Moderators Not Paying Attention TO THE GAME

keoneyo

Verified Member
One Pocket Rich is a great one pocket analyst. This was one of the few times he did commentating and he was paired up with someone who is not on his level. If he did commit some verbal errors is because he is not a professional. By profession he is a contractor and uses sentence construction to direct workers and laborers. I can tell you he is pristine in his work there. How do I know, he did work on my home.

With more experience I believe he couldve been one of the best. I tried to get him to do the 5 x 10 James Bosch affair that Hendy won but was not interested. As for him losing a Pepsi contract thats gossip and BS. Thats not what cost Pepsi to not get involved. It was the excuse.

What we need is more preparation to commentary. It shouldnt come off the cuff but with some analysis and research pre game. In pro sports there is an analyst, a color man, and a summarizer. I dont expect POV to compete with Network sports but some research to some facts would be helpful and make for some understanding of the game. Do a little fact finding. Who are the opponents. How old are they. Where do they play out of. Who are their mentors. What are their tournament wins. What are their cash games histories. Is he a shooter, a mover, a banker, etc. Most times pool commentators just come in winging it. Of course guys like JJ and Dr Bill already have that knowledge by experience but most need a more educated approach.

As far as people breathing into the mike thats what the engineer is there for. People are people. They breathe for a living. They cough because they are living. Some people have tics. Get over it. I know I make a living behind a mike. We rely on an engineer for those problems which can easily be resolved.
And I might add Daniel is one of the best in our racket as far as that is concerned.

El Chapo

Verified Member
One Pocket Rich is a great one pocket analyst. This was one of the few times he did commentating and he was paired up with someone who is not on his level. If he did commit some verbal errors is because he is not a professional. By profession he is a contractor and uses sentence construction to direct workers and laborers. I can tell you he is pristine in his work there. How do I know, he did work on my home.

With more experience I believe he couldve been one of the best. I tried to get him to do the 5 x 10 James Bosch affair that Hendy won but was not interested. As for him losing a Pepsi contract thats gossip and BS. Thats not what cost Pepsi to not get involved. It was the excuse.

What we need is more preparation to commentary. It shouldnt come off the cuff but with some analysis and research pre game. In pro sports there is an analyst, a color man, and a summarizer. I dont expect POV to compete with Network sports but some research to some facts would be helpful and make for some understanding of the game. Do a little fact finding. Who are the opponents. How old are they. Where do they play out of. Who are their mentors. What are their tournament wins. What are their cash games histories. Is he a shooter, a mover, a banker, etc. Most times pool commentators just come in winging it. Of course guys like JJ and Dr Bill already have that knowledge by experience but most need a more educated approach.

As far as people breathing into the mike thats what the engineer is there for. People are people. They breathe for a living. They cough because they are living. Some people have tics. Get over it. I know I make a living behind a mike. We rely on an engineer for those problems which can easily be resolved.
And I might add Daniel is one of the best in our racket as far as that is concerned.

Oh there’s no doubt at all if he was actually into commentary and passionate about it he’d be the best commentator of all time in one pocket. Please don’t take that as a shot at anybody else, but that’s where i put his skills as a commentator.

Here what rich has that nobody else has. and I have many commentators that I’m very fond of. Rich is not such a great ball striker. This is such a great great advantage to being a one pocket commentator, because of the audience. As a pool commentator your job is half insight and teaching. Great world class players do not realize what it’s like to be at the one pocket table and have the striking skills of an average player. I really believe this puts his analysis on another level... in other words, what he sees is what us as the audience need to see to play better one pocket. This is perhaps similar to insight on here and why the ghost is so popular, for good reason.

That’s my analysis of his one pocket analysis :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Here what rich has that nobody else has. and I have many commentators that I’m very fond of. Rich is not such a great ball striker. This is such a great great advantage to being a one pocket commentator, because of the audience. As a pool commentator your job is half insight and teaching. Great world class players do not realize what it’s like to be at the one pocket table and have the striking skills of an average player. I really believe this puts his analysis on another level... in other words, what he sees is what us as the audience need to see to play better one pocket. This is perhaps similar to insight on here and why the ghost is so popular, for good reason.

That’s my analysis of his one pocket analysis :)

Very good.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I have to say i agree with some of the criticism mentioned here. I think Daniel does a great service with his free streams however I find it very frustrating that the score is not posted properly a good part of the time and the announcers don't know what the score is a lot of the time. As far as Box goes, I personally don't like his analysis and usually will turn the volume down and just watch.

Daniel thanks again for your streams.. Keith

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
box is good, he loves the game and pays attention. his commentary is generally spot-on. i recall listening to him say: "he's taking the wrong shot." and guess what? Box was right. even if he misses a few calls it matters not. he's engaged with the game.

Box is OK. I completely agree Box loves one pocket for sure. He’s better than nothing but from the five or six matches I’ve listened to, spot on is not the term I’d use.

