just don’t think there’s any need to be presentable. Nobody is watching and nobody is going to watch.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

the prerequisites being knowledge and experience. mix in the ability to clearly and concisely communicate, self awareness and discipline to not come across as overbearing or critical, recognition of exponential nuances, concentration and stamina to do it for hours, speaking in a personable tone and cadence, etc. - all while everything is happening in real time.

as far as paid content, i really enjoy rabon. JJ is fantastic. billy is the standard which i think everyone is compared.

Right on, Dustin. Can't beat that trio. Also, Hendy is outstanding, and I've always enjoyed Tom, Doc (Art) and Jerry.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
BrooklandBilly 1P.org is a site for new players, mid levels players, and hall of famers to gather and share ideas. If you take the time to look around you will find a incredible amount of information. That said, what you will not find is disparaging or hateful remarks from any of the active members.

Please stick around and become a regular poster, your game and thinking will better for it.

Hardmix

Ps....NH Steve is neither the father or son of Box but he is the creator of 1P.org

Very well said Ben. I wanted to say something but hadn't figured out what or how.

Thanks.

sausage

Suspended

box is good, he loves the game and pays attention. his commentary is generally spot-on. i recall listening to him say: "he's taking the wrong shot." and guess what? Box was right. even if he misses a few calls it matters not. he's engaged with the game.

sausage

Suspended
Rich was a bit crass ...

it didn't bother me but he needs to realize that if he's commenting he needs to clean up his act.

I do agree with you guys about the lack of quality commentators, though. It can really make or break the experience at times.
You can watch some of the most boring uptable/slow-shooting games and a good commentator like JJ or Dr. Bill can still hold your interest and teach you something.

it would be better to not have commentators than to allow them to make the experience maddening. i don't want to turn down my volume because listening to the balls hit et is part of the game experience.

sausage

Suspended
I hope the people that are critical can take a shot at it themselves and may appreciate the ones that do get in the box and give it a try.

it's very easy... pay attention to the game. don't cough into the mic. don't breath into the mic. don't speak like a lowlife. Box is a good commentator. they should use him more often.

sausage

Suspended

i can deal with a lot of the unprofessionalism because they aren't pros but PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME. jesus, they are talking about everything under the sun BUT THE GAME. it's worse than no commentary at all.

keoneyo

Verified Member

Yeah... he's our father. He gave birth to us and he has the power to unbirth us. As my dad use to say.