Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 MOT location ballot

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2019 MOT location ballot

    We have two rooms to choose from, based on our earlier suggestion thread, and rooms that have an owner willing to commit!

    Michael's Billiards in Cincinnati https://www.michaelsbilliards.com/
    and Bluegrass Billiards in Philly https://bluegrassbilliards.org/

    Michaels is owned by a very good long-time Banks player, Mike Medley. The room features 13 Diamond 9' pool tables, two 3-cushion tables and 16 bar tables. It also features a stone tablet in a nice display with Cowboy Dennis's tribute poem to pool players who have died, "You'll Be Up Here Yet". cinci_kid would be our member liaison for Michaels, and he will add more information. With less than 16 tables, our tournament would have to start earlier Friday to get on track to match the 32 player schedule our members have discussed for a reasonable finish on Sunday.

    Bluegrass is a recently opened room with 40 Gold Crown tables (according to their website). Mitch would be our member liaison for Bluegrass, and he will add more information about the room in this thread.

    *** Please ONLY VOTE for a poolroom if you at least might be planning to attend the MOT for this year, thank you, because it really does not help if you vote a preference, yet do not plan to attend ***

    Thank you and if you do attend, you will have a fantastic time, with a bunch of pretty good players, but even better people!
    34
    Bluegrass Billiards, in Philly
    64.71%
    22
    Michael's Billiards in Cincinati (Fairfield, OH)
    35.29%
    12

    The poll is expired.

    "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
    -- Strawberry Brooks

  • #2
    I thought we decided our tournament would be the first weekend after Memorial Day weekend, which would be Friday May 31, then June 1 and 2, because Memorial Day is extra early this year. I noticed other posts recently talking about Friday the 7th of June, and Sat & Sun 8th and 9th.

    You guys are probably better at me at keeping track of this lol. Which is it? The first weekend after Memorial Day weekend or the first full weekend in June?
    "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
    -- Strawberry Brooks

    Comment


    • #3
      Steve, I thought for sure it was moved to 6/7 - 6/9

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
        Steve, I thought for sure it was moved to 6/7 - 6/9
        I noticed a few of you seemed like you knew -- it's fine with me!!
        "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
        -- Strawberry Brooks

        Comment


        • #5
          2019 MOT location ballot

          Here is my original post with details on BlueGrass Billiards...


          Well fellas.. here is a good possible choice for our next members tournament. BlueGrass Billiards in Philadelphia Pa is now officially open full time and has been packed. I mentioned before, it has the same owners as the old Takony Billiards which was an action staple here for many years and has sported many great players over the years including Efren, Busty, Frost, and Shane when they were in town.

          Stats on the new room:

          40 tables overall
          2 billiard tables
          16 bar tables
          Mix of 22 Brunswick gold crown 3 or black crowns (cloth is a mix of Simonis and champion and pockets also range from 4 1/4 - 4-5/8)

          ***We could use up either 12 or up to 16 tables for the tournament.

          They are open 7 days a week, from 10am to 2am. (But stay open later when need be)

          The owners would ask a Green’s fee (20 bucks) which covers all tournament play. After that regular rates would apply however they are pretty cheap. Rates are $3 per person hourly from 10am til 5pm. And $5 per hour per person from 5pm til 2am.
          Seniors 62 and over the rate is $3 per hour all day and night every day!

          22 Tv’s
          Darts
          Table Tennis!! (Cincykid)
          Full Bar
          Kitchen with food
          The address is:
          9490 Bluegrass rd
          Philadelphia pa 19114

          The location is 22.6 miles (listed at 27 minutes on maps) from the Philadelphia International Airport.

          There is a four points Sheraton 3 minutes away and about 4 other hotels within 10 minutes including a Raddison, a holiday in and others.

          Fuscos Pool room is about 13 minutes away in case you want to visit another good action spot.

          There are several restaurants within a 5 minute drive including Nifty Fifties, which is a 3 minute walk and has the best old time milkshakes and burgers you could ask for. Ask our own Jakie. Naturally there are also a few places nearby to grab a nice cheesesteak.

