2018 Memphis area onepocket.org Members Tournament

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
As some of you may know, several of us have been working behind the scenes to put on another members one pocket tournament this year. Most of us have made many friends on here and talk in private about one pocket, member tournaments, or just BS as friends. When my friend John Long called me last month and suggested having a local tournament with Dustin and several other members that couldn't attend the yearly tournament i was happy to pitch in. After talking with John, Dustin and reading other members concerns on here, we knew an additional, speedier 16 player format could be more inclusive for members to attend who are currently shut out because of time/expense/work/kids etc. Our main goal here is to finish each days play before 12:00am in order to accomplish this.

We want to assure everybody this tournament is not meant to be a rebutal, critisim or threat to the current yearly members tournament, just another opportunity to play pool and hang with member friends.

In closing we thank Steve Booth for his permission to use the onepocket.org name and sanctioning this members tournament along with all he does. Thanks Steve!
We would like to thank Bill Rowsey, Todd our local ground man and South Haven Rec Center for allowing us the use of their tables, donating greens fees along with Bill's personal starting bid of 400.00 for the first blind bid. Thanks Bill!
We also thank John & Jeannie Long for donating their time, Johns ideas for putting this together etc and Jeannies help running the brackets at the tournament .
Thanks also go out to Matt Hilton for his help with t-shirts yet again!
On a personal note I want to thank my co- tournament director Dustin Miller for working countless hours with me, creating a flier, taking members entries and helping make some hard decisions to make this all happen in a timely matter. Dustin will be posting a signup thread later today. Thanks buddy!

Attachments

• Melee In Memphis Flyer.JPG
    Melee In Memphis Flyer.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 0

chicagomike

Verified Member
As some of you may know, several of us have been working behind the scenes to put on another members one pocket tournament this year. Most of us have made many friends on here and talk in private about one pocket, member tournaments, or just BS as friends. When my friend John Long called me last month and suggested having a local tournament with Dustin and several other members that couldn't attend the yearly tournament i was happy to pitch in. After talking with John, Dustin and reading other members concerns on here, we knew an additional, speedier 16 player format could be more inclusive for members to attend who are currently shut out because of time/expense/work/kids etc. Our main goal here is to finish each days play before 12:00am in order to accomplish this.

We want to assure everybody this tournament is not meant to be a rebutal, critisim or threat to the current yearly members tournament, just another opportunity to play pool and hang with member friends.

In closing we thank Steve Booth for his permission to use the onepocket.org name and sanctioning this members tournament along with all he does. Thanks Steve!
We would like to thank Bill Rowsey, Todd our local ground man and South Haven Rec Center for allowing us the use of their tables, donating greens fees along with Bill's personal starting bid of 400.00 for the first blind bid. Thanks Bill!
We also thank John & Jeannie Long for donating their time, Johns ideas for putting this together etc and Jeannies help running the brackets at the tournament .
Thanks also go out to Matt Hilton for his help with t-shirts yet again!
On a personal note I want to thank my co- tournament director Dustin Miller for working countless hours with me, creating a flier, taking members entries and helping make some hard decisions to make this all happen in a timely matter. Dustin will be posting a signup thread later today. Thanks buddy!

Sounds great! Thanks Crabby, Dustin,Matt, and the Southhaven crew for all of your efforts...I'm looking forward to it!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cool idea John/Dustin! Since Mitch didn't have his Beast in the East this year, it's a good alternative for some more camaraderie and one hole! :)

As I told you both, I wish I could attend but so much up in the air for me right now, I can't commit! I know you ill fill up fast though and already know it will be a blast!

Good luck to all involved!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I wanted to let everybody know we had elected to use the Grady rule for this tournament at least two weeks before the California tournament started. The recent discussions had nothing to do with that decision. It was already made.;)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I wanted to let everybody know we had elected to use the Grady rule for this tournament at least two weeks before the California tournament started. The recent discussions had nothing to do with that decision. It was already made.;)

