Testing your stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
    Does it look like "I", 'semi-masse' the CB? I did not! The cue is slightly, 'elevated' because of the CB being frozen to it!
    Yes, and that's how I shot it too. But even the minimum elevation needed here causes some swerve, especially at the controlled speed needed. One of the difficulties for me is overcoming the urge to hit it harder, within my speed comfort zone for shots like this.

pj
    chgo

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
      Yes, and that's how I shot it too. But even the minimum elevation needed here causes some swerve, especially at the controlled speed needed. One of the difficulties for me is overcoming the urge to hit it harder, within my speed comfort zone for shots like this.

pj
      chgo
      So Patty, is it your contention, that if I move the CB off the cushion 4" or 5" that I have to elevate the cue in order to make the shot as shown here? BTW, going into the OB at the SAME angle! I smell a bet on my side coming! If I'm forced to, I might bet I can run into the, 'frozen ball after 1 rail!'

Comment

Here's the photo from Patty, I drew thew lines of attack into the CB and the carom into the 1st rail, then the huge swing to the corner pocket!

[ATTACH]23434[/ATTACH]
        The cue ball in the actual shot looks to be sitting higher on the rail than you have it diagramed. If it were actually placed where you have it diagramed I don’t think there is any way you could contact the frozen ball first with a level cue while 5-6 inches off the rail. Keep in mind you would have to keep the same angle to the OB though. 5-6 inches off the rail means more straight in of a shot....wouldn’t it?
        Live long and play strong,
        -Chicagomike

Comment

So Patty,
          What's with the "Patty" stuff? Did I make a mistake calling you Billy? I thought that's what people call you. Sorry if not.

I'll enjoy (and learn from) any demonstration you want to show us, but I'll pass on the drama, thanks.

pj
          chgo

Comment

What's with the "Patty" stuff? Did I make a mistake calling you Billy? I thought that's what people call you. Sorry if not.

I'll enjoy (and learn from) any demonstration you want to show us, but I'll pass on the drama, thanks.

pj
            chgo
            You did! It's is and was reserved for my family and close friends! I've never even been formally introduced to you! Now you know!

I enjoy instructing! I've been doing it since 1986-87.
            Last edited by mr3cushion; 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagomike View Post
              The cue ball in the actual shot looks to be sitting higher on the rail than you have it diagramed. If it were actually placed where you have it diagramed I don’t think there is any way you could contact the frozen ball first with a level cue while 5-6 inches off the rail. Keep in mind you would have to keep the same angle to the OB though. 5-6 inches off the rail means more straight in of a shot....wouldn’t it?
              Mike, this is an actual still from the video, the CB is frozen to cushion, 1 ball to the left of the 3rd diamond! What diagram? I mentioned I would keep the SAME angle into the OB!

Comment

Mike, this is an actual still from the video, the CB is frozen to cushion, 1 ball to the left of the 3rd diamond! What diagram? I mentioned I would keep the SAME angle into the OB!
                Your diagram of the location of balls and angles in post #14
                -Chicagomike

Comment

You did! It's is and was reserved for my family and close friends! I've never even been formally introduced to you! Now you know!

I enjoy instructing! I've been doing it since 1986-87.
                  Though we never had occasion to talk, I saw you many times in the 90s at Chris's. Does that earn me a Bill?

pj
                  chgo

Comment

You're digram of the location of balls and angles in post #14
                    I think the masse effect helps swerve the CB and assists in getting that type of action on the CB. I think 5-6 inches closer and it cannot be done. Just my thought...I'm sure you will try it at the table. Anxious to hear how it goes!!!!
                    -Chicagomike

Comment

You're digram of the location of balls and angles in post #14
                      Mike, once again! ! He screen shot it from my video! No trickery!!!

Go back and watch the video! YOU will see the starting position of the balls! As "I" diagrammed them in post #14!

Here's the photo from Patty, I drew the lines of attack into the CB and the carom into the 1st rail, then the huge swing to the corner pocket!

[ATTACH]23434[/ATTACH]

Comment

Though we never had occasion to talk, I saw you many times in the 90s at Chris's. Does that earn me a Bill?

pj
                        chgo
                        If it was, it was from, August of 1992-2004.

Comment

Mike, once again! ! He screen shot it from my video! No trickery!!!

Go back and watch the video! YOU will see the starting position of the balls! As "I" diagrammed them in post #14!

Using the starting point in the video I don't think it can be done from 5-6 inches in from the rail with a level cue.
                          -Chicagomike

Comment

Regardless it is a very good and difficult shot!
                            -Chicagomike

Comment

[Maybe one of our more scientific members can fill the, 'cut angle & angle into the 1st cushion.'
                              Roughly speaking, the shot into the corner pocket is about a 20 degree cut and the angle change off the cushion due to side spin is about 30 degrees.

For comparison, shooting the CB straight at the side rail with a level cue, it would only take about 2/3 maximum spin to change the rebound angle by 30 degrees. But a lot of the original spin on the CB is lost in the collision with the OB, so it takes more than 2/3 max spin for this shot.

pj
                              chgo

Comment

Using the starting point in the video I don't think it can be done from 5-6 inches in from the rail with a level cue.
                                Mike, I'll tell you what I'll do.

Either YOU or get 20 members to put up, $100 total, (5 bucks each) for my time. I'll take 25 attempts at trying to go 1 cushion and hit the frozen ball on the short rail.

I won't elevate my cue more than 10-15 degrees (is not much) and place the CB as diagrammed here.

I will video it with, 'time stamp' from my phone or better camera.

What do u think, about this prop?
                                Last edited by mr3cushion; 02-05-2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X