Playing Cue?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
To get up to speed on op proper procedure, is it allowed to play a game of op and use more than one cue?

I have seen and heard that Efren likes to do some shots with a certain cue other than his main playing cue. I have 3 playing cues and one is very low deflection so it is nice to use for a op break for it is more accurate, but the rest of the game can another cue be used, and/or on certain shots can you use another cue?

On jump shots it states; "that jump shots are allowed but can only be executed with your playing cue". I believe this is pretty straight forward pertaining to this one shot. For instance I could not grab a full length jump/break cue and use it, correct?

Length restrictions on cues are no longer a rule! Any concerns over the use of cue extensions vs. using a bridge?

Also there are specialized jump bridges, any concerns about that vs. a standard bridge?

Of course back in the day we could get up on the table when gambling, did not use the bridge unless you could not get our of using it. But thus days are probably long gone, are they not? thanks Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
To get up to speed on op proper procedure, is it allowed to play a game of op and use more than one cue?

I have seen and heard that Efren likes to do some shots with a certain cue other than his main playing cue. I have 3 playing cues and one is very low deflection so it is nice to use for a op break for it is more accurate, but the rest of the game can another cue be used, and/or on certain shots can you use another cue?

On jump shots it states; "that jump shots are allowed but can only be executed with your playing cue". I believe this is pretty straight forward pertaining to this one shot. For instance I could not grab a full length jump/break cue and use it, correct? thanks Whitey

i believe the majority of onepocket players would agree with your bolded statement above whitey
although i do believe i saw a dvd of efren and scott gambling where scott took a jump cue out
efren protested alittle but scott ended up using it
does any one remember what match that was ??

Knuckles54

Verified Member
From
Canyonville Oregon
i believe the majority of onepocket players would agree with your bolded statement above whitey
although i do believe i saw a dvd of efren and scott gambling where scott took a jump cue out
efren protested alittle but scott ended up using it
does any one remember what match that was ??

My experience is so minimal not sure I should say anything "but" what rules I have read and play by states OP is played with one cue only. But I too have seen OP tournaments where one of the pors , maybe Denice O swapped cues out several times depending on his shot.

beatle

Verified Member
when i gamble you get to play the game out with the cue you hit the first shot with. or a house cue in case you lose a tip or break it.
no jump shots allowed in one pocket period.

of course if i am robbing the guy he can do what he wants.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I play with a guy that has one of those 4 inch mid cue extensions. He would unscrew his stick put it on then take the shot and remove it. It took so long I told him to just put it on one of his other cues and use it when he needs it. So he uses 2 cues when he plays now. I really don't mind it in this instance.
I also use my break cue as a bridge but I am sure this would be ok by everyone.
Since jump cues are not allowed would anyone allow a masse shaft for certain shots?

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys, it appears this thread is not going to take off, so it appears that it is ok to swap out cues, just do not bring out a jump cue, as Frank posted. I now will feel ok about opting out for a different cue on some shots.

I brought up getting on the table when in action, and it sure was a site for sore eyes to see this once again at the Buffalo tourney. Thanks again, Whitey

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks guys, it appears this thread is not going to take off, so it appears that it is ok to swap out cues, just do not bring out a jump cue, as Frank posted. I now will feel ok about opting out for a different cue on some shots.

I brought up getting on the table when in action, and it sure was a site for sore eyes to see this once again at the Buffalo tourney. Thanks again, Whitey
BS. One cue. No specialty items or trick devices. Short of a player blowing off a tip. One cue. Period.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
BS. One cue. No specialty items or trick devices. Short of a player blowing off a tip. One cue. Period.

I like your "fire" and "conviction", and I am very ok with using one cue only to play out a game, for that is the root of how one pocket was played anyway, we all played with one cue.

I just really did not know and wanted to get an idea on this before the members tournament. See you guys there, and thanks for the posts! Whitey