Yet another reality check

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Larry, it says that both players made a payday and the backers threw the party. Ho hum.

One Rock and One Pocket Guy: I have an old DVD with two quick Efren Reyes matches on it. Jose Parica finished his match still owing a ball or two, overall. Bustamante went just about the same route, except that he finally got a shot in the last game and made a couple of balls. Bata and Jojo forever!!

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I would say in this day in age it is a lot easier to get a basic moving game with all the information out there. So essentially I blame this site for giving all these shooters a chance to learn how move just enough that their shooting triumphs

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would say in this day in age it is a lot easier to get a basic moving game with all the information out there. So essentially I blame this site for giving all these shooters a chance to learn how move just enough that their shooting triumphs

We laugh, but there is probably some truth to this :D:D

stedyfred

Verified Member
I am aware that this is a one pocket forum and not a str8 pool discussion, however, the situation # 1 that one rock posts ref his match with James Aranas would often come up after the opening safety in a str8 pool match. The good str8 pool player from that previous generation may hit his opponent with a 70 ball run from that opening break, whereas a gr8 str8 pool player such as Mr. Sigel may run 150 and out. If you have a chance pickup Billiards Digest July 2000 page 14 and you will see that Sigel would practice this type of shot and had the confidence to play it. The one pocket players from 70's ,80's may pass up this same shot in a one pocket game. BTW Onerock I like your one pocket game; hang in there.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Thanks. It's interesting that you mention Straight Pool because I consider One-Pocket to be a variation of Straight Pool. I think the inventor must have had in mind to create a relatively faster game that's more suitable for gambling.

I am aware that this is a one pocket forum and not a str8 pool discussion, however, the situation # 1 that one rock posts ref his match with James Aranas would often come up after the opening safety in a str8 pool match. The good str8 pool player from that previous generation may hit his opponent with a 70 ball run from that opening break, whereas a gr8 str8 pool player such as Mr. Sigel may run 150 and out. If you have a chance pickup Billiards Digest July 2000 page 14 and you will see that Sigel would practice this type of shot and had the confidence to play it. The one pocket players from 70's ,80's may pass up this same shot in a one pocket game. BTW Onerock I like your one pocket game; hang in there.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Ghost only shoots once he runs out of moves and that’s not often...I know first hand. Many times I have been the victim of his moving. Go get ‘em Ghosty!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Larry, John L., Steve, Bill, LSJohn, Old School, & Mike - thanks for sayin'.

Ghost only shoots once he runs out of moves and that’s not often...I know first hand. Many times I have been the victim of his moving. Go get ‘em Ghosty!

And many times I have been the victim of Mike's crazy-good shooting and banking!

- Ghost

PS, Sorry I missed robbing, oops, I meant to say seeing :D all of youse onepocket.org guys down at the DCC this year.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Larry, John L., Steve, Bill, LSJohn, Old School, & Mike - thanks for sayin'.

And many times I have been the victim of Mike's crazy-good shooting and banking!

- Ghost

PS, Sorry I missed robbing, oops, I meant to say seeing :D all of youse onepocket.org guys down at the DCC this year.

We got a open slot in Memphis. You'll get plenty of action down there. I would love a chance to play you and get a lesson.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

All you have to do, is sit down and watch some of the playoff matches, from tournaments on You Tube for a week, and you will see about every shot and move, you will ever encounter.
If you have a knowledgeable player there with you, he could fill you in on the nuances of the shot, and parameters, and the two together could save you several years of playing time, to get up to speed.
You still have to shoot the shots yourself, to get the feel , but there are only a relatively small amount of shots that make up the game.
I'm thinking a couple thousand legitimate shots, tops.
I'm sure you already know this , you seem very capable,just thinking out loud.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
All you have to do, is sit down and watch some of the playoff matches, from tournaments on You Tube for a week, and you will see about every shot and move, you will ever encounter.
If you have a knowledgeable player there with you, he could fill you in on the nuances of the shot, and parameters, and the two together could save you several years of playing time, to get up to speed.
You still have to shoot the shots yourself, to get the feel , but there are only a relatively small amount of shots that make up the game.

I'd say you just described the path several of these young Russian guys must have taken. 15 years ago Stalev might have been the only 1P player in the whole country.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

If life was that simple, it would be boring

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
^ Wrong. The only thing you "proved", is that you don't know what you're talking about...

Here, let me give you some free advice: It's not very smart to make definitive statements when you're not in possession of the facts...

The fact is, I've done well and finished in the money in many pro tournaments...and in these tournaments, beating, or going hill-hill with: Cliff, Grady, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, Parica, Richie Richeson, Gabe Owen, David Matlock, John Schmidt, Billy Palmer, Rafael Martinez, etc, etc....

And I accomplished that with top speed moving, not shooting :cool:

Here's documentation of just some of that >>>

"Moving" or game strategy is the core of any game or sport that is played on planet Earth. To say that "moving" is overated is like saying to a Chef that using "spices" in recepies is overated.:sorry Not trying to be critical. but COMEON NOW

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
"Moving" or game strategy is the core of any game or sport that is played on planet Earth. To say that "moving" is overated is like saying to a Chef that using "spices" in recepies is overated.:sorry Not trying to be critical. but COMEON NOW

Dr. Bill

Ask Bill Belichick if "moving" is overrated, better yet, ask his opponents.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
We got a open slot in Memphis. You'll get plenty of action down there. I would love a chance to play you and get a lesson.

Thanks for the invite John...but my health issues, and other concerns, make it hard for me to commit months ahead of time to travel anywhere.

- Ghost