"Crying Sam"?

piglit

Rockinthe40ounce said:
Sam trivetts son Robbie is my dad

I have met your Dad on a few occasions. Always seemed like a good fellow, hope all is good with your family, your Dad must've had to be a man early.

Rockinthe40ounce

piglit said:
I have met your Dad on a few occasions. Always seemed like a good fellow, hope all is good with your family, your Dad must've had to be a man early.

how old was he when you met him? and whats your name, ill ask if he remembers you. He did kinda have to grow up at an early age. he said sam was rarely there but when he was he was always throwing out money and the nicest guy in the world.

piglit

Your Dad would not know me. I wouldn't know him either if we were next to each other, I only recall meeting him when he came to the Pool Room to see Sam, not what he looked like.

You can certainly tell him I wish him and his family the best. Sam brought quite a few smiles to quite a few folks.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Cryin' Sam was around L.A. in the mid to late 60's. I was always hearing about him playing here and there. My buddy Gary Pinkowski was on the road and when our paths crossed, he asked me to find him some action. I took him around and eventually we made our way to downtown L.A. and Fourth & Main, the big room down there.

Pretty soon we were hooked up in a One Pocket game with Sam. He didn't do much cryin', but sure did a lot of shooting. We got lucky when Gary made a couple of miracle outs and Sam quit us even. He must have been in his mid 50's then, so I think the earlier estimate of his age is slightly off. I did hear that his game had slipped some by then.

He looked a lot like an old movie actor, whose name I can't remember now. Sam must have been a handsome man when he was younger. He was fairly tall (about 6'2" or 3"), with big hands. And a nice shock of gray/white hair.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jay helfert said:
Cryin' Sam was around L.A. in the mid to late 60's. I was always hearing about him playing here and there. My buddy Gary Pinkowski was on the road and when our paths crossed, he asked me to find him some action. I took him around and eventually we made our way to downtown L.A. and Fourth & Main, the big room down there.

Pretty soon we were hooked up in a One Pocket game with Sam. He didn't do much cryin', but sure did a lot of shooting. We got lucky when Gary made a couple of miracle outs and Sam quit us even. He must have been in his mid 50's then, so I think the earlier estimate of his age is slightly off. I did hear that his game had slipped some by then.

He looked a lot like an old movie actor, whose name I can't remember now. Sam must have been a handsome man when he was younger. He was fairly tall (about 6'2" or 3"), with big hands. And a nice shock of gray/white hair.
There was Sam Crotzer, who was an early very close friend and traveling companion of Eddie Taylor. Taylor stayed primarily east, and Sam relocated to CA around the time you are talking about. He was known as Okie Sam out in CA, Nashville Sam back east, and looked enough like Robert Ryan to be his double.

Then there was Sam Trivett, Seattle Sam. Was 'Cryin' Sam' one of those two, or someone else entirely?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Crying Sam Crotzer

Crying Sam Crotzer

NH Steve said:
There was Sam Crotzer, who was an early very close friend and traveling companion of Eddie Taylor. Taylor stayed primarily east, and Sam relocated to CA around the time you are talking about. He was known as Okie Sam out in CA, Nashville Sam back east, and looked enough like Robert Ryan to be his double.

Then there was Sam Trivett, Seattle Sam. Was 'Cryin' Sam' one of those two, or someone else entirely?

Crying Sam was Sam Crotzer. I played him banks in the Ye Billiard Den in the early 70s. He was on my bank pool "hit" list so I was well aware of who he was. When I beat him, he lived up to his name and cried like a banshee.

the Beard

jay helfert

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

That's the guy I was thinking of, Robert Ryan. You must have seen Sam somewhere to know that. He was called both Okie Sam and Cryin' Sam out here. In fact, for a while, I thought they were two different guys. I found out that they were one and the same. Seattle Sam is another guy.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Old Days

Old Days

You're right Fred, Crying/Okie Sam could whine. In the mid 60's Jack Perkins
staked him to play me (fairly high) on the old 5x10 at the top of the stairs
at Cochran's One of the few times I (or anybody) got in Jack's pocket. JP
could sing too. In all fairness Sam was well past his prime. Jack's nose was
slightly open so I taxed him a few more dollars in an old prop game.
He gave me the 5 ball (in 9 ball) and he won if he made the 9 hit the end
rail. He didn't stay too long at that game. He took a lot of razzing from the
old guys for never having heard of that proposition before.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Crying Sam (proposition)

Crying Sam (proposition)

I've heard of the proposition you mention, but I don't know how it works. Will you explain? Thanks:rolleyes:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
prop game

prop game

vapros said:
I've heard of the proposition you mention, but I don't know how it works. Will you explain? Thanks:rolleyes:
If two players play close to even, The one driving the nine to the end rail
by combination, billiard or whatever means, will have about 2 to 1 the worst of it. Try it with a friend, you'll see. (assuming he is spotting you the 7 or better)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dick, do you mean driving the 9-ball to the head rail, foot rail, or either end rail? That DOES sound like a proposition that would be hard to turn down.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
End rail

End rail

Doc, I have always been confused by the "head and foot" terminology.
To me the end rail is the end where you break from. Please don't confuse
me even more!!!!!:Dick