Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Order...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Order...

    Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn, it might be a good lesson for those of us who are trying to learn the game

    And I would also be interested to see how minds work in the final analysis when the shot choice is made... Does anyone revisit a previous look if it was a close choice?

    After deciding upon the shot, do you try to hit it in your mind, or try to feel it?
    Do you absolutely commit to the shot?

    I’ll post and look for comments... Thanks...
    Last edited by Jeff sparks; 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM.

  • #2
    i for sure am not a "top hand "..:
    but here goes my approach
    do i have a shot...whats the risk/ reward and % make
    am i in trouble
    how can i get out of it and / or turn the table
    where do i want the cue ball.
    how do i get there
    how can i improve my position/worsen his position and put him in trouble
    ........
    i never thought about it but i do visualize and feel the shot prior to shooting

    Comment


    • #3
      The first thing I like to do is look at the stack. I think, like straight pool, the stack and playing out of the stack is so huge in both games.

      Do I have any balls dead or close to dead? Does my opponent?

      if so I will try to break them up so they aren't dead for him anymore and/or try to better my position in the stack.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
        The first thing I like to do is look at the stack. I think, like straight pool, the stack and playing out of the stack is so huge in both games.

        Do I have any balls dead or close to dead? Does my opponent?

        if so I will try to break them up so they aren't dead for him anymore and/or try to better my position in the stack.
        good advice cincy
        i always check the stack but forgot to put it on my list

        Comment


        • #5
          When I first started playing one hole I was very confused. I would play with this seasoned player for a few dollars a game and he would critique my shot selection and even stop me before I sot if I was missing a key element. I used to go home with powerful headaches because there was so much to think about. I ordered Dr. Bill video and his video gave me a logical approach to me thinking back then.

          It was a great starting point as far as a thought process. I still used it today to some extent and I always use it when working with a newcomer to the game. Keith

          Comment


          • #6
            I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.

            First i like to try to remind myself of the score to set the tone for what kind of shot i should be looking for.
            If i don't have something dead in with value after, then I try to look for anything obvious that i can play that's both aggressive and safe. Put a ball near my hole and tie up the cue.
            If nothing there then what balls should i be most focused on protecting, and where's the best place i can get the cueball that's within my capabilities.
            Knowing that last part is hard for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sappo View Post
              When I first started playing one hole I was very confused. I would play with this seasoned player for a few dollars a game and he would critique my shot selection and even stop me before I sot if I was missing a key element. I used to go home with powerful headaches because there was so much to think about. I ordered Dr. Bill video and his video gave me a logical approach to me thinking back then.

              It was a great starting point as far as a thought process. I still used it today to some extent and I always use it when working with a newcomer to the game. Keith
              I didn't know there was a Dr. Bill video.
              Where can I buy one?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChicagoFats View Post
                I didn't know there was a Dr. Bill video.
                Where can I buy one?
                Accu-stats

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                  The first thing I like to do is look at the stack. I think, like straight pool, the stack and playing out of the stack is so huge in both games.
                  I don't see enough of the possibilities in general, but not checking the stack is probably my worst sin in that category.

                  A checklist sounds like a great idea to me - I'm taking notes.

                  pj
                  chgo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChicagoFats View Post
                    I didn't know there was a Dr. Bill video.
                    Where can I buy one?
                    Originally posted by 12squared View Post
                    Accu-stats
                    http://store.accu-stats.com/incardon...ructional-dvd/

                    "Bill discusses, and then demonstrates, each thought process that he deems important."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I look for a easy shot for me, but if he has a ball that needs to be cleared out I check to make sure I can still get it out of his hole after I shoot. I also check the stack, anyone who has played me knows I like to kick into the stack sending balls towards my hole and leaving the CB against the stack.---Smitty

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Problem balls to deal with, then ck the rack....then where do I want whitey and what shots will get whitey there naturally. Watch the ball collisions ''very closely'' to quickly develop muscle memory for this particular table.
                        Bill Meacham
                        WBT
                        www.worldbilliardtour.com
                        no link....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
                          Just thought if we could get a brief synopsis from everyone who plays one pocket about “the order” in which they view the table when it’s their turn,
                          First I look for any amazing shot I've ever made in practice. If I don't see anything, I ask myself, "What would Mitch do?"

                          Then I play safe.

                          (Sneaky Rene had my real answer: "I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.")

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Order...

                            Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                            First I look for any amazing shot I've ever made in practice. If I don't see anything, I ask myself, "What would Mitch do?"

                            Then I play safe.

                            (Sneaky Rene had my real answer: "I could probably use a lot of help in this area. Not only in the process but having the discipline to stick to one.")


                            Heehee. I can give my list and you can all do the opposite. Guaranteed to jump your game two speeds.

                            Really though if I’m gambling...

                            1.Whats the score (how aggressive do I need to be) (I am better but still could still use improvement here)

                            My shots in order of what I look for:

                            2.Do I have a free offensive shot at my hole.
                            3.Do I have a good offensive trap available (put a ball by my hole while hiding whitey)
                            4.Looking at the table, do I have a free shot to remove a ball from my opponents “Scoring zone” while hiding whitey.
                            5.If none of the previous shots are available, how best can I put pressure on my opponent using distance. Put balls on my side and the cue uptable.
                            6.Again if none of these options are there sometimes it’s a purely defensive shot removing his threats and pushing balls uptable (the worst lol)
                            7.If no 2-6, sometimes it’s literally a waiting game and just bumping playing safe and waiting for the other guy (usually LSJohn 🖐&#127996 to make a mistake.

                            Another thing that I never used to do is look at the “whole table”. If I had a shot, but my opponent has most of the balls by his hole, sometimes my “Job” before shooting is to remove his threats.
                            Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                              Heehee. I can give my list and you can all do the opposite. Guaranteed to jump your game two speeds.

                              Really though if I’m gambling...

                              1.Whats the score (how aggressive do I need to be) (I am better but still could still use improvement here)

                              My shots in order of what I look for:

                              2.Do I have a free offensive shot at my hole.
                              3.Do I have a good offensive trap available (put a ball by my hole while hiding whitey)
                              4.Looking at the table, do I have a free shot to remove a ball from my opponents “Scoring zone” while hiding whitey.
                              5.If none of the previous shots are available, how best can I put pressure on my opponent using distance. Put balls on my side and the cue uptable.
                              6.Again if none of these options are there sometimes it’s a purely defensive shot removing his threats and pushing balls uptable (the worst lol)
                              7.If no 2-6, sometimes it’s literally a waiting game and just bumping playing safe and waiting for the other guy (usually LSJohn 🖐&#127996 to make a mistake.

                              Another thing that I never used to do is look at the “whole table”. If I had a shot, but my opponent has most of the balls by his hole, sometimes my “Job” before shooting is to remove his threats.
                              Great list Mitch! No wonder you take so long to pull the trigger! (just kidding lol)

                              One of the things I know I need to improve on is one thing that Josh Roberts does well or at least tries to do well. When I am playing a ball towards my hole while hiding the CB, I need to concentrate more on where the CB is going, even if I am purposely aiming to miss the hole...habit makes me aim to make the shot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X