WWYD - Early-Game Situation #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD - Early-Game Situation #3

Your opponent broke the balls and left you this situation after exchanging a few safeties. You have no balls in a threatening position, and you're liable to lose this game unless you start thinking outside the box.

The solution that our player opted for is the type of shot that makes One-Pocket the exciting and elegant game that it is. In my book, this player is one of the most creative players of our time.
    Attached Files

I would shoot the 7 into the edge of the 8 sending it towards my hole and whitey back up behind the 1

Comment

I like the 7/2 carom.

Comment

If the 3 thru 6 combo does not kiss in off the 9 ball, I like One Pocket Guy's shot. Even though shooting from the head rail, it shouldn't be a dangerous shot-- unless it's hit too full, and scratches.. The rearrangement of the 8 & 1 balls should preclude a return cross corner bank.

~Doc

Comment

Interesting situation.

If it looks like I can slow roll the CB into the 3 to 6 combo, pushing the 6 towards my hole whilst also leaving the CB buried at the top of the stack without pushing that pinkish ball in to an open position for my opponent or exposing the 2 ball, that’s what I’d do, I wouldn’t even mind taking a scratch so long as I could free up the 6 near my pocket.

If it just doesn’t lie right for that to be a safe shot, I’d look long and hard at coming off that pinkish ball with intent to strike the top of the 2 ball with speed to leave the CB near the long rail. This shot would open something up on my side, and a return bank would become risky for my opponent. This shot doesn’t work if I can’t get to the top of the 2 ball.

I don’t like trying to control the 7 ball off the 8 since it doesn’t do much,

If desperate, I might consider kicking at the 1 ball and just pushing it towards the 2 and letting the CB slide down somewhere between the 1st and 2nd diamonds.

Comment

One for the gophers

It looks tight but I think you could get to it. Kick bank the 8 into the 9/6. The 9 looks like it isn't frozen to the 6 but if hit it would have a hard time missing the pocket.

Well, you did say creative.
            "If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown

Comment

I'd come off the right side of the ball by the side pocket driven it into the 3 sending the 6 to my hole. The cue ball travels in-behind the 1/8.
              I do not believe many balls will move within the stack if the 3 is contacted properly. Whitey

Comment

Im sending the 7 (brown ball) into the stack lightly. Bring whitey down on the short rail on my opponents side. Trying to go between the 2 and the stack with the cue ball is dangerous as well as trying to hit the 8 ball with the 7. This way you can full concentrate on cue ball control. Being on the top rail can lead to errors trying to do too much.

Comment

I might take a foul on the end rail over by the right hand pocket leaving him straight in on the brown ball

Comment

You are right, he is very creative - and I recognized this pattern. Saw it just yesterday. I doubt anyone will spot his shot here. This is a hill - hill game, and the end is classic.
                    If it ain't funny, it ain't much.

Comment

I am either playing off the 1 or the 7 to get below the 5 . The 7 would be my ideal choice of ball to move as the one is serving as a good blocker right now but I think the one affords a better angle to get deep between the 5 and 9

Comment

on the more creative side it appears you can carom off the 15 to hit the three full to move the 6 to your pocket and stick the rock or what whitey said I just saw

Comment

Maybe something like this to get balls to your side? Using a bit of left spin.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Something like this.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	399959

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
                            Maybe something like this to get balls to your side? Using a bit of left spin.
                            [ATTACH]23415[/ATTACH]
                            I like that shot Frank, although I probably would not shoot it because of the cue ball and some double kiss that might happen with the two. More than like likely, i would shoot an easy safe being on the rail and all.
                            Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

Comment

i was just about to post franks shot so its mine also. it is the real winning shot there without just getting lucky.
                              and frank generally makes very good picks. so its like cheating to follow his.

Comment

Working...
                              X