Shane shooting

OldSchool

Verified Member
At 44:00 in this video check out the shot that Shane shoots to break up the stack and continue his run of balls. what a great shot and stroke, with no reward. How many players would load up with inside english and hit that shot that good.

Old School

Last edited:

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
You think he meant to go two rails before going into the stack? I'm not so sure. He might have just meant to go the one rail with an eye towards banking something back towards his hole. Def nice stroke!

Cory in dc

Verified Member
You think he meant to go two rails before going into the stack? I'm not so sure. He might have just meant to go the one rail with an eye towards banking something back towards his hole. Def nice stroke!

Exactly the question. If he meant 2 rails, and he just might have, then it was an amazing shot and bad luck to not get more from there. Still, he got a pretty good outcome--balls on his side and good, protecting safe options.

That said, I was surprised by Shane's followup shot. Seemed pretty obvious to hit the 15 and draw the cueball into the 14.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
because of the speed of the shot
i think he meant to hit it as pictured
to go one rail into the stack at that speed would have opend up the balls in the wrong direction
usually i see players "tickle" the top of the cluster to loosen things up rather than blast
to answer your question oldschool
yes great stroke (the cue ball seemed to bend off the first rail )
no i wouldnt be playing it that way....:)
jmho
icbw

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I definitely agree with larry -- he meant to hit the stack off the second rail like he did, but maybe a little higher in the stack to get a better chance at a follow up shot.

You can see he hit that with a nice top/right stroke, sufficient to put a pretty good curve on the cue ball path right after the first cushion. That is a shot and stroke and position track you see good players use sometimes to get around an obstacle. I think I have succeeded using that about twice in my life. It sure felt good when I succeeded :D:D

unoperro

Verified Member
It was a nice shot.

Tickling the top of the stack prob was a better option. As 14.1 players know, this often results in a scratch in the side. But the side was covered up and hitting that ball may have helped him.

Regardless it was a piss poor follow up.

Hard to believe Tony couldnt see his scratch?

SVB missing w ball in hand? Further proof of what I have said about SVB playing bad against T Rex.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Two rails cross, is a common shot for a great rotation player. Cole Dixon, Rempe, Marino, Richie Florence, Bob O., Searcy....those kinda players, eat those shots up when they smooth out. to keep the ball down table.

Henry

Verified Member
I had Tony Chohan make the same shot on me except he used outside English and the cue ball had inside on it when it hit the second rail. An intimidating shot

unoperro

Verified Member
I had Tony Chohan make the same shot on me except he used outside English and the cue ball had inside on it when it hit the second rail. An intimidating shot

Drinking while playing produces some funny things:sorry

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

But....if the cue ball is above the cut ball, 12 o'clock high will do the same thing, tho.....''not in a looping/bending/curving manner (unless it's excessive)....some inside spin is applied and allot of cue ball squirt going on. The loop that occurred coming off the first rail towards the second rail is all about understanding the feel of the plastics colliding and the results as cue ball speed is increased. It's all feel and practice, and muscle memory....

unoperro

Verified Member
But....if the cue ball is above the cut ball, 12 o'clock high will do the same thing, tho.....''not in a looping/bending/curving manner (unless it's excessive)....some inside spin is applied and allot of cue ball squirt going on. The loop that occurred coming off the first rail towards the second rail is all about understanding the feel of the plastics colliding and the results as cue ball speed is increased. It's all feel and practice, and muscle memory....

When at the members trnmnt in Chicago the 3 cushion champion showed ,me and a aspiring 3c player, how to hit the shot. His description of what was happening wasnt spot on but he believed it, and was very proficient at the shot!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
When at the members trnmnt in Chicago the 3 cushion champion showed ,me and a aspiring 3c player, how to hit the shot. His description of what was happening wasnt spot on but he believed it, and was very proficient at the shot!

Keep in mind, billiard balls are a different size, and the cloth is different.

Henry

Verified Member

There are only 2 ways to hit this shot one is with high center and the other is with high outside English. Inside brings you into the stack off the first rail.

unoperro

Verified Member
There are only 2 ways to hit this shot one is with high center and the other is with high outside English. Inside brings you into the stack off the first rail.

No you hit it with high right. Mainly high, not too much right.The right does 2 things.
1 Allows you to hit the object ball a little thicker. I will explain this benefit in a second.
2 Allows the cueball to bend/direct towards the stack.

The benefit is the key. The harder you hit a shot the further whitey goes along the tangent line. Hitting the ball thicker also increases the deflection. In other words whitey hits further uptable before it comes back downtable.

Last edited:

Henry

Verified Member
No you hit it with high right. Mainly high, not too much right.The right does 2 things.
1 Allows you to hit the object ball a little thicker. I will explain this benefit in a second.
2 Allows the cueball to bend/direct towards the stack.

The benefit is the key. The harder you hit a shot the further whitey goes along the tangent line. Hitting the ball thicker also increases the deflection. In other words whitey hits further uptable before it comes back downtable.

That is interesting