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
I see a lot of complaining and griping about pool streams, both free and PPV, here and especially on Facebook. And really its a shame. If its free people complain about the commentators, and if its PPV people complain about the price. It seems like if you're a streamer you can't win. Personally I'm grateful all these things exist as a resource to learn from and to grow the game.

When I started playing pool again a couple years back, after not playing for 10 years, I had really never played one pocket before. Some of the first one pocket I saw I discovered randomly on youtube - some POV matches of Efren playing Bobby Emmons. I got really interested in this game, watched more and more free videos, and discovered this wonderful site 1p.org. I agree with a previous poster, regardless of Rich's language on the Frost/Pagulayan match, there is no way on God's green earth Pepsi would start sponsoring one pocket, sorry but its the truth. If the score is not always right, or if the discussion is off topic, keep in mind Daniel and Geraldine have a lot to manage back there. And you are talking about a two person team working 12-15 hour days, after haven driven maybe twelve hours to the location they are streaming from. Considering all that, its easy to imagine the ball count is not always going to perfect. If you hear Daniel giving a shout out to those in the chat room, keep in mind those chat room folks are probably long time donators to POV (they are helping to contribute to the free stream you get), so why shouldn't they get a little extra love? Also Daniel promotes 1p.org all the time on his streams.

As to the poster who spoke poorly of Box, no need to be disrespectful. Box is a member on this site as well. His commentary is not always on the money, but he's not getting paid. And he throws in a lot of good color, about the crowd, the humidity in the room, a story about Cecil Tugwell, surely there is time for all that stuff in an up table game. Anyhow, I believe Box and POV parted ways as far as commentary.

If you want JJ in the booth and a spot on ball count, the fact is you gotta pay that money. Ray (PoolActionTV) is able to provide 3 camera angles, pro commentators, and up to date stats because he charges.

In the end whether it's donation based or PPV, none of these guys, POV, Lenny, Ray are getting rich in this business. Keeping up to date with video and computer equipment is expensive and un-ending (I know, I'm a photographer). They are all doing it because they have a passion for the game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I see a lot of complaining and griping about pool streams, both free and PPV, here and especially on Facebook. And really its a shame. If its free people complain about the commentators, and if its PPV people complain about the price. It seems like if you're a streamer you can't win. Personally I'm grateful all these things exist as a resource to learn from and to grow the game.

When I started playing pool again a couple years back, after not playing for 10 years, I had really never played one pocket before. Some of the first one pocket I saw I discovered randomly on youtube - some POV matches of Efren playing Bobby Emmons. I got really interested in this game, watched more and more free videos, and discovered this wonderful site 1p.org. I agree with a previous poster, regardless of Rich's language on the Frost/Pagulayan match, there is no way on God's green earth Pepsi would start sponsoring one pocket, sorry but its the truth. If the score is not always right, or if the discussion is off topic, keep in mind Daniel and Geraldine have a lot to manage back there. And you are talking about a two person team working 12-15 hour days, after haven driven maybe twelve hours to the location they are streaming from. Considering all that, its easy to imagine the ball count is not always going to perfect. If you hear Daniel giving a shout out to those in the chat room, keep in mind those chat room folks are probably long time donators to POV (they are helping to contribute to the free stream you get), so why shouldn't they get a little extra love? Also Daniel promotes 1p.org all the time on his streams.

As to the poster who spoke poorly of Box, no need to be disrespectful. Box is a member on this site as well. His commentary is not always on the money, but he's not getting paid. And he throws in a lot of good color, about the crowd, the humidity in the room, a story about Cecil Tugwell, surely there is time for all that stuff in an up table game. Anyhow, I believe Box and POV parted ways as far as commentary.

If you want JJ in the booth and a spot on ball count, the fact is you gotta pay that money. Ray (PoolActionTV) is able to provide 3 camera angles, pro commentators, and up to date stats because he charges.

In the end whether it's donation based or PPV, none of these guys, POV, Lenny, Ray are getting rich in this business. Keeping up to date with video and computer equipment is expensive and un-ending (I know, I'm a photographer). They are all doing it because they have a passion for the game.

Very good.

Come around more often. :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
[CUETABLE][/CUETABLE]

Great post.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Me too, great post!!!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There does seem to be a broad internet tendency for people to think "everything on the internet should be free for me to see -- and to download" lol. The hardworking few "content originators" are the ones that pay the most for that -- they invest in the equipment and creativity and time and often travel and incidental expenses to create some content, and despite the fact that it is free, there is lots of bitching and moaning, and people steal content to their heart's content. To a degree, it is simply the way of the internet -- not just pool of course. I don't like the content stealing either, but as for onepocket.org's role, I try to suck it up and look at it from the point of view that at least One Pocket is growing more legs because of it -- including in other parts of the world -- because I can't really stop it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There does seem to be a broad internet tendency for people to think "everything on the internet should be free for me to see -- and to download" lol. The hardworking few "content originators" are the ones that pay the most for that -- they invest in the equipment and creativity and time and often travel and incidental expenses to create some content, and despite the fact that it is free, there is lots of bitching and moaning, and people steal content to their heart's content. To a degree, it is simply the way of the internet -- not just pool of course. I don't like the content stealing either, but as for onepocket.org's role, I try to suck it up and look at it from the point of view that at least One Pocket is growing more legs because of it -- including in other parts of the world -- because I can't really stop it.

