WWYD - #2 - Daulton v Reyes - 2014 DCC Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD - #2 - Daulton v Reyes - 2014 DCC Finals

running of the balls. here's a head scratcher.....

daulton just ran 4 balls. he's on the 4 and/or 9.

what would you shoot, how would you shoot it, and why?

WWYD?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	406717

I'm shooting the 9 (its free) to get a better angle on the 4 so i can use it to stun up for the 3 for my seventh ball.

Comment

nine then the 3 as its higher up and easier to get posi on the 4. this way he gets three balls for sure and can hit the 4 easier to just breakout one ball for the win.

but he might be thinking he has enough angle to kick that 5 out right now.

Comment

I like: 9-3-4-safe. Unless the 11 can kiss in off the 5...

~Doc

Comment

I am probably showing my non ball running skills here but I would actually shoot the 4 first. It looks like it has a good angle to make the 3 with some draw and the CB hits off the 15 and draws back up table for the 9.

I wanted to go into the stack now to try to break some balls free that I can run after the 9.

Comment

shoot the 9 in...

thats a straight pool shot on the 4, seen it a million times. get the center of the table(ish) angle, draw off the 4 to the end rail with low left... you knock a couple balls out as you do this and five now goes.

now you are on the 3 with a great chance to win with the 5 as your 8th.

you gotta put efren away all the balls are in play. it is the old sun szu stuff about never putting an opponents back to the wall. if he just gets three here efren has got a great shot at doing something and shannon knows that.

Comment

The only way to get a fourth ball is to open the stack off the 4. I choose to do it with the first shot to have maximum options to get on the fourth ball.

pj
              chgo

Comment

I'm shootin' the 4 that will open up the 5 and the 11. Shoot the 5 then try and get on the 11 that was opened up shooting the 4 first. Nice, quick snap back draw shot. I would judge the speed of my draw shot to the carom that moves the 11 into the clear. If I over hit the draw, I then have the 9 available. If I waaay overdraw I might have shape on the 3.
                Bill Meacham
                WBT
                www.worldbilliardtour.com
                no link....

Comment

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
                  shoot the 9 in...

thats a straight pool shot on the 4, seen it a million times. get the center of the table(ish) angle, draw off the 4 to the end rail with low left... you knock a couple balls out as you do this and five now goes.

now you are on the 3 with a great chance to win with the 5 as your 8th.

you gotta put efren away all the balls are in play. it is the old sun szu stuff about never putting an opponents back to the wall. if he just gets three here efren has got a great shot at doing something and shannon knows that.
                  Yes, I believe that you and Bill Meacham have the best method to attack this position. There isn't an angle for us to accurately determine how to play this shot but there looks to be enough of an angle to loosen up a few balls and play some type of position, whether it be on the 3ball, 9ball, 5ball, or another ball if possible. However, I agree with those who feel that playing the 9ball first will offer you a better chance of running balls, only if it's a comfortable angle on the 9ball, which we cant tell from the picture. If not, than playing the 4ball would be the better choice because it's in front of you and less often missed.

Staying in control of the table can never be overrated, playing the 4ball almost assures us of doing that.

Dr. Bill
                  Last edited by wincardona; 04-26-2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

From the angle of the picture, it looks like there's only a 5 degree cut on the 4. If so, I don't know what could be dislodged from the stack in order to continue the run. Some straight pool players might shoot it with high left spin, hoping to bump something and have the CB travel 3 rails to end up back on the shooting side of the stack.

~Doc

Comment

These guys shoot so straight I can’t imagine Shannon not shooting the 4 with a smooth right hand english draw stroke... simple shot as close as he is, and there appears to be just enough angle for a small bust out of the 5... the cb should hit the 15 hard enough to open up the 5 and perhaps even the 11... it’s really not hard to smooth stroke this shot and draw the cb two rails for perfect shape on the 3 ball next... from there it’s natural shape on the 9 then the 5...

But leading like he is, he will probably shoot the 9 first...

Comment

shannon did indeed play the 4 drawing off the stripe on top of the cluster of balls

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	399239

he shot it very firm and jawed the 4, sending it back into the stack which was somewhat already in motion from the cue ball caroming off the stripe

here is a pick of the balls still rolling

Name:	3 balls rolling.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	399240

leaving efren here

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	399241

efren ran out and had the break for his set game, going on to win the 2014 DCC

Name:	efrensnazzyshirt.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	399242

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                          shannon did indeed play the 4 drawing off the stripe on top of the cluster of balls
                          he shot it very firm and jawed the 4, sending it back into the stack which was somewhat already in motion from the cue ball caroming off the stripe

That is the problem with that shot. The angle really wasn't there for a good breakout, so he tried to create more of an angle, and in the process missed the shot. He was too eager to win the game. He could have run 3, played safe, then needed only 1, while Efren would have needed all 8.

~Doc

Comment

Been there done that many times

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                              That is the problem with that shot. The angle really wasn't there for a good breakout, so he tried to create more of an angle, and in the process missed the shot. He was too eager to win the game. He could have run 3, played safe, then needed only 1, while Efren would have needed all 8.

~Doc
                              Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                              Been there done that many times

do you think being left handed plays into his decision here?

looks like something i'd do....lol....

Comment

Working...
                              X