The Order...

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn, it might be a good lesson for those of us who are trying to learn the game

And I would also be interested to see how minds work in the final analysis when the shot choice is made... Does anyone revisit a previous look if it was a close choice?

After deciding upon the shot, do you try to hit it in your mind, or try to feel it?
Do you absolutely commit to the shot?

I’ll post and look for comments... Thanks...

In Chess, like one pocket there are a number of openings to a game. The responses to these openings are called "book" moves, which means that the experts have figured out the exact counter to every move for the first 10 or 15 moves in Chess. The same can be said in one pocket. We believe there are certain shots you MUST know in one pocket in order to be competitive. But one pocket is more dynamic than chess because it requires a physical component as well as knowledge. It is also a three dimensional game, which can add variables.

Over the years, we have learned the "book" moves in one pocket. We have learned these tactical shots to counter our opponent and we have learned operational principles that must be honored in order to win consistently. What are those principles of the middle game and the end game? I suggest the following:

1. Play the score. The PRIME Directive. You will lose more games violating this principle than any other one.

2. Block your opponents banking lanes. If he can't bank, he usually can't score. Tie it up.

3. Free your banking lanes. If you leave them blocked up, you'll fall behind.

4. Don't disturb a combination that goes to your hole. If it goes, wait till you can shoot it. It's a big threat. A game changing threat.

5. Disturb a combination that goes to his hole. Same is true for him.

4. Check the stack before every shot. So many new players violate this principle.

5. Usually, the player that makes the fewest mistakes wins. Not always true at the highest level, but even there it is usually true.

6. Distance is the cousin of safe. You'll run in to Bergman or Dennis or Alex that will just punish you, but those guys are few and far between. If you are stuck, just leave them long and straight in.

7. Keep him on a ball, on the rail or behind a blocking ball. So important to keep your opponent off balance.

If I were teaching a new player, I would teach him these principles, rather than trying to show him specific shots. If he respects these principles, he will find the right shot usually.

beatle

Verified Member
all said well and good.but it boils down to basically 2 things to know.

1. what are your chances of winning that game.

2. and what shot gives you that best chance. then do that.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Very interesting and insightful guys... Lots of wisdom here and I will take some of these pearls forward to the table next time I get the opportunity to play some one pocket... Thanks to all for your thoughts...:)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
What are some ideas on how to play the score?

Basically,

When you are ahead by several balls, the general idea is to move balls up table and make it more difficult for your opponent to run several balls... the opposite would apply when you are the one that’s behind in the score...

It also seems that risky shots are more often taken by the person that is trailing in the score, especially if there are several balls to be gained by taking the risk..

Conversely, it’s traditionally the practice of the leading player to be much more patient and conservative with his shot selections, and play more of a waiting and defensive game, trying to pick off a single ball at a time...

I’m sure that others here might have better suggestions for you, but these are a couple of basics...

beatle

Verified Member
every time you knock a ball up table you just lost a turn. so it had better be really good to do it.

heavy defensive players beat much worse players easier and all the time. but against a shooter they tend to lose using that strategy.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
1. Check the stack for dead balls. to both pockets.
2. Can I make a ball , or balls,, how to get the max and then do something positive on my last shot , like block his banks or move balls that go toward his pocket
3. Is there a great safety, {way under used element by most people.}
Many times I watched Scott Frost pass on banks, and making hanging balls he couldn't get more from, and take an intentional foul to push the stack toward his pocket, break up balls and leave the opponent frozen behind balls. Killer tactic.
4.{Some people on here think, when you are bunting and moving balls up table it's just a wasted shot.}
It probably is for them ,I try to not have it be for me.
Every shot I am trying to put the object ball somewhere beneficial to me, but not my opponent, and I am trying to put the cueball, in the best place I can get to without a circus shot, where he can't move balls that are near my hole, has no shot and starts to hate one pocket. {Usually on the rail or frozen on a ball.} {and I am keeping my feel for ball speed at the same time. Because I am not just shooting toward an area ,I am trying to play both balls within a few inches at most.} I'm no champion , so many times it doesn't happen , but , it keeps me close enough , so when I do get a chance ,I usually at least hit it decentand they have a chance at going where I want.
5. If I have a good lead , I try to put every ball out of play that I don't need down table to win as fast as possible , multiple ball movement is a good thing , like tempos in chess.
If I need 3, I am sending balls up table until I reach that number, unless my opponent leaves me a high percentage shot.
I am not making a ball in the upper corner and leaving one in another corner for him and then there are 5 down there, "I don't need 5" He does! I only need 3 , If I am way behind I do the opposite.
6. If your opponent shows you he can make extremely thin cut shots , leave him tough banks instead, or vice versa.
If you keep letting them beat you with the same shot, your goofty.
7. Never leave a bank with draw for position on other balls or to a safety, they always hit it perfect.
8. This one is my own from a lifetime of gambling at pool.
Never force your opponent to shoot the shot that beats you!
You might as well set fire to your money.
On a side note
I just watched a match between Alex and Orcollo, Orcollo has learned a lot about the game in the last couple of years ,but Alex still knows many ways to trap him in the moving game.
Instead of doing that , Alex gets a lead in 2 straight games 5-0 and 6-2, I think and doesn't take balls COMPLETELY out of play , just knocks them into areas it would be tough to end up with a shot on , guess what, Dennis got there and made all of them!
I think in the next 3 years, Orcollo will be playing the best One Pocket, any human has ever played.
I used to get perturbed when my opponent made a great shot and had me in trouble.
My posture showed it and it boosted my opponent even more.
Now I thank them!
I will say, thanks for the opportunity to make this amazing shot!
It has amazed me, how much more often, I have a good outcome and the adrenalin loss the opponent has , when he hits a perfect shot and is greedily eyeing all the balls he will get , then you take it all away and he is in trouble.
It takes a very strong mind, to overcome that
Most people don't.
Oh, and the worst sin of all, in One Pocket, is not knowing the score at all times, I just watched a match between 2 world champions and the one player had a spot shot type of shot and played shape on a ball he didn't need , he already had 7 . He missed the ball , over rolled position and sold out the ball he didn't need and the guy played position and won the game .
You just can't make those unforced errors against equal opponents at any level.
Losing the game is not even the worst part, the psychological value to both players is huge!
If my opponent doesn't realise it , I make sure to tell him so he doesn't do it again!!!!!

Last edited: