Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats App for the Derby?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whats App for the Derby?

    Hey all...I have used a phone application in the past for other team events called What’s App. Simply install it on your phone and then we can create a communication group that’s easy to follow. It would be good for meeting up, informing others about matches, general banter, and horse play. Let me know who is interested and as long as I have your phone number I can include you in the group.
    Live long and play strong,
    -Chicagomike

  • #2
    Pmed my number

    Comment


    • #3
      What about Discord? I'm not familiar with whatsapp but we already have a discord group for onepocket.org, and I believe we could specifically tailor one to DCC...

      cincy? <--- plus he knows the software really well
      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
      -- Strawberry Brooks

      Comment


      • #4
        I just googled whatsapp and now that I look at it, and this might be an issue with discord too -- I'm thinking they mainly rely on internet/wifi -- which frankly stinks at DCC in the tournament/action room areas. As a casino, the Horseshoe does not want you on the internet that much, because they must see it as a distraction from spending money at their casino They even charge for it in the hotel -- something like 10 or 15 a night!

        But an exchange of cell numbers for texting at the very least is a good idea. Even cell signal is not that strong there (or at least has not been in prior years) -- but there is usually enough for text messages. I often go to the top of the escalators next to the rotunda for phone calls because I usually get 2 bars there lol.
        "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
        -- Strawberry Brooks

        Comment


        • #5
          Mike I have what’s app.

          Comment


          • #6
            Whats App for the Derby?

            Originally posted by Hardmix View Post
            Mike I have what’s app.


            As do I. 👍.
            Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

            Comment


            • #7
              WhatsApp works with wifi or data, but if the signals are weak, it should still work like text. WhatsApp also allows you to make voice calls using wifi or data. It works great overseas and should even work in Indiana. Wish I was going to be able to join you all...and win all your money!!

              Happy 2019 one pocketeers!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                WhatsApp works with wifi or data, but if the signals are weak, it should still work like text. WhatsApp also allows you to make voice calls using wifi or data. It works great overseas and should even work in Indiana. Wish I was going to be able to join you all...and win all your money!!

                Happy 2019 one pocketeers!
                I used it with my wife when she was in Africa last year. It worked wonderfully for the long distance calls. Pretty amazing.
                Live long and play strong,
                -Chicagomike

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                  I just googled whatsapp and now that I look at it, and this might be an issue with discord too -- I'm thinking they mainly rely on internet/wifi -- which frankly stinks at DCC in the tournament/action room areas. As a casino, the Horseshoe does not want you on the internet that much, because they must see it as a distraction from spending money at their casino They even charge for it in the hotel -- something like 10 or 15 a night!

                  But an exchange of cell numbers for texting at the very least is a good idea. Even cell signal is not that strong there (or at least has not been in prior years) -- but there is usually enough for text messages. I often go to the top of the escalators next to the rotunda for phone calls because I usually get 2 bars there lol.
                  I'll put the group together and we can try it...i'm hoping for some measure of success.
                  Live long and play strong,
                  -Chicagomike

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mike, Put my phone # in the group. I would very much like to keep up with our members at DCC.

                    If I am not in a match or gambling, I would like to sweat others action.

                    Where, or how, do I download app ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
                      Mike, Put my phone # in the group. I would very much like to keep up with our members at DCC.

                      If I am not in a match or gambling, I would like to sweat others action.

                      Where, or how, do I download app ?
                      Sounds good Robert! If you have a smart phone you would go to your App Store to download it. It’s called WhatsApp
                      Live long and play strong,
                      -Chicagomike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
                        Mike, Put my phone # in the group. I would very much like to keep up with our members at DCC.

                        If I am not in a match or gambling, I would like to sweat others action.

                        Where, or how, do I download app ?
                        PM me your phone number if you would like. I do not have it.
                        Live long and play strong,
                        -Chicagomike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Reminder that if any DCC attendees want to be included in the group mobile communication please let me know and PM your phone number...I will be putting together the group in the next day or two. Make sure you have Whatsapp downloaded onto your phone or mobile device.
                          Live long and play strong,
                          -Chicagomike

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think you have mine already and I now have WhatsApp on my phone too -- although I haven't tried it yet lol
                            "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                            -- Strawberry Brooks

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We need to do a dry run to see how it works Mike.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X