WWYD - ck vs opponent - shot 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wgcp View Post
    I would probably shoot the 5 straight into the rail towards the 14. A touch of top left rolling the cue under the 4. Both balls should go towards my pocket and the cue is safe. Sometimes you just have to go for a tough one to get safe.
    That was my proposal too, but no one else seems to like it.

I don't really oppose the 6 and might shoot it. I'm already an underdog (35%?) given the ball positions. So a 50-50 shot on the 6 isn't a bad gamble given that it brings a lot of follow-on shots.
    "LOL ... judging by your shot selections you play good" -- Hacker, September 29, 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
      Larry at this point in the game I'm mainly concerned with getting out of this inning and getting back to the table again. I will deal with whatever he does on my next turn.

Shooting at the six even if you make it doesn't guarantee another shot especially if you run into the nine or the five. To get a shot on the seven you would have to draw to the side rail and it looks like that would require for you to elevate the butt of your cue and that in it's self makes the shot more challenging.

The balls are sitting too good to tempt him with a shot since there will be a big reward if he makes one. I see four balls that have and open path to his pocket. His opportunity for risk and reward are much better than yours if you decide to shot at that six ball. For that reason I'm taking him to the other end of the table.
      Frank,

I think your shot is a viable option unless you let the CB get above the 2 ball (say in the vicinity of the 10 ball) as the 2 ball is bankable, and in shooting that bank the CB goes up table to put you in deeper do-do. Course should he make the 2 ball bank, he's of to the races. If he doesn't shoot the 2 ball bank, he will likely put you back up on the 8 ball. No gain.

I think the mistake made too often is to think a problem like this has to be resolved in one shot. Removing the 8 ball and freezing him on the head rail near the center diamond provides him no acceptable low risk shot to his hole, and forces him to bring the CB down table. Good for you.
      The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

I call this the "2 tears in a bucket, F%CK it" shot.

You FRAM with the idea of trying to make the 2 or 11. Meanwhile you clear 3 balls out of his hole.

What do you think?
        Attached Files

Comment

I think you should put the pipe down!

Comment

see what happens when you go too long with no table time fats?

you start hallucinating!

Where's ghost's psychedelic pic when you need it?! =D

good imagination though hehe...

Comment

What's wrong with the 8 to the hole? Especially if you are lefty
              Attached Files
              http://www.billiardsthegame.com/ Taking your game to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by mohrt View Post
                What's wrong with the 8 to the hole? Especially if you are lefty
                you know your pocket is at the other end of the table ?? yes??
                if not you leave a makeable shot on the 11 and an easy reply regardless where the cue ball goes

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post

I think the mistake made too often is to think a problem like this has to be resolved in one shot. Removing the 8 ball and freezing him on the head rail near the center diamond provides him no acceptable low risk shot to his hole, and forces him to bring the CB down table. Good for you.
                  That's the shot I was referring to in post #7. The CB really only has to get to the 1st diamond on the head rail. Good shot, good reasoning.

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                    That's the shot I was referring to in post #7. The CB really only has to get to the 1st diamond on the head rail. Good shot, good reasoning.

~Doc
                    Good call Doc. Don't forget though, it is important to remove that 8 ball to somewhere down table to force your opponent to shoot down table.
                    The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
                      Larry at this point in the game I'm mainly concerned with getting out of this inning and getting back to the table again. I will deal with whatever he does on my next turn.

Shooting at the six even if you make it doesn't guarantee another shot especially if you run into the nine or the five. To get a shot on the seven you would have to draw to the side rail and it looks like that would require for you to elevate the butt of your cue and that in it's self makes the shot more challenging.

The balls are sitting too good to tempt him with a shot since there will be a big reward if he makes one. I see four balls that have and open path to his pocket. His opportunity for risk and reward are much better than yours if you decide to shot at that six ball. For that reason I'm taking him to the other end of the table.
                      frank
                      thanks for the explanation
                      i see the logic in your plan
                      thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by lll View Post
                        you know your pocket is at the other end of the table ?? yes??
                        if not you leave a makeable shot on the 11 and an easy reply regardless where the cue ball goes
                        My bad! The first post said your hole is the one with no balls. Even the suggestions made sense. The 6 ball is bankable lol. Never mind, carry on...
                        http://www.billiardsthegame.com/ Taking your game to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by mohrt View Post
                          My bad! The first post said your hole is the one with no balls. Even the suggestions made sense. The 6 ball is bankable lol. Never mind, carry on...
                          check your pm

Comment

Thanks Jalapus,

Not meaning to challenge your shot choice, just wondering what thought process players go through in deciding to shoot. I also would ad that if your gonna draw the CB that side pocket looms large, and lastly, if you don't get shape to make that ball on the spot, shooting the 6 ball might not be worth much. Just wondering,, I know you play with Bruce frequently, what would he say or try to teach?
                            The thought process is the fun part for sure and I certainly appreciate your perspective as well as the other guys' as well. I don't get to play with Bruce (Ghost right?). I DO get to play with Brumback from time to time and let me tell you that's a learning experience, lol.... Alas, I'm plum beat from building a retaining wall and setting blue stone, so I'll punk out and pass on shooting the shot 10 times tonight. I'll give it a whirl this weekend though.

Cheers,

JL (aka Neil)

Comment

Originally posted by jalapus logan View Post
                              The thought process is the fun part for sure and I certainly appreciate your perspective as well as the other guys' as well. I don't get to play with Bruce (Ghost right?). I DO get to play with Brumback from time to time and let me tell you that's a learning experience, lol.... Alas, I'm plum beat from building a retaining wall and setting blue stone, so I'll punk out and pass on shooting the shot 10 times tonight. I'll give it a whirl this weekend though.

Cheers,

JL (aka Neil)
                              Neil,

I'm sorry, I thought I read or saw some threads with you playing Gostie, excuse me.

The thought process is the most interesting to me, true. I always wonder how players calculate and manage their risk/reward analysis, and how accurate they are. Seems that most players are optomistic, some overly so. Those are the guys you wanna play.

No problem, take a rest, that work sounds very tiring. Let us know how you do when you are ready.

I appreciate you willingness to take it to the table. Good luck.

Darrell

Comment

Neil,

I'm sorry, I thought I read or saw some threads with you playing Gostie, excuse me.

The thought process is the most interesting to me, true. I always wonder how players calculate and manage their risk/reward analysis, and how accurate they are. Seems that most players are optomistic, some overly so. Those are the guys you wanna play.

No problem, take a rest, that work sounds very tiring. Let us know how you do when you are ready.

I appreciate you willingness to take it to the table. Good luck.

Darrell
                                I'll report back, good results or bad. Also in my calculus is that I'm feeling particularly good about my game at the moment. I've been just seeing and feeling shots that had given me trouble previously. So my recent experience probably has me a bit heady in my shot selection at present. Show me the shot in a month and I'm liable to say I'll duck...

Comment

Working...
                                X