WWYD - Early-Game Situation #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
    If it looks like I can slow roll the CB into the 3 to 6 combo, pushing the 6 towards my hole whilst also leaving the CB buried at the top of the stack without pushing that pinkish ball in to an open position for my opponent or exposing the 2 ball, that’s what I’d do, I wouldn’t even mind taking a scratch so long as I could free up the 6 near my pocket.
    Yep. Safe, productive and simple to cue from far away on the rail.

pj
    chgo

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
      Maybe something like this to get balls to your side? Using a bit of left spin.
      [ATTACH]23415[/ATTACH]
      Bingo! (IMO) and it might be even better if the CB catches the 8 coming off the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
        frank generally makes very good picks. so its like cheating to follow his.
        Hey there young fella... you agreeing with it only makes it stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
          Yep. Safe, productive and simple to cue from far away on the rail.

pj
          chgo
          I have no doubt this is what I'd choose at the table.

Comment

Originally posted by OneRock View Post
            Your opponent broke the balls and left you this situation after exchanging a few safeties. You have no balls in a threatening position, and you're liable to lose this game unless you start thinking outside the box.

The solution that our player opted for is the type of shot that makes One-Pocket the exciting and elegant game that it is. In my book, this player is one of the most creative players of our time.
            Play the 15ball into the 1ball and move balls in that fashion. For certain you will move the 15 and 1ball, two balls that are huge balls for your opponent. In the process, you may just move several other balls to your side and completely reverse the position.

Dr. Bill

Comment

My two favorite choices have already been posted: 1) playing cue ball into top of stack and moving the six by my pocket because it looks pretty easy to execute or 2) playing the 7 off of the 2 ball with soft to medium speed and controlling cue ball.

Tried to think of a couple crazy options just for fun: play 7 with speed off the right of the 2 (from our perspective) banking it to my side and sending cue ball into the stack moving balls toward my pocket or 2) kicking 2 rails into bottom of stack if 6 was dead off the 10 only by hitting it that side of the stack... fun but don't think 6 sits quite right and situation not desperate enough yet...

Curious to see what the player shoots!

Andy K.

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                Play the 15ball into the 1ball and move balls in that fashion. For certain you will move the 15 and 1ball, two balls that are huge balls for your opponent. In the process, you may just move several other balls to your side and completely reverse the position.

Dr. Bill
                just a question but I would usually like this shot but it seems like I would have to cut the 15 on the right side which seems like it might kiss which pushed me away from it. just wondering if I am seeing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by andyk View Post
                  My two favorite choices have already been posted: 1) playing cue ball into top of stack and moving the six by my pocket because it looks pretty easy to execute or 2) playing the 7 off of the 2 ball with soft to medium speed and controlling cue ball.

Tried to think of a couple crazy options just for fun: play 7 with speed off the right of the 2 (from our perspective) banking it to my side and sending cue ball into the stack moving balls toward my pocket or 2) kicking 2 rails into bottom of stack if 6 was dead off the 10 only by hitting it that side of the stack... fun but don't think 6 sits quite right and situation not desperate enough yet...

Curious to see what the player shoots!

Andy K.
                  Andy, as usual we think alike. keith

Comment

I saw this option too, Frank. I do like it and I might have gone for it if this had been my game.

Good shot.

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
                    Maybe something like this to get balls to your side? Using a bit of left spin.
                    [ATTACH]23415[/ATTACH]

Comment

Funny you mention it, Billy. It's the same option you suggested during your commentary many years ago. But that's not the shot our player opted for.

Originally posted by wincardona View Post

Dr. Bill

Comment

it looks to me like you can jack up and shoot the 15 into the 1 and sort of float forward a bit.

Comment

Funny you mention it, Billy. It's the same option you suggested during your commentary many years ago. But that's not the shot our player opted for.
                          i cant find a shot that hasnt been mentioned
                          look forward to what "our player opted for"

Comment

haven't read the replies yet but since my CB is on or close to the rail, I cant do a lot and get fancy. I am going to roll the 4 ball straight ahead with high english.

The 4 ball caroms off the 2 and goes towards my hole while the 2 banks off the foot rail and back up the table some while the CB rolls forward towards the foot rail have the 1 and 8 as blockers.

Comment

2011 US Open One Pocket - Efren Reyes vs. Corey Deuel...

Corey looked long and hard at his options while the commentators were debating the merits of the 15-1 option. Corey played a magnificent shot by cutting the 15 towards his hole at pocket speed. He figured he'll leave the CB behind those two balls by the foot rail, or better yet, buried in the stack.

https://youtu.be/6BhXUnwwMhg?t=302

Comment

2011 US Open One Pocket - Efren Reyes vs. Corey Deuel...

Corey looked long and hard at his options while the commentators were debating the merits of the 15-1 option. Corey played a magnificent shot by cutting the 15 towards his hole at pocket speed. He figured he'll leave the CB behind those two balls by the foot rail, or better yet, buried in the stack.

https://youtu.be/6BhXUnwwMhg?t=302
                                Long and hard is right...Corey took more than 2 minutes to pull the trigger on that shot. From the picture we could see, it didn't look (to me) that the 15 could get past the stack. If we had all been able to see that the shot was available, some of us might have selected that shot. Good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X