Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

    You are the bottom right where the CB is and you need 4... WWYD?




    MM

  • #2
    Originally posted by youngstownkid View Post
    You are the bottom right where the CB is and you need 4... WWYD?




    MM
    Aggressive - bank the 3.....mover - thin the 4 or kick the 1...

    Bailiff, call in the next case...
    Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM.
    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

    Comment


    • #3
      Kick softly at the 1 ball (or is it the 5?).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
        Aggressive - bank the 3.....mover - thin the 8 or kick the 1...

        Bailiff, call in the next case...
        Soft kick on the 1-ball for sure! Good reward and simple execution.

        I don't see a way to bank the 3 without selling out a return shot on at least one of the 6, 15, 7, or 4. Unless I make the 3, of course, but even then the next shot won't be trivial.
        "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

        Comment


        • #5
          Since I have the lead here, I am sending balls up table by shooting the 4 into the 7 and putting my cb on his side rail by his pocket.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
            Since I have the lead here, I am sending balls up table by shooting the 4 into the 7 and putting my cb on his side rail by his pocket.
            that's my shot too before looking at replies.

            Now that I see Ghost's kick at the 1, I like it as well, ns ghost ~

            Comment


            • #7
              The kick to the 1ball is only good if you can hide at least half of the 4ball. If you allow your opponent to see the 4ball where all he needs to do is shoot it to the bottom rail then the kick is useless. Understanding this choosing the 4ball by brushing it softly enough to not move it much and send the cue ball to the side rail and hiding and protecting the 4ball and 13ball will be the better choice.

              You have the better position by far, playing an up table game from here is not correct providing you have a 100% safe shot that will force your opponent to come back with a defensive move where he could make a mistake, would be correct.

              As a rule of thumb, never give up the stronger position if you have a free safe shot that will force your opponent to answer with a defensive shot, you never know what he might do to enhance your chances of winning.

              Dr. Bill

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                The kick to the 1ball is only good if you can hide at least half of the 4ball. If you allow your opponent to see the 4ball where all he needs to do is shoot it to the bottom rail then the kick is useless. Understanding this choosing the 4ball by brushing it softly enough to not move it much and send the cue ball to the side rail and hiding and protecting the 4ball and 13ball will be the better choice.

                You have the better position by far, playing an up table game from here is not correct providing you have a 100% safe shot that will force your opponent to come back with a defensive move where he could make a mistake, would be correct.

                As a rule of thumb, never give up the stronger position if you have a free safe shot that will force your opponent to answer with a defensive shot, you never know what he might do to enhance your chances of winning.

                Dr. Bill

                Absolutely, and your reasoning is flawless. You are definitely on a roll today, Dr. Bill.
                The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                  The kick to the 1ball is only good if you can hide at least half of the 4ball. If you allow your opponent to see the 4ball where all he needs to do is shoot it to the bottom rail then the kick is useless. Understanding this choosing the 4ball by brushing it softly enough to not move it much and send the cue ball to the side rail and hiding and protecting the 4ball and 13ball will be the better choice.

                  You have the better position by far, playing an up table game from here is not correct providing you have a 100% safe shot that will force your opponent to come back with a defensive move where he could make a mistake, would be correct.

                  As a rule of thumb, never give up the stronger position if you have a free safe shot that will force your opponent to answer with a defensive shot, you never know what he might do to enhance your chances of winning.


                  Dr. Bill
                  Well worth the price of admission, thanks again Dr. Bill for another great nugget!

                  (I think this came up in another thread a while back but I always try to play the ball count so if I need a few and they need more than me, I am pushing stuff up table automatically. Now, I am going to reconsider my position when the current lay of the balls is in my favor and first see if I have an easy safe shot that could cause my opponent to mess up ...I really didn't look to hard for these options in the past but I will now!)
                  Last edited by cincy_kid; 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Putting my opponent on the bottom rail off the 4 into 7 with a nice little draw stroke is best for me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm crossing the 3 to place the cueball at the top rail underneath the 2 ball.
                      - Daniel
                      'Upgrade Your Sweat!' with POV Pool 'Premium'

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        WWYD, Bottom Right, Need 4

                        These mid game situations are where I need the most work - when there isn’t a clear easy choice. Thanks for all your responses. Dr Bill, always a pleasure picking your brain!


                        MM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                          The kick to the 1ball is only good if you can hide at least half of the 4ball. If you allow your opponent to see the 4ball where all he needs to do is shoot it to the bottom rail then the kick is useless. (SNIP)

                          Dr. Bill
                          I don't quite follow. You mean the opponent, if he can see half or more of the 4, would counter by hitting the 4 to the bottom rail, or that the opponent would bank the 4 and roll the cueball to the bottom rail?

                          If my opponent wants to put the 4 on the bottom rail closer to my hole, I'm happy. If he banks the 4 to my side, I'm happy. If he banks the 4 uptable, I'm happy. On the other hand, hitting the 4 super thin takes a lot more touch than kicking into the 1, though I agree that the outcome if successful is even better.
                          "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm slow kicking into the one. If he has the kahoneys to cross bank that 4 ball I'd love for him to.
                            Renegade

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cory and Renegade, I think the point Dr. Bill was making on the 1 kick is that if you kick into the 1, the CB is going to end up on the left side of the 1 (looking at the photo). Therefore your opponent is going to be able to see the whole 4 ball, allowing him to escape easily and bank the 4 to the bottom rail and follow the CB down to the end rail putting you back to a similar position.

                              Whereas, if you move the 4 a touch to the right thinning it and going up table with the CB and now block him from seeing the 4, he is going to have to look for an alternative escape route which will not be as easy to execute.

                              icbw but that's what I got from it..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X