Unifying Format/Seniors 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
    For me, the Wednesday afternoon players meeting and Calcutta works fine... Starting the tournament early Thursday morning and having a full extra day of play will solve the entire issue of running late on Sunday, even with over 32 players...

I will talk it out with Rizzo and see if they are willing to dedicate the extra day to the tournament and still add the $3000.00 to the prize pool, pay the TD, not charge green fees, give all the Calcutta money and entire prize pool money back to the players, and feed us all again everyday... By now, they have had a chance to see how the financial side played out and should be able to make a decision based on that and the fact that it’s a bit of a feather in their cap since at present, it’s the only one pocket event of its kind anywhere in the United States...

I’m not sure whether the added day will hinder overall participation, but I wouldn’t think so... Every year we have lost a few and gained a few players and so far the gain has outrun the loss, as we had 38 players in this years event, an all time high...

Hopefully Bogies will host it again next year and agree to add the extra day...

Then just a standard 48 player bracket will work fine...
    Wow, Bogies really takes care of your tournament. I would like to see a $25.00 green fee, and that way it will go a long ways towards the $3,000 added. This fee would not cover match up play! I think a week day like a Thursday which maybe slow for them anyway, might be welcomed, maybe work in the use of more tables in the early morning of Thursday, lol. thanks, again!

Comment

For me, the Wednesday afternoon players meeting and Calcutta works fine... Starting the tournament early Thursday morning and having a full extra day of play will solve the entire issue of running late on Sunday, even with over 32 players...

I will talk it out with Rizzo and see if they are willing to dedicate the extra day to the tournament and still add the $3000.00 to the prize pool, pay the TD, not charge green fees, give all the Calcutta money and entire prize pool money back to the players, and feed us all again everyday... By now, they have had a chance to see how the financial side played out and should be able to make a decision based on that and the fact that it’s a bit of a feather in their cap since at present, it’s the only one pocket event of its kind anywhere in the United States...

I’m not sure whether the added day will hinder overall participation, but I wouldn’t think so... Every year we have lost a few and gained a few players and so far the gain has outrun the loss, as we had 38 players in this years event, an all time high...

You'll have to start Thursday early to make up the extra day for sure.

Comment

Sudden Death

I think it's Very important to set a Cap on player count FIRST with Bogies, because of their table count. As this thing grows (it will) the numbers could easily reach 64, that could force us to move to a larger room....or could we start it on Thur. and finish up on Sun.? I still think a race to 3 final should be considered.

Better yet, since we're hard wired to THINK we have to have a Dbl/elim final, or a LONGER race final, at our ages, lets change gears.

Remember we did the dbl elim two years ago....and then this year it went LONG again.

We could even do race to 2 finals, kinda of like a Sudden Death....which we're all one step away from Anyway.

The room owner also needs to be aware of this head count, and also has to give up his room one more night. If this is the case, I think a little off the top from the calcutta fund$ (not 10%) should be taken, and given to the room owner to offset his dollar loss from those 8 tables for Thur.
        Bill Meacham
        WBT
        www.worldbilliardtour.com
        no link....

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
          I think it's Very important to set a Cap on player count FIRST with Bogies, because of their table count. As this thing grows (it will) the numbers could easily reach 64, that could force us to move to a larger room....or could we start it on Thur. and finish up on Sun.? I still think a race to 3 final should be considered.

Better yet, since we're hard wired to THINK we have to have a Dbl/elim final, or a LONGER race final, at our ages, lets change gears.

Remember we did the dbl elim two years ago....and then this year it went LONG again.

We could even do race to 2 finals, kinda of like a Sudden Death....which we're all one step away from Anyway.

The room owner also needs to be aware of this head count, and also has to give up his room one more night. If this is the case, I think a little off the top from the calcutta fund$ (not 10%) should be taken, and given to the room owner to offset his dollar loss from those 8 tables for Thur.
          I’m for a single race to 4 in the final, winner of the hot seat gets the first break...Of course this could be modified by the two finalists to a race to 3 if they both agreed they were to tired to play the race to 4...

