JOB Billiards

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
This place is a ghost town. At least I don’t have tons of smokers around:)

I have a friend who has lived in the Nashville area for over ten years. He has stated year after year that JOB's was on a downhill slide. The last time I spoke to him, several weeks ago, he didn't think it could survive another year based on the mismanagement and failure to keep the equipment in shape. I imagine that downhill slide has become a nosedive. Too bad.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I have a friend who has lived in the Nashville area for over ten years. He has stated year after year that JOB's was on a downhill slide. The last time I spoke to him, several weeks ago, he didn't think it could survive another year based on the mismanagement and failure to keep the equipment in shape. I imagine that downhill slide has become a nosedive. Too bad.

Yea, ever since Blaylock(he name was JOB) sold out its went down hill. Last time i was there with 12squared the pit table was in pretty bad shape. Used to be a bunch of strong players there with plenty of action. I hear its mainly league bangers in there now. Too bad.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Yea, ever since Blaylock(he name was JOB) sold out its went down hill. Last time i was there with 12squared the pit table was in pretty bad shape. Used to be a bunch of strong players there with plenty of action. I hear its mainly league bangers in there now. Too bad.

My friend in Tennessee is currently 68 years old and still plays a super solid game of one pocket. He mentioned that some of the better one pocket players he was competing with when he first moved to the Nashville area were a bit older than him and have since passed away. Another player, probably the best one who frequented JOB's named "Pickle," is currently incarcerated for a zillion years. Yet, my friend still goes to JOB's to play once a week in a league but gets depressed each time because of the deplorable conditions. We've all seen those pool rooms where a great owner dies and the new owners know nothing about how to run a pool room. Maybe JOB's needs that cable TV reality guy who comes into a failing business and revamps it for the current owner.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My friend in Tennessee is currently 68 years old and still plays a super solid game of one pocket. He mentioned that some of the better one pocket players he was competing with when he first moved to the Nashville area were a bit older than him and have since passed away. Another player, probably the best one who frequented JOB's named "Pickle," is currently incarcerated for a zillion years. Yet, my friend still goes to JOB's to play once a week in a league but gets depressed each time because of the deplorable conditions. We've all seen those pool rooms where a great owner dies and the new owners know nothing about how to run a pool room. Maybe JOB's needs that cable TV reality guy who comes into a failing business and revamps it for the current owner.

Bobby Pickle was a great player and great fun to watch. Could beat anybody on a bar box when he was right. Beat Effern in the 9 ball at DCC once. Won and lost thousands playing pool. One of those super high octane guys. Unfortunately in and out of prison a lot. Bad druggie. The last deal, him and a couple other guys were on a 3 day drug bender and kidnapped this guy to rob him, guys name was Kashola...lol, got caught and they threw away the key this time as far as i know http://www.ask4direct.com/InfoRead.asp?id=WMSR&InfoID=648384

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I went to Nashville for a work conference about 10 years ago. I am not sure the name of the place but it was outside of Nashville and took me at least 30 minutes to get to in a taxi.
The bar had a poker league going on in the bar. I played some guy 2 $100 9 ball sets on a bar box with a house cue. Did pickle have a kid named junior? I think the guy I played might have been 25 at the time if I had to guess. He must have been a good player because there were a crowd of spectators.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I went to Nashville for a work conference about 10 years ago. I am not sure the name of the place but it was outside of Nashville and took me at least 30 minutes to get to in a taxi.
The bar had a poker league going on in the bar. I played some guy 2 $100 9 ball sets on a bar box with a house cue. Did pickle have a kid named junior? I think the guy I played might have been 25 at the time if I had to guess. He must have been a good player because there were a crowd of spectators.

Did you knock em off in front of his local cheering section? ;)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Not that i know of. Why? Was he jerking like a Gherkin?:lol

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I’ve played Josh O’Neal a few times. He’s the best player around that I know of.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Did you knock em off in front of his local cheering section? ;)

I won the first set and he won the second.
I put a 4 pack on him with a house cue, but i think these were valley tables so it doesn't really count.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I won the first set and he won the second.
I put a 4 pack on him with a house cue, but i think these were valley tables so it doesn't really count.

I must be getting old. I looked to see what year the conference was and it was 2006.
So this was March of 2006. Was this place JOB open then?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I must be getting old. I looked to see what year the conference was and it was 2006.
So this was March of 2006. Was this place JOB open then?
Yea, its been around a long time. Big place. Peg Legman used to run it for JOB back before he sold out. He passed several yrs back. Its probably been over10 yrs since he sold it. Peg was a female pro some of the older folks on this site probably know. I used to go and hang out with Scott Smith when he ran Pro tour events there on occasion and that was probably 15-20 yrs ago. They used to have Gandy? i think..9 fters down stairs and Valleys bar boxes up. That was before they put the huge pocket Diamond bar boxes in there. I also played in a few of the bar box minis back then.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
Yea, its been around a long time. Big place. Peg Legman used to run it for JOB back before he sold out. He passed several yrs back. Its probably been over10 yrs since he sold it. Peg was a female pro some of the older folks on this site probably know. I used to go and hang out with Scott Smith when he ran Pro tour events there on occasion and that was probably 15-20 yrs ago. They used to have Gandy? i think..9 fters down stairs and Valleys bar boxes up. That was before they put the huge pocket Diamond bar boxes in there. I also played in a few of the bar box minis back then.

Those were Kasson 9ft tables on the lower level.
I thought they played pretty good. When they took them out,
I bought my Diamond and rarely went back.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I’ve played Josh O’Neal a few times. He’s the best player around that I know of.

Josh (the real deal oneil)is and was a very good one pocket player. Plays pretty good bar box too. He retired young to work. Still goes to DCC on occasion. I think he's in his 40's now. Nice guy. At one time probably the third or fourth best player down there behind Hennessee and Pickle. Still three or 4 good players down in that area like Booder and Hennesses boy Nick Hickerson(Crazy Erica's ex...lol)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Those were Kasson 9ft tables on the lower level.
I thought they played pretty good. When they took them out,
I bought my Diamond and rarely went back.
Yea thats them, i couldn't remember right. I was talking about them with Buddy the other day and he couldn't remember either....lol Feel free to jump on in here... Youprobably know more about JOB's than i do...lol And while your here we should play one pocket sometime. I don't mind driving down to Clarksville.