How are you improving your game?

chicagomike

Verified Member
Lately I have really been trying to commit to improving my eye alignment over my cue. I think my inconsistent alignment, lack of good follow through, unstable bridge hand, and lifting up while stroking are all things I can improve on and that will help my pool game. I’ve been trying to practice ladder drills and also been throwing 5-6 balls on the table to pocket in one hole.

I’m looking for more ways to improve my 1p game.

What are you doing to improve your game? Some may be satisfied with their level of play and that’s all good. I mean really improve...I’m not talking about just playing an opponent to practice. Also I’ve heard people say that gambling will improve your game and I believe that to a certain point, but it will only get you so far.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Lately I have really been trying to commit to improving my eye alignment over my cue. I think my inconsistent alignment, lack of good follow through, unstable bridge hand, and lifting up while stroking are all things I can improve on and that will help my pool game. I’ve been trying to practice ladder drills and also been throwing 5-6 balls on the table to pocket in one hole.

What are you doing to improve your game? Some may be satisfied with their level of play and that’s all good. I mean really improve...I’m not talking about just playing an opponent to practice. Also I’ve heard people say that gambling will improve your game and I believe that to a certain point, but it will only get you so far.
Mike, when i was playing a loti would go home and try to think about the things that caused me to lose. im not talking about missing a straight on shot with ball in hand. no im talking about errors that allowed my opponent to take control of that particular game. i decided i would bring a small note pad and every time i made of of those error i would write it down so i could avoid them in the future. after a couple of weeks i could see there were certain leaks in my game that appeared over and over again. soon at the table i began to see potential errors before i shot and i was able to avoid that type of error right there at the table. i don't know if this will help you but it made a big difference to my game. DR K

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Most of my problems come with not running the patterns to get the maximum number of balls when I get a shot. So when I am rusty or haven't been playing, I just play straight pool with myself. Shoot, shoot, shoot, break up clusters, get on the right side of balls. Three days of that and my ball running skyrockets.

Joe

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Lately I have really been trying to commit to improving my eye alignment over my cue.
Me too. It's helped a lot with my shotmaking consistency, and an unexpected bonus is that focusing so intently on that visual (particularly tip/CB) is also a good "trigger" for focusing in general.

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
mike
what is a ladder drill ?
for me i am back to improving my cueing fundamentals ?
and trying to master certain banks and kicks

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
mike
how are you going about improving your eye alignment
i will pm you my cell # if you want to talk about it
larry

Henry

Verified Member

Most of my practice time is focusing on my stroke. Jimmy Moore told me the stroke is the boss it determines how well you play. The main thing with a stroke is to have confidence in your stroke. In my experience when my stroke is working and I am confident the game is easy. If I only missed when I didn't line up correctly I could beat anybody. It all really comes down to focus and confidence. Most shots are missed because of lack of confidence or good fundamentals. I lost my confidence for years when I went to work but I am getting it back now and it has been a long hard road. My advise is to figure out how to develop confidence and once you have it never let it go. My friend Zeke gave me great advise stay down and follow thru

chicagomike

Verified Member
Mike, when i was playing a loti would go home and try to think about the things that caused me to lose. im not talking about missing a straight on shot with ball in hand. no im talking about errors that allowed my opponent to take control of that particular game. i decided i would bring a small note pad and every time i made of of those error i would write it down so i could avoid them in the future. after a couple of weeks i could see there were certain leaks in my game that appeared over and over again. soon at the table i began to see potential errors before i shot and i was able to avoid that type of error right there at the table. i don't know if this will help you but it made a big difference to my game. DR K

I like this...I’m a good note taker!

youngstown

Verified Member

Have you ever had a stroke mechanics lesson?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Try taking a step or less back with your rear foot on long shots, it gives you a little different look. Might help your alignment, hopefully.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
For me, I've been focusing on a slow, smooth backswing that is the same for any speed of shot. It does seem to help. But I'm not certain if that's because doing this makes me focus more generally or if it's really the slow backswing. Probably some of both and if the results are good, I guess it doesn't really matter!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
For me, I've been focusing on a slow, smooth backswing that is the same for any speed of shot. It does seem to help. But I'm not certain if that's because doing this makes me focus more generally or if it's really the slow backswing. Probably some of both and if the results are good, I guess it doesn't really matter!

slow backswing /pause/and smooth acceleration
is ALMOST orgasmic........:heh

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I spend hours working on mechanics and pre-shot routine. biggest thing for me is pausing in my back stroke and focusing on point of contact. one other thing I have been trying recently is what I see amar and tony doing which is standing up on every shot before they pull the trigger on it. I am not decided on how good the standing up is yet but seems worth trying as they are both great executioners

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
When you're practicing and start on a run for a particular pocket you need to really focus to do everything right on every shot.
Everyone has their shot routine and system for aiming. We're all different and do thing our ways but the one thing everyone needs to do is to give your full attention to every shot.
Many times when we practice we will miss a routine shot and just drop that ball with our stick as if we made it and continue shooting.
If we're going to miss let it be on a shot that's more than routine. Don't be lazy and take shots for granted and say to yourself that you would have made it if you had really tried. That's being lazy.
You will play like you practice.

El Chapo

Verified Member
One way to improve your game that doesn't often get mentioned is to take time off. Who knows why or what the hell, but taking some serious time off and getting back in there full force can be the most devistating way to improve i think.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas

After I get down over a shot I keep my feet in place and stand up to re-evaluate the shot and with my feet in place get down over the shot and shoot. For whatever reason re-evaluating gives me a different perspective and removes any doubt I might have at my initial decision.