I talked with John this morning and as politely as I could, I ask him if the numbers were in on how they did for the tournament... He said that he was sure that they had lost a little money, but that Cody enjoyed doing it for the players... I asked him what he thought about giving up the room for another full day,
          ( Thursday ) and he said he would talk it over with the owner...

Maybe next year we could chip in $30.00 each for green fees to help offset the extra day and smooth out some of the lost revenue for the 4 days we are using all his 9’ tables... Wouldn’t bother me... just a thought...

Bill, I wouldn’t bet on this thing growing much beyond 40 players, ever... We will lose some that played this year and pick up some in 2019 that have not played in one yet, but I doubt it will ever exceed 40ish players... If it does, a 42 player cap could be implemented...

Comment

I’m for a single race to 4 in the final, winner of the hot seat gets the first break...Of course this could be modified by the two finalists to a race to 3 if they both agreed they were to tired to play the race to 4...

I talked with John this morning and as politely as I could, I ask him if the numbers were in on how they did for the tournament... He said that he was sure that they had lost a little money, but that Cody enjoyed doing it for the players... I asked him what he thought about giving up the room for another full day,
            ( Thursday ) and he said he would talk it over with the owner...

Maybe next year we could chip in $30.00 each for green fees to help offset the extra day and smooth out some of the lost revenue for the 4 days we are using all his 9’ tables... Wouldn’t bother me... just a thought...

Bill, I wouldn’t bet on this thing growing much beyond 40 players, ever... We will lose some that played this year and pick up some in 2019 that have not played in one yet, but I doubt it will ever exceed 40ish players... If it does, a 42 player cap could be implemented...
            Jeff; with RR format, and 40 players (8 flights of 5) on 8 tables you will have 17.5 hrs. apprx for pre-lims. If 48 players (8 flights of 6) you'll have 22 hrs. for the pre-lims! That's allowing 2.5 hrs. per match.

If the pre-lims start on Thurs evening after the draw, 1 or 2 rounds can be played that evening. Leaving 17.5 or 15 hrs left for the pre-lims over Friday and Saturday.
            Last edited by mr3cushion; 11-04-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
              Wow, Bogies really takes care of your tournament. I would like to see a $25.00 green fee, and that way it will go a long ways towards the $3,000 added. This fee would not cover match up play! I think a week day like a Thursday which maybe slow for them anyway, might be welcomed, maybe work in the use of more tables in the early morning of Thursday, lol. thanks, again!
              I'm in favor of the greens fee too. It isn't much money individually, and it gives each of us a way to "give back" a tiny bit in support of the host room, but with around 40 players it might be significant for Bogies!
              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
              -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

I'd rather have the calcutta Thursday noon and start the tournament right after -- that's still a big scheduling help over starting the tournament Friday, but for those many of us traveling a long distance (and in some cases, still working ) saving one potential overnight expense and time away would help make it viable...
                -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Time

Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                  I'd rather have the calcutta Thursday noon and start the tournament right after -- that's still a big scheduling help over starting the tournament Friday, but for those many of us traveling a long distance (and in some cases, still working ) saving one potential overnight expense and time away would help make it viable...
                  Since it's a once a yr event, and being over 65 is waaaaaay different than 60.

Play....starting Thur. gives us the needed time to rid us of ALL problems (depends).

Find a number the owner need$ to make Thur. a go, pay em for the time.

Take that number off the top of the Calcutta funds....right there and then and hand it to the owner.

Figure out the calcutta payoff and call match times.

Race to 3 in the Finals with Winner side breaking as always.

After the win, winner buys first round cocktails, I'm in !!! Fun Fun.

In sailing when ya won, we threw ya in the lake.

I Really want to see the finals, but never have because of
                  time.

Us oldsters are running outta time, so lets not Waste time.

