Fremont trip

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I've finally got enough energy to write a few word about my trip to Fremont Ca. I wasn't sure that I would be able to make trip until a couple of weeks before the start. My health issues were very unpredictable. I am glad that I was able to go. I had planed to drive there like I have many times before but my wife said no and booked me a flight there. Less than one hour in the air was just fine instead of five hours of driving.

What a blast I had even though it wore me out completely. On the final day I took my cue expecting that I would keep my self busy playing a bit but when I got to the tournament room I realized I was drained and just kicked back watching matches. It took me until today to recover to write this.

What a great group of members we have and I so enjoyed meeting and playing a few of you.

Congratulations to Jim on winning the tournament (I'm getting ready for you Jim), and to Jerry for his fine showing again and of course to Dave Gross for his fine playing.

A couple of my most memorable times was playing with Knuckels (Mitch). What a gentleman and fine player he is. Thanks for the bus token Mitch and I will treasure it and display it in my home room. Also sitting with me for a good while engaging in some one pocket conversation was Tom Wirth and also sitting with me in the booth commentating one of the matches. A bundle of knowledge this man has.( He should write a book). And thanks to everyone that made the trip. It was nice to put a face to the names.
Another person I felt that was the life of the party was Mitch Brown, a man with a bundle of personality and energy that seems to flow right to who ever he is around, Oh yea, a shout out to Kentucky for his love of the game.

I'm looking forward to meeting more members in Houston this coming October.

Knuckles54

Verified Member
From
Canyonville Oregon
I've finally got enough energy to write a few word about my trip to Fremont Ca. I wasn't sure that I would be able to make trip until a couple of weeks before the start. My health issues were very unpredictable. I am glad that I was able to go. I had planed to drive there like I have many times before but my wife said no and booked me a flight there. Less than one hour in the air was just fine instead of five hours of driving.

What a blast I had even though it wore me out completely. On the final day I took my cue expecting that I would keep my self busy playing a bit but when I got to the tournament room I realized I was drained and just kicked back watching matches. It took me until today to recover to write this.

What a great group of members we have and I so enjoyed meeting and playing a few of you.

Congratulations to Jim on winning the tournament (I'm getting ready for you Jim), and to Jerry for his fine showing again and of course to Dave Gross for his fine playing.

A couple of my most memorable times was playing with Knuckels (Mitch). What a gentleman and fine player he is. Thanks for the bus token Mitch and I will treasure it and display it in my home room. Also sitting with me for a good while engaging in some one pocket conversation was Tom Wirth and also sitting with me in the booth commentating one of the matches. A bundle of knowledge this man has.( He should write a book). And thanks to everyone that made the trip. It was nice to put a face to the names.
Another person I felt that was the life of the party was Mitch Brown, a man with a bundle of personality and energy that seems to flow right to who ever he is around, Oh yea, a shout out to Kentucky for his love of the game.

Frank you showed me what I thought .org members were all about, helpful, kind and encouraging. Your very unselfish and I’m so glad I got to meet you. I will make a point to cross paths again..... later knuckles

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Duplicate sorry

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Frank it was a pleasure meeting you and the short time we spent on the stream together. Somebody mentioned to me that you play great for your age...I responded with "he plays great for any age".

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

One week Frank. I’ll see you around 2pm Wednesday.
Jerry, you get me on Thursday. Let me know what time works for you.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Fremont trip

It was so nice to finally meet you, Frank! I knew you were a great player, but hadn’t realized what a kind soul and gentleman you are as well. The pleasure was truly mine!! You classed up the whole joint!! :). Next time we will play on the first day 😊

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank, you're a class act, period, on and off the table. I love watching you play I love your patience which shows in your game at all the right times and it has influenced my shot selection many times for the better. I'm sorry to hear that playing wears on you and stops you from playing regularly I k ow how much you love to play. I have watched you play for over 50 years you have always been relevant and I hope that you can muster up the energy and whatever else it takes to get you back at the table.

Good luck Frank, looking forward to seeing you in Houston.

Dr. Bill

RedCard

Verified Member
Play

Play

Frank,
It was good to get to see you play again. The first time was a few years ago on a streamed tournament (tournaments now abound, not sure which it was). I was struck by how easy-going you were and how well you played as you cruised around the table.

Looking forward to watching again, maybe in Houston.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Thanks Frank, I love the game too much. Playing with just one eye was probably one of my biggest pool mistakes ever, but I do love the game. It’s a sickness.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks, Mr. deBarber. You are a credit to our sport and so glad we had a chance to meet. Wish we could have visited longer but that will happen next time.

Dave

jay helfert

Verified Member

I'm glad you could make it up there Frank. Like you, that long drive is too much for me anymore, but the one hour flight to San Jose airport was a piece of cake. I wasn't too happy about drawing you in the first round and just made up my mind to do my best and see what happens. Three and a half hours later I squeaked out a 3-2 victory thanks a successful five rail bank in the case game. That was the highlight of the weekend for me, finally winning a match against you. :)

As always, you're a class act Frank, win or lose. I've been very fortunate to have spent so much time around you and Jerry and John Henderson all these years. Three great guys who all play jam up Pool! I'm just glad we can all swing a cue now and then. I'd love to visit your place some time for our rematch. Maybe sometime in July will work for both of us. I'm kind of committed to going back to California Billiards with my buddy Dennis Orcullo, but after that I'm free.

I want to come out your way to visit Morro as well. Rest up and I'll see you soon.