Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cyclops vs vintage centenials vs Aramith

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    El Chapo,

    You see those conditions in many small towns.
    Worn cloth of all kinds is difficult to play on.
    Only the better players can adapt.

    Wish you had seen the fiberglass cloth they used to have in Las Vegas.
    A simple thin cut shot became a four rail up and down the table.

    Simmons is not much different. What used to be one across the table is now twice across the table and a power draw shot from distance is almost impossible if you can not go to a rail.

    I guess pool players are a little like lemmings. Greg Sullivan said Simmons and everyone drove off a clif.

    Bill S.

    Comment


    • #32
      This pertains to the people thinking the measles ball appears larger then the other balls or red circle cue ball.

      It's an optical illusion because of the spots. This might shed some light on it.


      https://www.popsci.com/circle-look-l...tical-illusion
      Last edited by johnnytronic; 11-27-2018, 09:39 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by bstroud View Post
        The BIG question is :

        Why do we have to play pool on this Simmonis crap where people without a stroke can suceed? It is a nightmare to play on unless you Bunt all the time.

        My Diamond has it because it is used everywhere. It drives me crazy.
        Balls stick together all the time. Nothing but skids and throws.

        It's not the balls. It's the cloth.

        Bill S.
        I can't really agree with this, the old school cloth was far worse imo. Yes you needed a better stroke to move the ball. Great, now you have developed a better stroke and this translated to the simonis. Mainly you needed to spin balls more ime. The old cloth on the rail shots would wear out very quickly and leave a groove that the balls would ride down like a track. The spot where the balls got racked would wear out very fast with a deep hole. Rolling balls was an issue. Ill take a few skids to have over all better playing/consistency conditions.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Scrzbill View Post
          I have the super aramith and just got the new cyclops with the Asian spelling for the balls. I have only played with the cyclops so far. Was it I’m getting my stroke back or the balls? New shaft, new balls, new Kentucky? I don’t know. I’ll try the Aramith Saturday or Sunday. Johnnie Tronic has action if I come back and Barry isn’t there.
          I don't know what Barry has to do with us playing. Haaa, tried to play ya every single day you were there. Not a big deal, probably see you at Derby.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by bstroud View Post
            Patrick,

            If you think that the nappy cloth won't make a difference, let me give you an example.

            Playing on West of England on a 12' snooker table:
            The cue ball shot at medium speed with the nap with side spin will start off going in the opposite direction of the side of the cueball it is hit on. It will eventually return back to the original aiming line. Everyone has experienced that.

            Shooting the same shot going against the nap the cue ball never returns to the original aiming line. It just keeps going.

            This effect is documented in the Great Joe Davis' book "Advanced Snooker".
            I have experienced it myself playing snooker.

            How do you explain that? If the cloth has no effect?

            Bill S.
            The bottom line in pool is "Everything makes a difference" It's considered the most nuanced based game in the world. Any factor that effects friction will make some difference. Humidity, therefore temperature, nap on the cloth, less nap more nap, age of balls, weight of balls, roundness of balls, lighting, how hot is the light, what kinda of shadows are on the balls, cut and angle on the rails, cutting a stripe ball is perceived easy then a solid, the grain size on the chalk, is your tip worn out or new, is it mushroomed, is it dime shaped or nickle, every little thing that you can think of will make a difference and we have not even got into the physiological part of the game which imo is far more difficult to master. Take some combinations of differences and for sure you will miss positions and banks. Have you ever coated the balls with silicone--It's like a whole new game for about 1/2 hour..

            Comment


            • #36
              A better stroke does not translate to Simmons.

              It’s a bit like having a 1000HP car and trying to go 5 miles an hour forever.
              Just doesn’t work.

