scott alex 3 coninued

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Beatle, in dealing with this scenario a OP player should get proficient in doing the Alex's method and also straight back banking the 5.

I agree with you that Alex's shot is not the shot to be taken in this scenario. Since the 5 is not deep into the pocket and can be banked then that is the shot. Just bank it right in the hole, no different that a cross corner bank! Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
for me getting the last ball on the table close to your hole and not easily bankable to there pocket is the best way to maintain control. end game is all about who is reacting to the who !

The nice thing about alex's shot is it holds cue ball on the long rail and makes the return bank much harder.

Kybanks

Verified Member
object ball has too come close to the side pocket to make it. too many things can go wrong. not for me for sure. and unless you make it or put it in the jaws it just gets kicked away.

I couldn't agree more with this. It's a nothing shot unless it goes.

beatle

Verified Member
first whitey i agreed in my first post about one rail bank.

and of course hitting near your hole is important with one ball left. but hitting it in the right area is most important as a little off and it can easily turn into a sellout. his two rail cant be controlled good enough to take that chance.

and most times you bank toward your hole you are doing it with a real good chance of making it. other wise positioning it is the better shot.

like i said his shot goes too near the side pocket for me. that is half a diamond of sellout in the way.

and against a very good player just hitting a ball near your hole wont win you many games. he gets to kick it away or make an aggressive shot on you unless you place it well.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Not really, because Alex has control of the ball right now.

Alex kicked at that last ball because that was the only way for him to control the game. The one railer from there is fraught with peril. It’s so easy to get a kiss from there and even if you hit it pretty good who knows where the cue ball ends up, probably leaving a good bank. That kick allows the cue ball to park right there, you’d have to hit it super bad to leave a good return.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
first whitey i agreed in my first post about one rail bank.

and of course hitting near your hole is important with one ball left. but hitting it in the right area is most important as a little off and it can easily turn into a sellout. his two rail cant be controlled good enough to take that chance.

and most times you bank toward your hole you are doing it with a real good chance of making it. other wise positioning it is the better shot.

like i said his shot goes too near the side pocket for me. that is half a diamond of sellout in the way.

and against a very good player just hitting a ball near your hole wont win you many games. he gets to kick it away or make an aggressive shot on you unless you place it well.

You do know that ball hits a diamond from the side pocket. Not too close:lol

beatle

Verified Member
well it looks to me to stick the cueball you have to hit it short. and it doesnt look like its a diamond short of the side pocket to make it. but i am lousy at guessing from a picture.

still i am happy to have someone shoot that for the cash on me anytime rather than a few of the other options..

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
well it looks to me to stick the cueball you have to hit it short. and it doesnt look like its a diamond short of the side pocket to make it. but i am lousy at guessing from a picture.

still i am happy to have someone shoot that for the cash on me anytime rather than a few of the other options..

I’m sure Mitch can help you out with that for a hundred:lol

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
A couple of things;
I tried the one rail bank many times and never got a kiss, and was always able to hold the cue within one diamond of the head rail.

When doing the kick two rail bank it is not easy to make the cb stick right there, for the angle the cb is laying on is to sharp of an angle and it back cuts the 5 allowing the cb to come out away from the corner. So you have to change the angle by hitting short of your mark and by using a lot of right hand spin, this helps to hold the cb. And 'yes' the 5 comes off approx. the 3rd. diamond to go into Alex's hole.

Both shots are no givens, they take practice.

Thanks once again Larry! What's seems easy for these lifer's is not for me, so I work through these shots! I had no luck at all trying PJ's shot! My corner pocket points are not to sharp so this might of effected it. Whitey

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
A couple of things;
I tried the one rail bank many times and never got a kiss, and was always able to hold the cue within one diamond of the head rail.

When doing the kick two rail bank it is not easy to make the cb stick right there, for the angle the cb is laying on is to sharp of an angle and it back cuts the 5 allowing the cb to come out away from the corner. So you have to change the angle by hitting short of your mark and by using a lot of right hand spin, this helps to hold the cb. And 'yes' the 5 comes off approx. the 3rd. diamond to go into Alex's hole.

Both shots are no givens, they take practice.

Thanks once again Larry! What's seems easy for these lifer's is not for me, so I work through these shots! I had no luck at all trying PJ's shot! My corner pocket points are not to sharp so this might of effected it. Whitey

Thanks for taking the shot to the table. After looking at the pic again I agree it’s not close to a kiss. I’ve played plenty of players that would shoot the one railer but controlling the cue ball on a thin hit is not in the cards.

I tried to find that shot on the YouTube replay to see where Alex parked the cue ball.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks for taking the shot to the table. After looking at the pic again I agree it’s not close to a kiss. I’ve played plenty of players that would shoot the one railer but controlling the cue ball on a thin hit is not in the cards.

I tried to find that shot on the YouTube replay to see where Alex parked the cue ball.
Thanks, Pilot! I put the cb on a wider angle such as from the 5th diamond just past the side, and then the cb will stick by using center ball.

I tried to develop a kicking aiming formula as to where to contact the point on the rail, but was unsuccessful. As a starting point I drew a line from the left side of the 5 to the cushion then aimed backed from that approx. 3/8", and that worked well. When using right hand english just above center, I then aimed a little back from that, and it worked well in keeping the cb in that corner. Without having some kind of starting point I was totally lost as to where to contact the rail, for it does not look right for it seems you are aiming to deep past the 5 ball to contact it right, so developing a starting point really helped!

My banking % was low for making the ball, but % of keeping the cb by the head rail was very high when using center 1/2 tip left english. I either had a bad day of banking, or can not bank anymore, or it is just a hard bank. Probably not seeing the bank well, but it should be banked close to pocket speed to avoid leaving a return easy shot! Whitey

beatle

Verified Member
yes as rod said. as it stood too much room for error on your first try. any shot after multiple tries gets close but we are talking cold turkey at the table.