          Of course you all know that if you wanted to spend some time sightseeing or taking a tour, Philadelphia is the Birthplace of our nation: sporting such features as the Liberty bell, Betsy Ross’s house (where our first flag was knitted) Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence was drafted and signed), and of course the Rocky statue lol. Also the Mutter Museum, and the Philadelphia Art Museum is renowned for its collection of impressionist artwork.

          There is also a horse track and a casino about 12 minutes away for some of you heh (ahem Miller).

          As for action, there are plenty of regulars in the area and most will gamble in 1P! Or you can always play me!! Hahah.

          Now for some pics...


          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
            Steve, I thought for sure it was moved to 6/7 - 6/9
            I thought we talked about adding a Thursday too? The people that don’t go have been offended by the late endings. Adding a Thursday allows us to finish with just four players on a Sunday.
            Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scrzbill View Post
              I thought we talked about adding a Thursday too? The people that don’t go have been offended by the late endings. Adding a Thursday allows us to finish with just four players on a Sunday.
              Some players like to come Rhursday anyway, but before we push to Thursday we need to utilize Friday more to start with. For example in CA we intentionally did not play a any one loss rounds Friday because the room owner was not keen on having players eliminated the first day. I think now we know we have to, and also we have more experience with our own players, so we KNOW most of them stick around to visit and mix and match anyway so really it is not at all an issue that some players will be eliminated that first day.

              I know we have had many conversations about how to keep the finals from running so late Sunday, but the first and simplest thing by far is just to set goals for Friday and Saturday and play until we reach them. That alone is going to get us 90% there IMO
              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
              -- Strawberry Brooks

              Comment


              • #8
                Sticking with a 3/3 format then I think Michaels' w/12 tables is a no-brainer to start play on Thursday.

                3/3 format @ Bluegrass w//16 tables & 1/4 (8 players) of the field eliminated the first day, I think will probably work. Play would start appox. 12-1pm, allowing for 4hrs./match on avg. then I believe two rds. could be finished @ approx. 9-10pm.

                Question is; do you want to play another rd.? Possibly if your at 9pm. Later than that I would be hesitant, siting nutrition/player fatique vs. enjoying other venues of socializing/matching up. And opt. for playing an extra rd. on Saturday night, for play can get started earlier.

                Saturday, I feel, as it was with MOT Cal. Billiards that if they will open the doors for practice to start @ 9am, this gives us an extra hour. Why is this important, I feel an extra rd. will be needed to be played on Sat. night if we are to get to 4 players on Sunday as Scrzbil suggests!

                This is off the top of my head without a whole lot of thought going into it. Whitey

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                  Some players like to come Rhursday anyway, but before we push to Thursday we need to utilize Friday more to start with. For example in CA we intentionally did not play a any one loss rounds Friday because the room owner was not keen on having players eliminated the first day. I think now we know we have to, and also we have more experience with our own players, so we KNOW most of them stick around to visit and mix and match anyway so really it is not at all an issue that some players will be eliminated that first day.

                  I know we have had many conversations about how to keep the finals from running so late Sunday, but the first and simplest thing by far is just to set goals for Friday and Saturday and play until we reach them. That alone is going to get us 90% there IMO

                  I’ll try anything if it will keep the people who DONT COME happy
                  Coyotes, Eagles, and Deer, oh my!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Michael's Billiards, Cincinnati - possible location for 2019 member tourney

                    Here was my initial post on Michaels:

                    I finally had a chance to speak to Michael yesterday on my drive home from work and as Steve pointed out in another thread he is interested in being considered for hosting our tourney next year!

                    I am sure I will leave some stuff out but here are the things I know:

                    Website:
                    https://www.michaelsbilliards.com/

                    - Open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday (there is always action to be had at all levels)

                    - They only have (11) 9' Diamond tables which he said 10 are good to use for the tourney. However, he said in most of the tourneys, the magic number for 32 players is 8 tables. I told him we usually use more and sometimes matches can run longer so the more we can get the better. Is 10 enough for our tourney?

                    - $15 green fees would cover us for the entire tourney.

                    - It's non-smoking (everywhere in Ohio)

                    - Calcutta is ok!

                    - They have finger foods, hot sandwiches, drinks at the counter but there are also lots of places close by to eat at as well.

                    - about 40-45 minutes from CVG Airport

                    - There are several hotels within a few miles of the pool room and I think most average about $80-$100 a night. I will see if there is any chance on getting a special rate at one of them.