I only know how to play one pocket, one way. 15 balls on the table, scratches, you lose a ball or owe one. WTF is a Grady Rule except something the professionals used to play for one event. So if you don’t know how to play the Grady rule, you’re basically already at a disadvantage? I wish you would not call it a OP.Org tournament if you’re going to change the rules of one pocket. No where in the rules of one pocket is the “GRADY RULE”. I am a purist when it comes to one pocket. It is why I want to be a member of a group that has One Pocket in its name. The rules are clearly stated and any variation from the rules is not One Pocket. You really don’t want anyone except those that can drive going to the tournament with a two day event and a 3/2 format. I appreciate you wanting to have a members tournament but this tournament should not be associated with OP.Org if you’re going to change the rules of OP. Bastardization of the game tarnishes the name of OP.Org but I seem to be the only person that cares. Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I only know how to play one pocket, one way. 15 balls on the table, scratches, you lose a ball or owe one. WTF is a Grady Rule except something the professionals used to play for one event. So if you don’t know how to play the Grady rule, you’re basically already at a disadvantage? I wish you would not call it a OP.Org tournament if you’re going to change the rules of one pocket. No where in the rules of one pocket is the “GRADY RULE”. I am a purist when it comes to one pocket. It is why I want to be a member of a group that has One Pocket in its name. The rules are clearly stated and any variation from the rules is not One Pocket. You really don’t want anyone except those that can drive going to the tournament with a two day event and a 3/2 format. I appreciate you wanting to have a members tournament but this tournament should not be associated with OP.Org if you’re going to change the rules of OP. Bastardization of the game tarnishes the name of OP.Org but I seem to be the only person that cares. Have fun and enjoy yourselves.
Thanks for your input Bill:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Hey Bill, this looks like its a regional tourney (according to the flyer), similar to how Mitch put together the Beast in the East. IMO, it should be ok for anyone to organize a mini tournament or get together and invite members only to play in it and if they have specialized rules that all who are in the tourney agree upon, why not? For example, in the Beast tourney, they did a round robin format.

It's not like the main, official 32 man, onepocket.org tourney that happens once per year (in early June) and just finished at California Billiards. But it is another way for members to meet, get to know each other, enjoy the game, and have fun!

I can't speak for Steve but I think its a good thing to have more mini / regional tourneys throughout the year if people who can attend want to have them! It means more people are interested in playing our great game, why not let it happen? ;)

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO

It's not about not "wanting" - it's about having a reasonable expectation for a regional tournament on short notice. This was one of my personal expectations as I have stated on other threads. I pick vacation a year in advance - if the members tournament had been announced 4 days earlier last year, I would have been in Cali last weekend. Anyone is welcome to come & join in - and for our retired members who have this flexibility - looking forward to seeing you!

Regarding the Grady rule - I've never played by it - it will definitely be a learning experience. But what better format to judge effectiveness than a small gathering of friends who really just want to have each others company and play the game they love. As long as the rules are the same for each player it shouldn't matter. I'm not a fan of re-rack if making a ball on the break - but I'm still gonna play Derby City every year I'm able to! Wish you could be there Bill - people I respect say you're one hell of a guy and from what I heard on the stream this weekend I'd have to agree. Just wish the keyboard version had the same sunny disposition.

John

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It's not about not "wanting" - it's about having a reasonable expectation for a regional tournament on short notice. This was one of my personal expectations as I have stated on other threads. I pick vacation a year in advance - if the members tournament had been announced 4 days earlier last year, I would have been in Cali last weekend. Anyone is welcome to come & join in - and for our retired members who have this flexibility - looking forward to seeing you!

Regarding the Grady rule - I've never played by it - it will definitely be a learning experience. But what better format to judge effectiveness than a small gathering of friends who really just want to have each others company and play the game they love. As long as the rules are the same for each player it shouldn't matter. I'm not a fan of re-rack if making a ball on the break - but I'm still gonna play Derby City every year I'm able to! Wish you could be there Bill - people I respect say you're one hell of a guy and from what I heard on the stream this weekend I'd have to agree. Just wish the keyboard version had the same sunny disposition.

John

I was just stating a fact, not a cricism. My sunny disposition doesn’t come off so well in print because sometimes I get too frustrated with things. I’m trying to control it. I actually had to take a break from the site because I got too wound up. Same when I got home. I had a great time even though it was costly in many ways, and I was extremely disappointed to read so much criticism from people who wouldn’t go. It busted my high from the tournament and trip. My only problem with the name of the tournament is using OP.Org in the title as if it were one of the purist forms of one pocket that I support. Mitch’s tournament was The Beast in the East tournament. That’s my only contention and I explained it. I am all for having tournaments for OP.Org but if it’s not a strict interpretation of one pocket rules, it should have another name associated. I usually give my opinion on things pretty straight forward and I’m not a sugar coated type of guy, sorry. I’ve tried but my humor doesn’t translate. See? Thanks for your bringing it up.

tdietrich1972

Verified Member
From
crabbcat - we'll have to get together when I get back from Vegas & you can show me & John how the Grady rule will work. Looking forward to playing you again.

Tracy

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Entries

Entries

Entry Rev 15.JPG

Alternate List:
1. gulfportdoc (withdrawal)
2. woody07 (currently not eligible)
3. LSJohn (withdrawal)
4. JoeyA (withdrawal)
5. rnewkirk (entry 9/12/18)

$100 Entry (Outstanding entries to be collected at tournament)

Paypal:
dsfmiller@yahoo.com

Check:
Dustin Miller
1117 Lucca Court
Caseyville, IL 62232
(618) 554-0710

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
2018 Memphis area onepocket.org Members Tournament

I hate sitting on the sidelines. Put me in, coach. I’ll send my pmt tonight.