Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Howdy All;

    Which way ya kickin' at the 1? I see 2 ways to do that, off the top Left side rail which,
    apparently, is the the choice de'jour or off the Right side rail?
    Gotta ask.

    hank
    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by hankh View Post
      Howdy All;

      Which way ya kickin' at the 1? I see 2 ways to do that, off the top Left side rail which,
      apparently, is the the choice de'jour or off the Right side rail?
      Gotta ask.

      hank
      Right side is dangerous because of the kiss (or double kiss as most say) and harder to do.
      Rod.

      Rodney Stephens.
      (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
        Cory and Renegade, I think the point Dr. Bill was making on the 1 kick is that if you kick into the 1, the CB is going to end up on the left side of the 1 (looking at the photo). Therefore your opponent is going to be able to see the whole 4 ball, allowing him to escape easily and bank the 4 to the bottom rail and follow the CB down to the end rail putting you back to a similar position.

        Whereas, if you move the 4 a touch to the right thinning it and going up table with the CB and now block him from seeing the 4, he is going to have to look for an alternative escape route which will not be as easy to execute.

        icbw but that's what I got from it..
        Thats exactly the way I see it, but you should try to protect the 4ball and the 13ball. Yku do this by softly brushing the 4ball and go to the side rail not allowing your opponent to see either ball.

        Dr. Ball

        Comment


        • #19
          androd, Howdy;

          Originally posted by androd View Post
          Right side is dangerous because of the kiss (or double kiss as most say) and harder to do.
          Ok, it may be "harder to do" but don't we learn more by accepting the challenge
          of a harder shot? $'s wern't mentioned so why not attempt it or even kicking
          into the 3 ball from the Right side?
          Being curious and trying to learn here.
          Thanks.

          hank
          Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by hankh View Post
            androd, Howdy;



            Ok, it may be "harder to do" but don't we learn more by accepting the challenge
            of a harder shot? $'s wern't mentioned so why not attempt it or even kicking
            into the 3 ball from the Right side
            ?
            Being curious and trying to learn here.
            Thanks.

            hank
            Hey Hank, glad to see you are picking people''s brains thats a great way to learn! Here is my take for you and hope it helps.

            One thing you should notice before leaving the CB up table is that the 6 and 15 can both be cut and made in his hole unless you get the CB over to the left side of the table. Anything outside of that upper left hand quadrant puts you in a danger zone when your opponent gets to the table, he could make one of those balls and get quite a few, they all go in his hole.

            So, knowing you have to have the CB over to the left, that eliminates the "kicking to the 3 ball" shot.

            Now, to kick to that upper left quadrant you can go from the left or right.

            From the right that 6 ball and 15 are both pretty big balls. It's going to be hard for you to kick into the 1 or to that area without hitting one of those balls. Hit one of those balls and you may lose quite a few from there. Unless you are purposely intending on taking a foul and you kick from the right to the long rail, then head rail to the right of the 1 and then play a speed that rests in that upper left area.

            From the left there are 0 balls in your way. An intentional is ok but you do have a good chance to make a legal hit and drive the 1 to the short rail and snuggle up to it.

            However, as pointed out later thinning the 4 would be better because you hide it from your opponent being able to play a safety off it.

            Hope that made sense!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Cory in dc View Post
              Soft kick on the 1-ball for sure! Good reward and simple execution.
              that's what i'd shoot. i wouldn't worry at all about my opponent crossing the 4ball because he's going to have to hit it pretty hard, frozen to rail and will likely leave an easy return at 'my' pocket. kick slowly into that 1ball with hopes of freezing on it.
              Last edited by sausage; 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by povpool View Post
                I'm crossing the 3 to place the cueball at the top rail underneath the 2 ball.
                daniel: there is no reason to give your opponent numerous shot options especially when you can one-rail roll-up on the 1ball.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by hankh View Post
                  Howdy All;

                  Which way ya kickin' at the 1? I see 2 ways to do that, off the top Left side rail which,
                  apparently, is the the choice de'jour or off the Right side rail?
                  Gotta ask.

                  hank
                  if you come off the right side rail you are hitting the 1 on the left which migh bump it into a makeable shot to his hole for him
                  if you are planning to go right side rail left side rail and go a little long you scratch
                  jmho

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    cincy_kid, Howdy;

                    Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                    Hey Hank, glad to see you are picking people''s brains thats a great way to learn! Here is my take for you and hope it helps.