                    - Goldy has his cameras set up in there so I am sure we would have the stream part covered, not sure whats all involved in getting a booth set up and going for commentary.

                    - Locals will do a lot of bank ring games and by the rail games for those interested in bumps as well.

                    - They also have a 3 cushion table (not heated), a 10 footer and a bunch of bar tables. They have 2 or 3 of the 9 footer tables with tighter pockets that he only allows one pocket to be played on so we could use these for finals, etc.


                    I think that's all I have for now, but as long as we can make due with 10 tables, we can add Michael's to the poll for voting!

                    ---------

                    Since then I think he said he has 12 tables now that would be usable for the event.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                      Here was my initial post on Michaels:

                      I finally had a chance to speak to Michael yesterday on my drive home from work and as Steve pointed out in another thread he is interested in being considered for hosting our tourney next year!

                      I am sure I will leave some stuff out but here are the things I know:

                      Website:
                      https://www.michaelsbilliards.com/

                      - Open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday (there is always action to be had at all levels)

                      - They only have (11) 9' Diamond tables which he said 10 are good to use for the tourney. However, he said in most of the tourneys, the magic number for 32 players is 8 tables. I told him we usually use more and sometimes matches can run longer so the more we can get the better. Is 10 enough for our tourney?

                      - $15 green fees would cover us for the entire tourney.

                      - It's non-smoking (everywhere in Ohio)

                      - Calcutta is ok!

                      - They have finger foods, hot sandwiches, drinks at the counter but there are also lots of places close by to eat at as well.

                      - about 40-45 minutes from CVG Airport

                      - There are several hotels within a few miles of the pool room and I think most average about $80-$100 a night. I will see if there is any chance on getting a special rate at one of them.

                      - Goldy has his cameras set up in there so I am sure we would have the stream part covered, not sure whats all involved in getting a booth set up and going for commentary.

                      - Locals will do a lot of bank ring games and by the rail games for those interested in bumps as well.

                      - They also have a 3 cushion table (not heated), a 10 footer and a bunch of bar tables. They have 2 or 3 of the 9 footer tables with tighter pockets that he only allows one pocket to be played on so we could use these for finals, etc.


                      I think that's all I have for now, but as long as we can make due with 10 tables, we can add Michael's to the poll for voting!

                      ---------

                      Since then I think he said he has 12 tables now that would be usable for the event.
                      He no longer has the 10' table and he told me he has 13 9' tables now. Apparently a mix of red and blue label Diamonds but the red ones have been re-cushioned to the blue setups.
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I booked rooms at Sheraton Hotel - about a block away from Blue Grass Billiards - 6 nights for $530. Priceline.com


                        Lots of historical places to visit in area. Looking forward to a philly cheese steak at Campo's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          2019 MOT location ballot

                          Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
                          I booked rooms at Sheraton Hotel - about a block away from Blue Grass Billiards - 6 nights for $530. Priceline.com





                          Lots of historical places to visit in area. Looking forward to a philly cheese steak at Campo's

                          That’s Fantastic, Robert! Two other things in case we do end up in Philly..

                          1.I am going to get a round of golf together on Thursday or Friday am for anyone who likes. There are some nice courses not too far and we should have a great time!

                          2.My wife is likely going to put together a “Spa outing” on Saturday for any of the wives who come to town if they would like. Figured that would be nice for them
                          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                            That’s Fantastic, Robert! Two other things in case we do end up in Philly..

                            1.I am going to get a round of golf together on Thursday or Friday am for anyone who likes. There are some nice courses not too far and we should have a great time!

                            2.My wife is likely going to put together a “Spa outing” on Saturday for any of the wives who come to town if they would like. Figured that would be nice for them
                            Game on sir. Lizz and I are in!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Proposed 1p.org host for 2019 BlueGrass Billiards in Philly!

                              Originally posted by jerry matchin View Post
                              Hey guys, anyone know the distance from the closest major airport, lodging and etc.?


                              PHL international Airport is about 16 miles away, Jerry.

                              Regarding hotel:

                              Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
                              I booked rooms at Sheraton Hotel - about a block away from Blue Grass Billiards - 6 nights for $530. Priceline.com
                              Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X