Be nice if we all had time to be there for the finals.
                  Last edited by Island Drive; 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM.
                  Bill Meacham
                  WBT
                  no link....

Comment

I'm in favor of the greens fee too. It isn't much money individually, and it gives each of us a way to "give back" a tiny bit in support of the host room, but with around 40 players it might be significant for Bogies!
                    I'm donating $200 to the players, why wouldn't I give a few bucks to the people making it happen?

$30 X 40 is only $1200... they probably spent that much on lunches for us. If they refuse to accept a green fee, we should take up a collection!

Comment

I feel this thread has pretty much played out. We are now waiting on more news of further meetings between Jeff and Rizzo.

There have been a lot of good suggestions, and some consensus. Starting earlier in the day, starting a day earlier whether in the afternoon or morning, green fees and a skim off the top of the Calcutta, plus others.

I want thank all that participated! It was a very good thread! thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
                        Since it's a once a yr event, and being over 65 is waaaaaay different than 60.

Play....starting Thur. gives us the needed time to rid us of ALL problems (depends).

Find a number the owner need$ to make Thur. a go, pay em for the time.

Take that number off the top of the Calcutta funds....right there and then and hand it to the owner.

Figure out the calcutta payoff and call match times.

Race to 3 in the Finals with Winner side breaking as always.

After the win, winner buys first round cocktails, I'm in !!! Fun Fun.

In sailing when ya won, we threw ya in the lake.

I Really want to see the finals, but never have because of
                        time.

Us oldsters are running outta time, so lets not Waste time.

Be nice if we all had time to be there for the finals.
                        I would not skim anything off the calcutta! We want to encourage as much bidding as possible in the calcutta, to get the overall calcutta numbers as high as possible. Skimming could be a deterrent. I doubt a modest green fee would be an issue -- I know it would not for me, and that's not because I have unlimited funds, cuz I don't. If I did I would attend many more events myself and I would also retire tomorrow But I do have my priorities, and one of them is supporting room owners that support One Pocket players!!!
                        -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

I would not skim anything off the calcutta! We want to encourage as much bidding as possible in the calcutta, to get the overall calcutta numbers as high as possible. Skimming could be a deterrent. I doubt a modest green fee would be an issue -- I know it would not for me, and that's not because I have unlimited funds, cuz I don't. If I did I would attend many more events myself and I would also retire tomorrow But I do have my priorities, and one of them is supporting room owners that support One Pocket players!!!
                          That works, just tossing out ideas.
                          Bill Meacham
                          WBT
                          no link....

Comment

We Baby Boomers and the Beat Generation are currently playing in these events. I think we'll get more players joining up and I can see a field of at least 48 players happening very soon. We need to take these numbers into consideration when making changes. Having the final 4 play on sunday is the best case scenario. I think the 8 tables available at Bogies is sufficient to host the event assuming they are willing to have us again next year. Great room and great ownership and staff. So how to get to those final day numbers? I think we need to play earlier in the day and just call matches. I think the concerns about elimination on day one can be avoided if we just call other matches instead of putting a player in the position of being eliminated so early. In other words tweak the chart so as to call matches more on the winners side earlier and you'll see we can get to the final four on sunday. Those that are on the winners will get more rest and they'll need it and those who are walking through the left side will have to grin and bear it to the final day. Over and out.

Comment

To piggy back off of Jerry's statement, I too think it will grow, and I believe Bogies wants it to grow. Just look how much positive press Bogies have obtained. I for one want to stop in there when in the area, before this I did not know about them.
                              Correct some of the format issues to keep on schedule and then everything is on a positive. By using 8 tables, I am still truly amazed just how well this last tournament went, and just towards the end of Sunday's play where matchups were equal, fatigue setting in, defense a bound, matches going hill /hill it got stalled, otherwise it would of been right on schedule.
                              Truly a great tournament, and well worth the investments of ideas being bounced around on this thread! thanks to Bogies, players that attended, and to those that are posting!

Comment

Working...
                              X