REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I also spoke to Mike's brother recently, and I emailed him today. Somebody shared a link of a man in Georgia found with an anchor tied to him in the bottom of a lake. And it sure did look like this perp.
Interesting find, Miss JAM! I don't believe that's "Cooper", but the DNA would be able to determine it. This sounds like a suicide, and if so, Mike's perp would not be the type. Knowing "lake man's" age would help too. "Cooper" would at the very least be in his later 50s now. Presumably the new detective has been alerted so as to compare DNAs.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
This crime doesn’t pass the smell test. Why would you invite to your a stranger you met at a pool hall? There are some missing pieces that lead to a lot of speculation. Not that I haven’t befriended people I’ve played pool with and eventually socialized with and/or represented in legal matters. But give a stranger I just met a ride or take to my home. Pure insanity.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This crime doesn’t pass the smell test. Why would you invite to your a stranger you met at a pool hall? There are some missing pieces that lead to a lot of speculation. Not that I haven’t befriended people I’ve played pool with and eventually socialized with and/or represented in legal matters. But give a stranger I just met a ride or take to my home. Pure insanity.
As I recall, Mike had to exchange vehicles. So he had "Cooper" follow him to a friend's house to exchange his pickup for his sedan. They then went to Mike's to drop off his car. That's evidently when Mike let him in his home.

Mike didn't know the guy from Adam, nor did any of us. We thought it was very uncharacteristic of Mike to agree to show this guy around. But I think Mike was impressed by the fact that the guy claimed to own a recording studio in Atlanta, and was down here scouting locations for a satellite studio. They even stopped by Mike's attorney's office so the guy could get advice on the local laws, etc. He wasn't in the office, so they chatted with the secretary, then went on. Sadly and horrifically Mike simply let down his defenses to the wrong guy.

Rospaw1966

As I recall, Mike had to exchange vehicles. So he had "Cooper" follow him to a friend's house to exchange his pickup for his sedan. They then went to Mike's to drop off his car. That's evidently when Mike let him in his home.

Mike didn't know the guy from Adam, nor did any of us. We thought it was very uncharacteristic of Mike to agree to show this guy around. But I think Mike was impressed by the fact that the guy claimed to own a recording studio in Atlanta, and was down here scouting locations for a satellite studio. They even stopped by Mike's attorney's office so the guy could get advice on the local laws, etc. He wasn't in the office, so they chatted with the secretary, then went on. Sadly and horrifically Mike simply let down his defenses to the wrong guy.
Gulfport (or anyone that might know), Do we know if the person that was pictured on the FBI website was a pool shooter aka a pretty good player or? If so was his game 1p or ? Second do we know if the Atla connection was real or is not known to be? I'm in the N Alta area in many of the larger pool halls and in a few of the smaller ones. Also in a few Chatt TN halls.
The picture of the guy walking out in the blue shirt ... He appears taller than 5'11 to me or long torso /short legged. Could be wrong.
Last thing ... I know it's been 12 plus years but has the family approached a person/company that can clean up the photos? I lot of technology has improved in the dozen years and i think that field has. S

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Gulfport (or anyone that might know), Do we know if the person that was pictured on the FBI website was a pool shooter aka a pretty good player or? If so was his game 1p or ? Second do we know if the Atla connection was real or is not known to be? I'm in the N Alta area in many of the larger pool halls and in a few of the smaller ones. Also in a few Chatt TN halls.
The picture of the guy walking out in the blue shirt ... He appears taller than 5'11 to me or long torso /short legged. Could be wrong.
Last thing ... I know it's been 12 plus years but has the family approached a person/company that can clean up the photos? I lot of technology has improved in the dozen years and i think that field has. S
The perp was only a casual shooter, probably mostly barboxes, and likely frequented pool rooms or taverns simply looking for victims. He had a very unusual stance for a man. He kept both feet together and leaned over from his waist. In the videos you can see him playing some other guy who was also little and a bit tubby.

He stole Mr. Cooper's credit card in the Atlanta area, but he was probably just passing through. He did pose as a recording studio engineer, but that was a ruse. He didn't have a southern accent.

If you see the video, the guy's head was at about the same height as the lettering on the front door. I measured the height of that, which was 5'6". So from what I recall of him in person, plus that measurement, I'd put his height at about 5'8", plus or minus.

Yes, everyone wanted the images cleaned up. And both the local police and then the FBI cleaned up the surveillance tape as much as they could. But unfortunately the surveillance tape was very slow, and poor quality. I don't suppose something can be improved that wasn't there.

The FBI has not dropped its investigation, but after 11-12 years the likelihood of getting the guy is very slim. I suspect that the guy is either dead or in prison. They have his DNA, but not all states participate in the data base.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Mike Surber's brother, Steve, has put up a $10,000 reward for info leading to info & arrest of Mike's murderer.

