Testing your stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post
    Whitey, I see you are about 80 miles from Medford, OR. The Elks club there has about 6-8 3C tables,they might let you visit for a day so you can try these shots on a REAL 3C table.
    Two of our Hard Times guys are going up to the Elks in Medford for a three cushion tournament. One of them, Mark Hansen, has won up there a time or two and has been teaching some of the locals. I call the other guy ‘Backward Bill’ because he is learning fast but shoots a lot of shots backwards but hits the ball so well he makes them. I try to play a little but it’s hard to get any table time in with only one table.

Nice to see the game gaining popularity locally.
    JOHN HENDERSON
    Al Romero Cue
    Magic Chalk

Comment

• John & Bill,
      When I first heard of the Elks and their numerous billiard tables, it was hard to imagine of such a place in Medford, or. But in talking to some players, Medford use to be quite a hot bed for players, and a sure stopping place for hustlers. So I can imagine it now. The Elks have held some prestigious events over the years.
      No pool players there now! The Rack-Em pool hall is nice.

I went on line and it has been reported that the Elks has been sold as of June, and is under renovation, and what is going to be in there I do not know! Whitey

Comment

• Originally posted by mr3cushion View Post

So above I mention a, 'Secret' I intentionally left out of the explanation.

I also did this, I think subconsciously in the my book in the, 'Fundamentals' chapter. I think it's because I learned the game in an era, where everyone guarded those little gems that they just couldn't give up! I guess I felt the same way, let them think figure it out!

And, I'm a little surprised no one here even touched on it. Here it is, 'Grip Pressure' at the point of contact on the CB!

For myself, the, 'Pre-shot routine' (warm-up strokes before the stance) is where most of the magic happens for me. For those that believe there are, 'different strokes' in the cue games, this is where many 3C players determine what stroke to apply for that particular shot that faces them.

I try to imitate in these warm-up strokes, the, timing, tempo, speed of the cue tip and distance to travel, and the grip pressure I feel I need at the impact of the CB to impart the correct effect on the CB!

All that, plus trying to control the 2nd ball for position, normally within 5-10 seconds before setting down for the shot!
        Many thanks for this post Mr. 3C

I think Pro Golfers use the same technique. Tom Watson comes to mind.

The way I try to get the feel for the correct grip pressure to use is I try to feel that I am pushing (its a feel thing) the CB off of the OB to send the QB where I want it to go.

I just wish I could ply like this guy.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBT3Whoo0E

Once again thanks

John
        Last edited by One Pocket John; 10-05-2018, 10:21 PM.
        One Pocket John
        Fenton, MO.

In memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims...gone but not forgotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Pocket John View Post
          Many thanks for this post Mr. 3C

I think Pro Golfers use the same technique. Tom Watson comes to mind.

The way I try to get the feel for the correct grip pressure to use is I try to feel that I am pushing (its a feel thing) the CB off of the OB to send the QB where I want it to go.

I just wish I could ply like this guy.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBT3Whoo0E

Once again thanks

John
          John, funny you mention Tom Watson, I never took a lesson in golf, I was 2 handicap for years. But, I patterned my swing after his and Nick Price, 'short and compact!' I didn't hit it long, about 250-260, but, I ALWAYS knew where my ball was, on the short grass.

The, 'Modern day' 3 cushion stroke is the same, IMHO! The game is ALL about accuracy, position play with perfect speed with new equipment.

Comment

• I could watch Pedro play all day. Pure beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDUYpPWoxUY&t=1378s

Grip pressure at it's very best.

John
            One Pocket John
            Fenton, MO.

Comment

I could watch Pedro play all day. Pure beauty.

John
              Personally for me, it's hard for me to watch him play if there is NO, 'shot-clock!' If one isn't used he takes anywhere's from 1-2 minutes a shot, and in crunch time even longer! If I'm playing a, 'slow player,' I just tune them out and go about my business! But, to sit and watch, tough for me.

There's no doubt Pedro's an excellent player! But, in the, 'BIG leagues,' with the shot-clock he hasn't fared that well.

Comment

I could watch Pedro play all day. Pure beauty.

John
                Great player, alright. How do you know what his grip pressure is?

pj
                chgo

Comment

• I don't, but Mr3Cushion could probably explain/guess better than I.

John
                  One Pocket John
                  Fenton, MO.

Comment

I don't, but Mr3Cushion could probably explain/guess better than I.

John
                    As I mentioned before, I don't watch him play so much, so I couldn't give an educated opinion on it! Also, I try not to guess about anything, including other players mechanics!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
                      Great player, alright. How do you know what his grip pressure is?

pj
                      chgo
                      Oh, never mind. I misunderstood your comment.

pj
                      chgo

Comment

Working...
                      X