                    One thing you should notice before leaving the CB up table is that the 6 and 15 can both be cut and made in his hole unless you get the CB over to the left side of the table. Anything outside of that upper left hand quadrant puts you in a danger zone when your opponent gets to the table, he could make one of those balls and get quite a few, they all go in his hole.

                    So, knowing you have to have the CB over to the left, that eliminates the "kicking to the 3 ball" shot.

                    Now, to kick to that upper left quadrant you can go from the left or right.

                    From the right that 6 ball and 15 are both pretty big balls. It's going to be hard for you to kick into the 1 or to that area without hitting one of those balls. Hit one of those balls and you may lose quite a few from there. Unless you are purposely intending on taking a foul and you kick from the right to the long rail, then head rail to the right of the 1 and then play a speed that rests in that upper left area.

                    From the left there are 0 balls in your way. An intentional is ok but you do have a good chance to make a legal hit and drive the 1 to the short rail and snuggle up to it.

                    However, as pointed out later thinning the 4 would be better because you hide it from your opponent being able to play a safety off it.

                    Hope that made sense!
                    Yep that makes sense to me. However, ... there's always a however isn't there .

                    Even if the thinning on the 4 were successful there are still the 6/15 and the 7
                    that could also be used for the same Safety, yes/no ?

                    Thanks for thoughts and insights.

                    hank
                    Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by hankh View Post
                      cincy_kid, Howdy;



                      Yep that makes sense to me. However, ... there's always a however isn't there .

                      Even if the thinning on the 4 were successful there are still the 6/15 and the 7
                      that could also be used for the same Safety, yes/no ?

                      Thanks for thoughts and insights.

                      hank
                      Ed Zachery lite.
                      Rod.

                      Rodney Stephens.
                      (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Cory in dc View Post
                        Soft kick on the 1-ball for sure! Good reward and simple execution.

                        I don't see a way to bank the 3 without selling out a return shot on at least one of the 6, 15, 7, or 4. Unless I make the 3, of course, but even then the next shot won't be trivial.


                        I agree with all the above points!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by hankh View Post
                          cincy_kid, Howdy;



                          Yep that makes sense to me. However, ... there's always a however isn't there .

                          Even if the thinning on the 4 were successful there are still the 6/15 and the 7
                          that could also be used for the same Safety, yes/no ?

                          Thanks for thoughts and insights.

                          hank
                          True, but most players will want to remove or take out the ball that you have closest to your pocket. So although they may be able to come off the 6, 15 or 7 in a similar fashion, you will still be "protecting" that 4 ball which is the closest one to your hole and the one that you will have the best chance of pocketing if he should mess up.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

                            Originally posted by hankh View Post
                            androd, Howdy;







                            Ok, it may be "harder to do" but don't we learn more by accepting the challenge

                            of a harder shot? $'s wern't mentioned so why not attempt it or even kicking

                            into the 3 ball from the Right side?

                            Being curious and trying to learn here.

                            Thanks.



                            hank


                            I’ve only been playing a lot of OP for the last couple years, so I still have moments of trying to do too much. Best advice I could ever give you is to pay close attention to how difficult you choose to make things. Higher degree of difficulty naturally means you will mess up more. It’s mistakes that usually cost me games, NOT my opponent earning it. So the advice is the same that I try to tell myself: KISS=Keep It Simple, Stupid.
                            Last edited by youngstownkid; 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              androd, Howdy;

                              Originally posted by androd View Post
                              Ed Zachery lite.
                              Without me knowing who Mr. Ed Zachery is the comment is lost to me...

                              hank
                              Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                cincy_kid, Howdy;

                                Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                                True, but most players will want to remove or take out the ball that you have closest to your pocket. So although they may be able to come off the 6, 15 or 7 in a similar fashion, you will still be "protecting" that 4 ball which is the closest one to your hole and the one that you will have the best chance of pocketing if he should mess up.
                                Thanks for the insight, the extra info helps with understanding.

                                Thanks for taking the time to to help me learn this game.

                                hank
                                Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X