One pocket is growing rapidly. I remember when I first started flying I didn’t know 1P at all and it was played in very few rooms I visited. Now it’s played everywhere. More and more 9 ballers are playing it because it’s easier to get action in 1P and I think handicapping is also easier. Even when I’m way over my head I can make my money last longer:heh

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'll just add my 4 cents...

#1. I also think it's way out of line to complain at all re. commentators etc. when it's a free stream that you're watching - as in P.O.V. streams....if it's a stream that you're paying for, that's a different story.

#2. Re. One Pocket Rich (who is a friend of mine also, and we've had some good conversations about the game of One Pocket), I'm also in the camp of feeling that Rich does excellent commentary...and whether it's considered professional or not, just speaking for myself, I loved it :heh :D when Rich was throwing in a few F-bombs - it was funny as hell - and REAL.

- Ghost

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll just add my 4 cents...

#1. I also think it's way out of line to complain at all re. commentators etc. when it's a free stream that you're watching - as in P.O.V. streams....if it's a stream that you're paying for, that's a different story.

#2. Re. One Pocket Rich (who is a friend of mine also, and we've had some good conversations about the game of One Pocket), I'm also in the camp of feeling that Rich does excellent commentary...and whether it's considered professional or not, just speaking for myself, I loved it :heh :D when Rich was throwing in a few F-bombs - it was funny as hell - and REAL.

- Ghost

I'm with you on all that Bruce. :cool:

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
One of the absolute worst threads I've seen on here in the 14 months I've been reading in terms of lack of respect. So glad to see that all but one or 2 agree with what I've been thinking as I read through it. If you don't like what you're hearing turn the volume down - if you feel you're being overcharged for a free stream stop watching it. I have watched the same matches over & over on youtube JUST to hear Billy, Scott Frost, and Corey commentate on it, but that doesn't mean I don't value the opportunity to watch other matches & hear other peoples perspective.

The fact that someone would disparage the work someone is giving FREELY is beyond belief to me. You don't like how it's done? Man up & put some money on the table to do it yourself. I'll watch - may not pay for it since I buy Ray's stream annually, but I certainly appreciate all the free stuff & try to catch some of it most weekends.

Oh and Ghost - I owe you a beer/soda at Derby for how I left things with you in Chicago this summer. Sorry I lost my head.

John

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I see no problem with commentators adding a bit of color and occasionally going off on a tangent. And the F bombs are always a nice touch. :heh

sausage

Suspended
One of the absolute worst threads I've seen on here in the 14 months I've been reading in terms of lack of respect.

John

That's because you missed the point. they often aren't paying attention to the game. they are there to make it more interesting and to hopefully expand the game to "the masses". that's not going to happen the way it's going...

Last edited:

sausage

Suspended
I see no problem with commentators adding a bit of color and occasionally going off on a tangent. And the F bombs are always a nice touch. :heh

some of the stories are interesting especially incardonas story about playing reyes for the first time but it wasn't at the expense of the game.

f-bombs bother me not but a lot of people were complaining in the chat which had a lot of viewers. again, you aren't going to do anything to expand the sport like this.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
No matter your particular skill level, it's always more fun/informative/interesting to watch one pocket matches played with full sound effects on and great commentary... Listening to two very knowledgable commentators who get along well with each other and have that wonderful ability to express themselves without taking away from the game or the other person is a sheer delight.. Grady Mathews and Bill Incardona come to mind as a favorite duo of mine... Perfect combination of color, commentary, & kibitzing...

JJ has that quick eye and a wealth of knowledge about the game and is able to verbalize several options instantly... He's already very good at commentary, and will get better if he teams up with a Grady type individual...

Free streams are wonderful, and I watch them all the time... I'm grateful they are available and I hope the operators are making something for there time, effort, and expense... Far be it for me to lodge any type of complaint about anything that they give me for free...

keoneyo

Verified Member
If you care about someone or something constructive criticism is relevant. Geraldine Thibodeau, who is Daniels partner, has been kind to be open about this sharing opinions with me.

I am thankful to POV and have donated some small amounts here and there. But I want to see it improve and be better.
It can only be better by dealing with flaws and resolving them.
I think thats what we all try to do by participating in WWYD's.
I wish Daniel and Geraldine the best. They are doing a great job.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
For me all I ask is that the commentator keeps up with the game, if it gets slow, a big wedge, for example, throw in a story or two. Also please try to keep the score current. I would think that the person doing the stream gives some type of heads up to his commentators as to what to do. I do enjoy hearing opinions since I feel that the game presents more options than most other games.