The simple simple truth

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Here's an example of a ridiculously stupid question from one that don't get it.

I can answer this for you 3c. You play two games with each other player in your bracket (group). 2x7=14:lol:lol

You may have answered something, but, it's NOT even close to what I explained or suggested!

My God, the things YOU need to learn about the vocabulary of Round Robin tournament play astounds me! :eek:

FYI, that's called, 'Double RR bracket' format!

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
You may have answered something, but, it's NOT even close to what I explained or suggested!

My God, the things YOU need to learn about the vocabulary of Round Robin tournament play astounds me! :eek:

Do you have any idea how stupid you sound?? You should look in a mirror so you can hear yourself.:rolleyes:

I think not havin a hole to shoot at has gotten you all...FU-COCK-I-TUD:lol

youngstown

Verified Member
The simple simple truth

Crazy thought...what about having a hard stop after a designated time. All games that aren’t finished get marked as a tie, unless you are winning by a certain (?) margin. It’s not perfect but it moves things along. (This wouldn’t need enforced for the last round of the night.)

YoungSchool

I think this thread is internet gold!

Wonder what the first post was that even got it started!?!

-YoungSchool

(Can't find FU-COCK-I-TUD in the dictionary....)

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Consider the source! NO ONE in the world would run a 1 pocket event with 32 players and 4 flights of 8 in 3 days! It's utterly ridiculous!!!! And he says 14 games each! How do you get to play 14 game with ONLY 8 players in a bracket? In RR format you don't play each other twice!Just once, that's why it's RR format! :frus:frus It'

Here's an example of a ridiculously stupid question from one that don't get it.

I can answer this for you 3c. You play two games with each other player in your bracket (group). 2x7=14:lol:lol

Mr 3c,

You are obviously having difficulty understanding the difference between playing a GAME (or two) versus playing a MATCH. One could play any number of GAMES against ones opponents in a RR tournament.

However, one can only play one MATCH against ones opponent in a RR tournament. Should one play two MATCHES against ones opponent it would be call a "Double RR" tournament.

It is astounding to me how much I have to explain to you in order to try to have an intelligent conversation with you, simply astounding.:D

Perhaps you should calm down just a bit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Crazy thought...what about having a hard stop after a designated time. All games that aren’t finished get marked as a tie, unless you are winning by a certain (?) margin. It’s not perfect but it moves things along. (This wouldn’t need enforced for the last round of the night.)

Kid, it's not that big of a deal if a match goes over the, 2.5 hr time frame by 20 or 30 minutes! Whatever game, NO matter what flight it is in, will go on that table when they are done!

Who knows, that next match may only last 1 hour!

It most likely will all even out and the end of the, pre-lims!

youngstown

Verified Member
The simple simple truth

Kid, it's not that big of a deal if a match goes over the, 2.5 hr time frame by 20 or 30 minutes! Whatever game, NO matter what flight it is in, will go on that table when they are done!

Who knows, that next match may only last 1 hour!

It most likely will all even out and the end of the, pre-lims!

Where would you draw the line?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Shall we have a poll, to see how many players would travel from ALL over the country to Bogie's in Houston for 3-4 days to play ONLY 2 games against each opponent in their flight! Where it's 7 opponents or 4!

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Cory,

Why are you complicating this so, or letting others drag you into this mess. Why wouldn't you use the same RR format we used in Philly, playing a certain number of games against each other player in your group. Then determine a finalist from each group to play in the elimination rounds on Sunday (the same as Mitch and I played in the final in Philly) That is so simple and it is self managed by each group. These guys don't understand.

I know you advocated exactly what I am describing in earlier threads on this subject.

It is the Philly model, just scaled up to 32 players and adding a lower tier.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I like the idea of a RR format, and I understand it perfectly...

Here’s the rub for me...

The players who play at a very deliberate pace will still slow their group down...
They are not going to play faster in a RR format than they would in any other format...

That’s just the way it is, and the only solution that makes sense is to start the tournament on Thursday morning, thereby allowing the deliberate players more time to complete their matches... Now whether this be done in a RR format or the traditional double elimination format remains to be decided by the people putting on the tournament... I’m sure the powers in charge of the Bogies Senior tournament will take into consideration the needs of the players before making their decision, they have always been very player friendly...

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Shall we have a poll, to see how many players would travel from ALL over the country to Bogie's in Houston for 3-4 days to play ONLY 2 games against each opponent in their flight! Where it's 7 opponents or 4!

3c,

I'm gonna presume you can read, even if you do have difficulty understanding. I can always explain for you.