We have also opened a "Go Fund Me" account for donations to add to the reward. We are hoping that folks who can spare a few bucks will sweeten the pot so as to re-kindle and sharpen interest in the apprehension of this suspect. The account is:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-find-...m_89_2&rcid=r01-151249854321-634f1936b01f47b2

Steve has also put up a PayPal account for reward donations: https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/7ZRWK4xBkh

If the URLs don't link, please copy/paste them into your browser.

In addition the FBI "Seeking Information" page, which also includes a poster for download, is:
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

There is also a Face Book page started by Ray Hansen called "Catch a Killer":
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514573228867676/

Thanks to JAM and my wife for their involvement in this cause which is dear to us all.

~Doc
See my suggestion at AZ Billiards with regards to cold case investigations.

Stanton Fountain

I just talked to the OSPD detective assigned to Mike's case. He is determined to catch Mike's killer and believes he will. The investigation is active. He is playing his cards very close to his vest, but that is exactly what we (and Mike) would expect of a good cop. To put it in terms y'all can appreciate, this is grind it out 1P, not a 9B race. Think positive thoughts and say some prayers for Mike's family and the cop and a visitation by divine karma.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just talked to the OSPD detective assigned to Mike's case. He is determined to catch Mike's killer and believes he will. The investigation is active. He is playing his cards very close to his vest, but that is exactly what we (and Mike) would expect of a good cop. To put it in terms y'all can appreciate, this is grind it out 1P, not a 9B race. Think positive thoughts and say some prayers for Mike's family and the cop and a visitation by divine karma.
Hey Stanton! Long time, no see! It's reassuring to hear of the detective's determination.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just spoke with Steve Surber, Mike Surber's brother. There has been a new FBI agent working on the case, and he appears to be very determined. Due to the DNA of the murderer, they've got scores or hundreds of leads, which they are systematically investigating. Also the Ocean Springs PD is still diligently working on the case. Next month there will be a special news story on Mike's case on a local TV channel, WLOX.

So it's good to hear that the case is still wide open and being actively pursued!

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just spoke with Steve Surber, Mike Surber's brother. There has been a new FBI agent working on the case, and he appears to be very determined. Due to the DNA of the murderer, they've got scores or hundreds of leads, which they are systematically investigating. Also the Ocean Springs PD is still diligently working on the case. Next month there will be a special news story on Mike's case on a local TV channel, WLOX.

So it's good to hear that the case is still wide open and being actively pursued!

~Doc
That is great to hear! A lot of cold cases get breakthroughs from the improvement in DNA technology.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas

~Doc
I’d like to see the case investigated on the TV series ‘Cold Jusice’. Kelly Siegler did a great job as a prosecutor in Harris County prior to appearing on Cold Justice. Besides her ability to breakdown cold cases it would give the case national exposure. Just a thought.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I’d like to see the case investigated on the TV series ‘Cold Jusice’. Kelly Siegler did a great job as a prosecutor in Harris County prior to appearing on Cold Justice. Besides her ability to breakdown cold cases it would give the case national exposure. Just a thought.
That would be good. It was previously highlighted in a segment of "America's Most Wanted". The single biggest problem with tracking down this POS is that there was only a very poor picture of the guy taken from a very inferior security camera.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I did an interview for a piece their doing on Mike's murder on WLOX-TV in Biloxi, Miss. Reportedly it will air on June 8 at 4 P.M., CST. Probably can access the channel via internet.

AND-- the interviewer told me that she interviewed the detective from the Ocean Springs PD, and she distinctly got the impression from his remarks that they are close to solving the case! The detective can't give details, but judging by the WLOX interview, there's a case for encouragement!

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I did an interview for a piece their doing on Mike's murder on WLOX-TV in Biloxi, Miss. Reportedly it will air on June 8 at 4 P.M., CST. Probably can access the channel via internet.

AND-- the interviewer told me that she interviewed the detective from the Ocean Springs PD, and she distinctly got the impression from his remarks that they are close to solving the case! The detective can't give details, but judging by the WLOX interview, there's a case for encouragement!
Based on his suspected age in 2009 this guy is now between between 69 and 79 today. There a good possibility that the suspect is deceased. Did they give any indication that is the case?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Based on his suspected age in 2009 this guy is now between between 69 and 79 today. There a good possibility that the suspect is deceased. Did they give any indication that is the case?
"Cooper" was probably mid-40s at that time. So he'd be roughly 60 now. I've certainly thought that he could be dead, but not because of his age. A crime of that severity was not his first rodeo, so he'd be in the position --whether in jail or not-- to have been killed.

There's no indication that he could be dead because they don't know who it is.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here is the link to a feature about Mike's murder case on local TV channel WLOX which aired today. You'll be able to pick out Jason (1holenut) and me. There is also commentary from Mike's brother Steve, and the owner of Skeeter's at the time of the murder, Ricky Dombrowski.