              Bill S.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by johnnytronic View Post
                The bottom line in pool is "Everything makes a difference" It's considered the most nuanced based game in the world. Any factor that effects friction will make some difference. Humidity, therefore temperature, nap on the cloth, less nap more nap, age of balls, weight of balls, roundness of balls, lighting, how hot is the light, what kinda of shadows are on the balls, cut and angle on the rails, cutting a stripe ball is perceived easy then a solid, the grain size on the chalk, is your tip worn out or new, is it mushroomed, is it dime shaped or nickle, every little thing that you can think of will make a difference and we have not even got into the physiological part of the game which imo is far more difficult to master. Take some combinations of differences and for sure you will miss positions and banks. Have you ever coated the balls with silicone--It's like a whole new game for about 1/2 hour..
                I played a tournament in mexico once and the owner decided to wax the balls to make them look pretty right before the tournament. I was the beat player there by a long shot and went two and out. You have never seen balls do anything like this. And we did not get to practice with them in this condition. You would draw a ball and the cueball would just sit there for a good second before it came back it was unbelievable. And shotmaking was a complete abomination.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
                  I played a tournament in mexico once and the owner decided to wax the balls to make them look pretty right before the tournament. I was the beat player there by a long shot and went two and out. You have never seen balls do anything like this. And we did not get to practice with them in this condition. You would draw a ball and the cueball would just sit there for a good second before it came back it was unbelievable. And shotmaking was a complete abomination.
                  Jeeterville Bobby Goad, used to use Armor All on his ball sets in the beginning at his Pinkies establishments.

                  So what is the best ball set to purchase for today's conditions. What do they use at DCC and what are they going to use at the 2019 US open.?
                  Bill Meacham
                  WBT
                  www.worldbilliardtour.com
                  no link....

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
                    Jeeterville Bobby Goad, used to use Armor All on his ball sets in the beginning at his Pinkies establishments.

                    So what is the best ball set to purchase for today's conditions. What do they use at DCC and what are they going to use at the 2019 US open.?
                    Cyclops balls. The same balls pool rooms all across the country are having problems with cracked balls.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by bstroud View Post
                      The BIG question is :

                      Why do we have to play pool on this Simmonis crap where people without a stroke can suceed? It is a nightmare to play on unless you Bunt all the time.

                      My Diamond has it because it is used everywhere. It drives me crazy.
                      Balls stick together all the time. Nothing but skids and throws.

                      It's not the balls. It's the cloth.

                      Bill S.
                      Simmonis is great at promoting their product but it is not good for pool. I liked the cloth used before Simmonis. You had to have a stroke in those days. So the solution seems to be making the pockets smaller because the cloth has made the game so easy. Now you have to buy a little cue to jump balls. The game has changed and not for the better. The problem with making the pockets smaller is sometimes they make them so small you can't play pool. Pool requires some shots to be hit with speed and English. They just went thru this at Hardtimes in Sacramento. They got the pockets so small no one could run a rack so they had to open them up. I like 4" pockets for one pocket and 4.5" for rotation pool. I believe in change but it seems every time they make changes to pool it makes the game worse. Texas Express rules turned 9 ball into a boring joke of a game. And that is why we need to resist the smart peoples ideas on changing one pocket. It seems like it is almost perfect as it is

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I think the main advantage we old timers have against these fearless young straightshooters is we have played under all types of conditions for years. Tight pockets are not new and if I have to adjust my game when I play on them, fine.

                        If you are a straight shooting gofer and we are playing on tight equipment, I am getting a ball near my hole and leaving you a long straight in with the cue ball on or near the rail to give you a blood test. You keep firing those in and winning games I have to revert to another strategy, maybe leaving you in the stack as many times as possible.

                        If that does not work, I am quitting and looking for another old guy.
                        JOHN HENDERSON
                        Al Romero Cue
                        Magic Chalk

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          soon you just have all old guys as new players get discouraged quickly if the balls all rattle for them and dont go in. so they dont stick around and get better and more rooms close. and one pocket gets too boring to play and becomes so obvious that they dont have a chance of winning.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            The only solution as I see it is to be a Straight Shooter.

                            Bill S.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by beatle View Post
                              soon you just have all old guys as new players get discouraged quickly if the balls all rattle for them and dont go in. so they dont stick around and get better and more rooms close. and one pocket gets too boring to play and becomes so obvious that they dont have a chance of winning.
                              There’s more and more younger guys playing 1P now than ever before because it’s easier to match up and no matter how bad you are you get at least one shot per game

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X