Member sent me a PM...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
A member in very good standing sent me a PM regarding this type of, 'kick shot' in one pocket.

Your opponent has a ball within 0.5 diamonds of his pocket, you want to kick that ball accurately and safely towards your pocket.

Here's his Pm to me, with diagram.

View attachment 23373

bill
this shot comes up alot in onepocket
where if you can kick bank it to your hole
its a strong shot since the cue ball goes up table on his side
i showed several cue ball positions
i could have shown several object ball positions
is there a system to figure out where to hit the short rail to make the bank ??
i am just hitting those by feel with not enough success rate yet to make me happy.

Here is my reply to him, with also explanation and diagram.

View attachment 23374

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I think this has to become a standard shot in ones armory. Given the fact that players now love to snooker you from seeing that object ball on the rail. I like to use a little low outside on the cue ball to make the object ball go flat and kill the rock a little going up towards the kitchen at the same time.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for the diagram and explanation bill
the mirror system is very usefull to know
and accurate in my experience
question to everybody
since i use alot of systems with numbers
does any one have a "numbers " system to calculate where to aim and
what if any spin to use to hit this kick bank well?
this particular shot has been one that i have not come across a numbers system for
pm ok
i would appreciate it....:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think this has to become a standard shot in ones armory. Given the fact that players now love to snooker you from seeing that object ball on the rail. I like to use a little low outside on the cue ball to make the object ball go flat and kill the rock a little going up towards the kitchen at the same time.
thanks for sharing that keoneyo

beatle

Verified Member
you want an angle that you can perfectly see. that only comes with center ball no english. this way you can hit the spot on the object ball more precisely.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
you want an angle that you can perfectly see. that only comes with center ball no english. this way you can hit the spot on the object ball more precisely.

How do,'You' determine the correct angle to aim into the 1st rail with center ball to contact the OB perfectly on the correct side not to, 'double kiss'!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This reminds me of the old Grady video tape I watched where he explains the mirror system..good stuff for any pool game you play.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This reminds me of the old Grady video tape I watched where he explains the mirror system..good stuff for any pool game you play.

Thanks Cincy!

I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic. The room was having the Grand Opening and he invited Mike Massey, Grady and myself to put on clinics & trick shot exhibitions.

Grady and I had always been close friends for many years, he as I did him, respected each others knowledge of are chosen games. While there that weekend, I collaborated and advised Grady on several systems he chose to share with the pool community. He as Freddy was, were GREAT students of the cue games till the end, as I will be myself!

Mike and I have also been friends, not close, but friends. He appeared doing the, Pool Artistic' shots and I the Carom Artistic. Grady opened up the day with his clinic, it was GREAT! I then came on in the late afternoon and did my exhibition, it went just as well! Mike was to highlight the evening with His Pool Trick shots. He and Grady both stayed in the afternoon to watch my show. After it was over, both Grady and mike congratulated me such a professional performance. I was very happy to have their appreciation.

Some minutes after the crowd settled down form the 3C show, Mike pulled me over to the side and constantly kept asking me, "How do you get so much action on the CB, and hardly ever hit the cue ball with a lot of force." I told him, "80% of it is, 'Natural ability' and the proper 'old school' instruction by a master!" But also, my discovery of multiple differently applied strokes/tempos and speeds, and the most important lesson, is to KNOW when to use them." He was very grateful, and proceeded to incorporate some of the info I shared with that afternoon in the evening show, BTW, I thought it was pretty ballsy to try techniques He had just learned.

I went off on a tangent, but, the Grady mention, brought back that fond memory.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Thanks Cincy!

I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic. The room was having the Grand Opening and he invited Mike Massey, Grady and myself to put on clinics & trick shot exhibitions.

Grady and I had always been close friends for many years, he as I did him, respected each others knowledge of are chosen games. While there that weekend, I collaborated and advised Grady on several systems he chose to share with the pool community. He as Freddy was, were GREAT students of the cue games till the end, as I will be myself!

Mike and I have also been friends, not close, but friends. He appeared doing the, Pool Artistic' shots and I the Carom Artistic. Grady opened up the day with his clinic, it was GREAT! I then came on in the late afternoon and did my exhibition, it went just as well! Mike was to highlight the evening with His Pool Trick shots. He and Grady both stayed in the afternoon to watch my show. After it was over, both Grady and mike congratulated me such a professional performance. I was very happy to have their appreciation.

Some minutes after the crowd settled down form the 3C show, Mike pulled me over to the side and constantly kept asking me, "How do you get so much action on the CB, and hardly ever hit the cue ball with a lot of force." I told him, "80% of it is, 'Natural ability' and the proper 'old school' instruction by a master!" But also, my discovery of multiple differently applied strokes/tempos and speeds, and the most important lesson, is to KNOW when to use them." He was very grateful, and proceeded to incorporate some of the info I shared with that afternoon in the evening show, BTW, I thought it was pretty ballsy to try techniques He had just learned.

Great story Bill, thanks for sharing! Yea, that Grady video had some other nice tid bits in it as well! Maybe one day we will get you to share your 'old school' instruction by a master technique of getting so much action on the CB with such little force! :)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Great story Bill, thanks for sharing! Yea, that Grady video had some other nice tid bits in it as well! Maybe one day we will get you to share your 'old school' instruction by a master technique of getting so much action on the CB with such little force! :)

You can see it, here in these two videos. Notice the one thing I do or don't do on all the the artistic shots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvxNUWPjBg&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuBXBjnuIc&t=841s

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Thanks Cincy!

You are the MAN, man. :) Thanks for giving back to the game.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I guess I'm going to have to find an old master somewhere and sit at his knee to learn how to apply that force action and spin. I watched your amazing shots on those videos and I'm really none the wiser, maybe just more befuddled. All I can see is that your back stroke is short, almost Allen Hopkins short, but I'm not able to slow it down enough to see how far through the ball you are stroking it, much less exactly where on the cue ball you are contacting it with your tip. I learned a few things in the 90's from the relatively unsung Eddie _______, an older Mexican player who I'd play with at Hollywood in San Francisco, but he never taught me this stuff. Thanks for sharing these videos, Bill, and any other secrets you're willing to reveal to the inquiring minds here on 1p.org.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic.

Bill. I'm not sure if you were friends with John Holic but I recently learned that he passed away a couple of weeks ago. Apparently he lived by himself, was sickly, and during a "well being" check was found dead by a family member.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The one thing I see Bill is that you don't use a lot of force as quoted...very nice action you get there, whats the secret? :)