Ghost vs. John 39 wwyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
    Thx for the draw up, see thread 13 this also was my shot choice....it lays natural for a follow shot, and your cue ball speed is extremely easy to control. In your draw up, I don't think I would of run the cue ball that high up on the long rail tho.
    I like this option, it moves the threatening 8ball and puts your opponent in a limited position. This option is all a bout controlling the cue ball, trying to perform this option to utilize the 8ball to create positive action would be a mistake, IMO. If you allow the cue ball to travel too far north you could give up a bank on the 2ball that could prove to be too costly. Also this option isn't full proof, you leave a bank on the 11ball, and by drawing the cue ball you could put your opponent behind the 5ball. For that reason I rather play off the 2ball and reposition the 2ball by your side pocket. The 2ball then will be a deterrent for your opponent banking at the 11ball.

Dr. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
      I like this option, it moves the threatening 8ball and puts your opponent in a limited position. This option is all a bout controlling the cue ball, trying to perform this option to utilize the 8ball to create positive action would be a mistake, IMO. If you allow the cue ball to travel too far north you could give up a bank on the 2ball that could prove to be too costly. Also this option isn't full proof, you leave a bank on the 11ball, and by drawing the cue ball you could put your opponent behind the 5ball. For that reason I rather play off the 2ball and reposition the 2ball by your side pocket. The 2ball then will be a deterrent for your opponent banking at the 11ball.

Dr. Bill
      This follow shot, has a HUGE cue ball position zone once past where the eight ball was.

Billy, you could roll your cue ball and hide from the two ball, ten outta ten tries, all day long.
      Bill Meacham
      WBT
      www.worldbilliardtour.com
      no link....

Comment

Originally posted by keoneyo View Post
        I would agree with you if it was a straight up and down bank with no english.
        Thats no good.
        But I think you can use left center and cut just a little backwards and sending the object ball up and back towards the pocket. Use left stun and aim for center ball on the object ball (Its a shot Grady showed me).
        You must use a good strong stroke and cue ball should pop off the rail to other side.
        You make it you have the 10 and the game.
        This is my shot, CB being near the rail is no problem I shoot it with the butt of the cue elevated and use a little low right to combat the C.I.E. no prob getting the CB across the table.
        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

First shot I liked was also the 1 ball, but I dont use the stun technique here, I like using straight up 12 oclock..cb hits off my long rail and heads towards his long rail and the upper corner pocket. Ideally I would love to put him on the head rail but I will settle for anything down table and near his rail.

top priority here for me is making sure to hit it pocket speed and have the 1 ball in danger zone territory.

Comment

I'm surprised that with all of the Mouseketeers on here, only one Mouseketeer has recommended 2-railing the 11ball, spinning whitey around and back, and running out...

- Ghost
            jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Banking the 1ball is a tall order, especially for players that play under world-class speed, IMO. The awkwardness of the angle coupled with where the cue ball is laying makes this option super aggressive and demanding, in terms of a good hit. Is it doable? Yes, it's doable but low% and the possible return shots that could be left makes this option less appealing and one that I wouldn't consider. Sorry I came down so strong but it's options of this type that are game-changing options if not hit perfectly that causes the shooter to lose control of the ball position and because of that the game, a high% of the time.

"Tip of the day"
              Options that carry this high of a degree of difficulty should be avoided unless the shooter is extremely confident that his leave (if missed) will not compromise his chances of winning the game.

Dr. Bill
              Normally I would defer to your seniority. Not only in age but in experience. However, saying that, I disagree with your conclusions. I do not think that getting the rock in a safe position after the bank is that difficult with a firm follow through. The bank is makeable and if made there is huge reward.

But on the concept of "doable but low %" I challenge that concept.
              There are times in ones one pocket life that one must step over the line from mediocrity to exceptional. When does one do it? Of course what helps is dedication, commitment, and practice. But when do we stop asking ourselves.
              "What would Efren do here?" and become Efren and shoot the shot.

People might think thats strange coming from me as many of my choices are conservative but I know when to go for it and when to be patient. At least I like to think so. But in my life I have made daring choices and only see that as a way out of a very mediocre unsatisfactory situation. Personally I rather die than end up mediocre. I believe there must be a balance between safety and daring. You know, risk vs reward.
              After all, as a good friend has told me, "So what if you miss, theyre not going to send you to the electric chair if you do!". Sometimes you got to go outside of yourself and try to excel.