Please do not attempt to put words in my mouth (you ain't that smart). I never suggested holding a tournament wherein each player would play 2 games against 7 opponents over 3 or 4 days, and you know it.

In post #69 I suggested a RR of 32 players where each player wold play 3 games against every other player in his group of 8 players. That in and of itself garantes every player 21 games, and that is just for Friday and Saturday. I then suggested that on SUnday we hold a single or double elimination final with either 4 or 8 qualifiers from the groups.

This format provides considerably more play to every player, and the "drama" of an elimination finals.

P.S. So, does your attempting to change the subject mean that you now understand the difference between a "game" and a "match", and what constitutes a "Double RR" tournament? hhmmm?:heh:heh

youngstown

Verified Member
The simple simple truth

I’m looking forward to doing a RR format, guys. I think we’ll prob have a few issues but those issues would affect the tourney far less than a double elimination, IMO*

(*until proven otherwise)

Any crazy thoughts or suggestions I make is me just trying to help and should not be taken personally by anyone. I’m fascinated by tourney formats and have been in and run a lot of different ones. Doesn’t make me an expert, but I’ve single handedly run a bunch including buybacks and chip tourneys. I really think we’re heading in the right direction with trying out a RR. IMO having a RR on Day 1 is perfect. Why not run an unlimited-chip tourney on day 2? Then after two full days of play, the same ppl can have an opinion on what they liked better? Then do whatever the third day...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

Here’s the rub for me...

The players who play at a very deliberate pace will still slow their group down...
They are not going to play faster in a RR format than they would in any other format...

That’s just the way it is, and the only solution that makes sense is to start the tournament on Thursday morning, thereby allowing the deliberate players more time to complete their matches... Now whether this be done in a RR format or the traditional double elimination format remains to be decided by the people putting on the tournament... I’m sure the powers in charge of the Bogies Senior tournament will take into consideration the needs of the players before making their decision, they have always been very player friendly...

Jeff; They don't have to play a lot faster, just as long as the group as a, 'Whole' keeps close to pace with the time schedule! faster matches than 2.5 hrs. will most likely offset the longer ones!

The main thing is, "You have continuous play on ALL 8 tables!"

youngstown

Verified Member
The simple simple truth

I’m looking forward to doing a RR format, guys. I think we’ll prob have a few issues but those issues would affect the tourney far less than a double elimination, IMO*

(*until proven otherwise)

Any crazy thoughts or suggestions I make is me just trying to help and should not be taken personally by anyone. I’m fascinated by tourney formats and have been in and run a lot of different ones. Doesn’t make me an expert, but I’ve single handedly run a bunch including buybacks and chip tourneys. I really think we’re heading in the right direction with trying out a RR. IMO having a RR on Day 1 is perfect. Why not run an unlimited-chip tourney on day 2? Then after two full days of play, the same ppl can have an opinion on what they liked better? Then do whatever the third day...

Rank ppl based on how they did in the RR, then rank how they did in chip, top X move on to day 3...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
3c,

I'm gonna presume you can read, even if you do have difficulty understanding. I can always explain for you.

Please do not attempt to put words in my mouth (you ain't that smart). I never suggested holding a tournament wherein each player would play 2 games against 7 opponents over 3 or 4 days, and you know it.

In post #69 I suggested a RR of 32 players where each player wold play 3 games against every other player in his group of 8 players. That in and of itself garantes every player 21 games, and that is just for Friday and Saturday. I then suggested that on SUnday we hold a single or double elimination final with either 4 or 8 qualifiers from the groups.

This format provides considerably more play to every player, and the "drama" of an elimination finals.

P.S. So, does your attempting to change the subject mean that you now understand the difference between a "game" and a "match", and what constitutes a "Double RR" tournament? hhmmm?:heh:heh

YOUR words, NOT mine! RR: 4 flights of 8, with 5 matches per player. Each match is 2 games (not a race to 2, just 2 games

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

Here’s the rub for me...

Jeff,

What you say is certainly possible. Each group will want to complete their rounds in order to place a qualifier into the elimination rounds on Sunday. Each group can play as long as they need to on Friday and Saturday to accomplish this. Each group will provide some friendly pressure on any slow players in their group if things get too bad, don't you think.

And, if it should happen that a group can't complete their rounds (highly unlikely I think), it will be clear who caused it, which can't be a bad thing, can it?

I also think that because the RR games do not eliminate anyone who loses a game, there is less probably that players will slow down s much as they did in Houston, I could be wrong?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Wow, was gone for 5 or 6 hours and this thread went south fast...lol. I've never heard of the term Moose used but I like it...I think...