Rules question

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
lol

Hilarity would ensue. Or maybe gunplay. :)

pj
chgo

I don't know whether I've seen your position on this, but mine is:

A ball is located at the point it touches the cloth. For the purpose of rule-making, it makes more sense to me to deal with base of the ball.

Close to and touching involve edges of a ball, but that's not about where it is but about where something else is in relation to it.

When playing, I don't give a shit, but my ex-wife said I'd rather argue than have sex. I told her it was chickenshit to wait until I was 70 years old to say that when it was too late for me to deny it. :frus :D

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

A ball is located at the point it touches the cloth. For the purpose of rule-making, it makes more sense to me to deal with base of the ball.
Base of the ball seems more "real" to me, but edges of the ball is simpler and (maybe) easier to see.

I don't mind playing it either way.

pj
chgo

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Close to and touching involve edges of a ball, but that's not about where it is but about where something else is in relation to it.
That always made more sense to me, and was the rule whenever I TD'd an event. Where does the ball touch the cloth?

If a neighbor has a tree where one of the limbs grows over into my property space, who owns the tree? The tree is owned by the owner of the property where the tree's base is located.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
and i can cut off any branches that cross my line. and if your stinkin tree falls on my property and causes damage it is called an act of nature and you dont have to pay me a dime. unless ive informed you of it being a dangerous tree.

problem is base of the ball is hard to determine if there is no line drawn across the table. but the whole ball can be measured easily.

El Chapo

Verified Member
either way, to me the obvious point is there should only be one way it is played. going back and forth between base and edge just causes confusion and problems.

beatle

Verified Member
if you use the whole ball rule then you can just measure it with your cue stick. base of the ball you cant determine it without an argument if its real close.

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
rest of the story

rest of the story

I lost that game, then our league started so that was the first and last game we played together, I did end up ahead for the day since I had played two other opponents early in the day.

Thanks for all the responses, just goes to show you, we don't always know what we don't know.

Tom