As in Ecclesiastes 3-A time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.

Comment

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                First shot I liked was also the 1 ball, but I dont use the stun technique here, I like using straight up 12 oclock..cb hits off my long rail and heads towards his long rail and the upper corner pocket. Ideally I would love to put him on the head rail but I will settle for anything down table and near his rail.

top priority here for me is making sure to hit it pocket speed and have the 1 ball in danger zone territory.
                The reason I like the stun here is accuracy. With the object ball so close to the rail I can be more accurate on a firm stroke. (plus it puts the fear in the heart of your opponent when you strike the ball like Thor).

But also Im trying for position to run out. And getting on the opponents side of the table under the side pocket is optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                  I'm surprised that with all of the Mouseketeers on here, only one Mouseketeer has recommended 2-railing the 11ball, spinning whitey around and back, and running out...

- Ghost
                  This mouse also suggested banking the 5 6 combo back and coming up on the 10.

Comment

2 railer

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post

- Ghost
                    You'd have to hit the cue ball too hard is how Thread 1 appears from this keyboard. Because of those two upper interfering balls your cueing needs to be pretty precise to control both ball speeds and come two outta the corner and back down.
                    Bill Meacham
                    WBT
                    www.worldbilliardtour.com
                    no link....

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
                      You'd have to hit the cue ball too hard is how Thread 1 appears from this keyboard. Because of those two upper interfering balls your cueing needs to be pretty precise to control both ball speeds and come two outta the corner and back down.
                      And you don't think there's several guys on here who can easily accomplish all that with their mouse?..
                      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

if I had a little more of the bottom of the cue ball I would definitely two rail the 11 but with the cue ball that close to the rail I am gonna cross the 10 to my side and move the cue ball down table behind the stack

Comment

Chris, if you cut bank the 10 ball over to your side, which side of the 11 ball will the cue ball go? If you hit the right side of the 11, you might end up selling out a shot on the 6.

Shooting the 9 into the 8 to move them both away will leave some kind of shot on the 2 or the 7, wouldn’t it? Where are you going to leave the cue ball to deny a bank or a cut or even a combo bank?

Two railing the 11 looks great on paper, but I'd be silently hoping my opponent would shoot that shot.

I still think that banking the one ball whilst floating the cue ball down to the end rail to leave a fairly straight rail shot on the 14 is the best shot, but if I had to choose another, I'd try to carom the 2 ball off the 4 and bank it towards my hole. leaving the cue ball on the side rail higher than the 10 ball to make the return bank on the 10 somewhat riskier. I won’t be able to get the 2 ball close to my hole unless I go for a really thin carom that routes the 2 ball towards the 13...maybe it would even carom off the 13 into my hole, but I dream on....

Comment

I am crossing the ten so that the cue ball misses the 11 entirely and going straight back down the table towards the opponents pocket. for me it is a fairly docile shot but also keep pressure on opponent and should protect balls on my side while not giving up anything. my ideal outcome is to freeze the rail near the 8 ball.

Comment

My preference her is to wait a bit longer. I'm going to leave him near the head rail with the goal of protecting the 1 ball and possibly taking the stripe out of play.
                              Attached Files

Comment

If the angle is there for this shot than this would be my choice as well. If the angle predicts that by shooting straight ahead you will pass the 4ball on the left than play the 2ball straight ahead with the speed to position the 2ball on your side and the cue ball on the side rail snookering the 13ball. This is a simple shot that will force your opponent to play a conservative safety in return which should put you in a better position.

In situations like this one where there isn't a standout move, you're better off playing a simple shot that will force your opponent to play passively on his return shot.

Also, playing off the 2ball and repositioning it on your side will deter your opponent on many options that he would have if the 2ball hadn't been repositioned.

Dr. Bill
                                For what it's worth I like moving the 2ball cross table for several reasons, one being that it will act as a deterrent laying near my side rail which would then preclude my opponent from taking a free pop at banking the 11ball or any other ball later in the rack. Also, the 2ball actually favors my opponent where it lies, banking it cross corner would be an option that I would need to defend against possibly later in the rack. It also prevents me from playing the 7ball, a key ball in extending my run because it sits back from the 2ball and offers me many more options in terms of playing position and opening up the rack to finish a run. Envision the 2ball not there and you can see how much more appealing the balls are configured for the shooter, it's clearly a liability. You have a chance to move it now, why not?

Dr. Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X